I don't understand the twobacks.

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

angelofROOM302
Historical Society Historian

I don't understand the twobacks.

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Delete this please.
Thank you =]!
Last edited by angelofROOM302 on 24 Apr 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Re: I don't understand the twobacks.

Post by Video Gamer »

angelofROOM302 wrote:I keep hearing everyone say that they represent two people have sexual intercourse but I don't see it. I searched and I didn't find a forum about this. Anyone willing to explain this, since I really don't understand.

I thought ever since I first played this game that they represented Travis and his father? Anyone else think that?
...Unless his dad raped him up the ass, no, it doesn't represent him and his father. o_o
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

From this thread:
MisterGrey wrote:In the play Othello, treacherous Iago, trying to ruin Othello's life, convinces him that his wife is cheating on him-- using the phrase "beast with two backs" as a euphemism for sexual intercourse.
MisterGrey wrote:. . .the imagery is taken from Alessa's having seen these plays. . . The twoback is literally manifested into a "beast with two backs--" the kind of literal interpretation a child would have (anyone here grow up on Rugrats, where every adult expression was taken at face value by the kids?)
Beast With Two Backs: Origin
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Hmm, good. I finally got a good look at them. I'm usually running or shooting them down so I didn't really see that.
Thanks a bunch.
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

I like the way you first see them in a seedy motel around the same time Travis busts Kaufman and Lisa. And he's been to that motel before so mabey he'd seen what went on back them. Given that, I'd say the monster was a Travis special. There's nothing else in game to explain it.
Double Helix, I spit on your grave! :evil:
Nicole
Just Passing Through

Post by Nicole »

Sex, pretty much.
...in bed.
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

OH, well what I was wondering before (and I actually still am) is that I think the two-backs don't exactly represent 'sex.'
Nicole
Just Passing Through

Post by Nicole »

angelofROOM302 wrote:OH, well what I was wondering before (and I actually still am) is that I think the two-backs don't exactly represent 'sex.'
More sexual frustration. The Two-Backs are like two bodies fused together. Because Travis is on the road so often, he doesn't exactly have time for any sort of relationship with anyone. To me, the monster is a twisted manifestation of that.
...in bed.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

exactly, and it's the typical Trucker stereotype.. being that it's rumored that Truckers tend to sleep with Women in the cab of their truck. Plus it's referenced at the beginning of the game.. by Travis Trucker buddy on his radio.. saying that Travis would sleep like a baby with a chick in his cab. I believe that has alot to do with it also.. perhaps that was planted in his mind by his buddy when he said that.. and as soon as he entered the town it manifested in the form of the twoback..

or perhaps like the poster above said.. that it was something that travis had seen when he was a child at the hotel. It's hard to tell for sure.. but I believe that to be the reason perhaps I dunno.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
MariaRising
Gravedigger

Post by MariaRising »

Imo, it could've been what he saw at the hotel. Richard was upset, lonely and frustrated because Helen was in that sanitorium. He could've easily done something of that nature given enough time. Although the idea about Travis and the cab makes sense too.
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

maria_rising1991 wrote:Imo, it could've been what he saw at the hotel. Richard was upset, lonely and frustrated because Helen was in that sanitorium. He could've easily done something of that nature given enough time. Although the idea about Travis and the cab makes sense too.
Oh, god, I don't wanna think about it. >_< But it's plausible, isn't it?
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Richard Grady wrote:To my absent wife,

[. . .]The Helen I loved is gone, but your body is still here! I have slept alone for the last two years. I've become so bitter, so sleazy! I'm no father to Travis. [. . .]
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Does anyone have a really good picture of the monster?
To me, it looks as if someone is just on the back of a really big person-thingie.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

>Does anyone have a really good picture of the monster?

The symbolism is QUITE obvious.
Last edited by Jonipoon on 17 Jul 2008, edited 1 time in total.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

So much so that it isn't symbolism D: Plus the name alone really just... slaps you in the face.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Eww!
Why is the thing in the back way smaller?

:shock:
Akward.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

I don't think people who react that way to SH monsters should be playing a SH game...

Anyway, if you look closely: The two bodies are essentially the same size. There is a bulbous under-mass with legs that makes the body in front look bigger. Those "legs" near the rear-most torso could very well be the legs of the front-most body, just... obviously open, thus making the big legs at the bottom belong to the thing in the back.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

Awesome, that's the first time I see a mod not using the "Edit" button.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Clearly there was a post in between the two of mine, but Detective Cartland deleted his for some reason.
Detective Cartland
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Detective Cartland »

Sorry about that whole mess, my bad. I deleted my post because it was totally irrelevant.
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Juridawn/Graphics/DouglasSig.jpg[/img]
[i]"And everything seemed to be going so well...."[/i]