tv's and toasters - are the weapons a little silly?

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Noirness
Just Passing Through

tv's and toasters - are the weapons a little silly?

Post by Noirness »

i mean, come on, there is NO way a man of even Travis' stature can cart around a thousand tv's PLUS an i.v. drip stand. they are great weapons for sure, but the premise is illogical and irks me.
A human caught
in monochrome dreams
I scream to wake up
My voice drowns deep underground

http://inmonochromedream.blogspot.com
Dutchman
Gravedigger

Post by Dutchman »

These are the kinds of weapons you should use immediately, not carrying around... I haven't played Origins yet (soon :twisted:) so I really can't judge...
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/Ghoul68/banner_shh_4.png[/img]
Noirness
Just Passing Through

Post by Noirness »

well, i sort of saw them as the weapons to use on weaker enemies or as ammo runs low...but despite this fact or your suggestion, a portable tv (although portable) is still way too large to fit in one's pocket.

i highly suggest you pick up a copy and start playing. it's great to get back into a game with a true silent hill feel. :)
A human caught
in monochrome dreams
I scream to wake up

crucifix
Historical Society Historian

Post by crucifix »

the IV stand is the most ridiculous, in my opinion. couldn't stand to use it.

i mean... he just pulls it out of nowhere; it's bigger than he is. i know it's a video game, but it kinda ruins the realism.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
Noirness
Just Passing Through

Post by Noirness »

that's exactly how i feel...the realism is gone. i mean, the guy is not wearing clown pants or any sort of pants that could fit an i.v. drip stand. i think they should have stuck to guns and knives.

i like being able to use fists when ammo is in short supply. i can't remember...could you use fists in sh2?
A human caught
in monochrome dreams
I scream to wake up

crucifix

Post by crucifix »

Noirness wrote:i like being able to use fists when ammo is in short supply. i can't remember...could you use fists in sh2?
nope, SH0 is the first to implement attacking without a weapon.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
Empty_Eyes

Post by Empty_Eyes »

Certainly no fist and to me that wouldn't have fit with James personality. With the Travis being a bit rougher around the edges it works better, but still could you imagine punching some of those things, as anything but a last means? The weapon system was a good idea in theory but left a lot to be desired in practice. I don't think the weapon system itself was ever broken in the previous games, and thus didn't need improving. I agree that the fist is a plus...

Most items just didn't have a decent life expectancy... rather then pick up 15 tire irons how about 3... and they last as long as 15.
Noirness
Just Passing Through

Post by Noirness »

Most items just didn't have a decent life expectancy... rather then pick up 15 tire irons how about 3... and they last as long as 15.
i just stopped using them. you're in the middle of bashing a mutated turkey (if any have yet to encounter these things, don't ask. just enjoy) and you're piece of wood breaks. then you have to frig with the weapon switchy system until you find something else to battle with. by this time you are probably toast.

yeah, punching is not really james' style. maybe if they established a sissy slapping fighting system *lol*
A human caught
in monochrome dreams
I scream to wake up

SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

I found them completely pointless as i never bothered to use them as I got frustrated trying to time the charge right and even the melee weapons I didn't use so much becuase I got paranoid that I was going to lose all of them before I knew it. What did i do? I ran, ran like a mofo.
maybe if they established a sissy slapping fighting system *lol*
a bitch slap would have been more sufice with Maria then james. :wink:
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
Xigz
Hope House Careworker

Post by Xigz »

Harry couldn't carry a emergency hammer in his coat, but he does.

James can't carry around a gigantic knife in his mere jacket, but he manages.

Heather can't carry an SMG in he vest, but she gets by.

Henry can't lug around a pick ax in his pockets, but he gets along.
[b]I'm constant now, and useful too.
I know my eyes cannot see through.[/b]
put_here_2_feel_joy
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by put_here_2_feel_joy »

SilentMadness wrote:a bitch slap would have been more suffice with Maria then James. :wink:
LOL There would have to be a cut scene of Maria taking off her earrings to go along with that option.

I have yet to play the game but I don't think I'll mind. I never cared when Heather took out her katana out of god knows where. But... the tv? I guess they're just taking some of our requests for more random blunt weapons a bit too seriously...
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1/Dredge_/sunsetcopy.jpg[/img]
Ashmodean
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Ashmodean »

I have yet to play the game but I don't think I'll mind. I never cared when Heather took out her katana out of god knows where. But... the tv? I guess they're just taking some of our requests for more random blunt weapons a bit too seriously...
Exactly. Just like Harry and his damn hutning rifle, shotgun, fireaxe, hatchet, chainsaw, katana, and numurous health items.
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

I found it a bit excessive in this title, one thing is a hunting rifle, another thing is 10 portable TVs and 10 drip stands. In the previous titles it was more acceptable.
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

I do understand why they would use the one hit weapons. You gotta take what you can get, right? :wink:
I think they just assumed that we would be using them more. Notice how they kept the ammo low?
Of course it would be easier to fight with the firearms but with low ammo, what else is stronger (besides the gauntlets of course) then the melee weapons? The ONE HIT melee weapons!
:wink: :wink: :wink:
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
Dutchman
Gravedigger

Post by Dutchman »

Noirness wrote:I highly suggest you pick up a copy and start playing. it's great to get back into a game with a true silent hill feel. :)
I've already pre-ordered it. The PS2 version comes out on the 15th of May in the Netherlands...
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/Ghoul68/banner_shh_4.png[/img]
Empty_Eyes

Post by Empty_Eyes »

As far as switching weapons mid-combat. Hit select (or whatever pops you into the menu screen on PSP) and just equip another weapon, Viola! Your back in stabbing action...

However rather then bitch entirely about the weapons, my new favorite weapon.... the screw driver... now that's fucking malicious. Stab, Stab, Stab!

I have always been of the variety to utilize the melee weapons a bit more then the shooty things. Every since the first games um questionable hit detection, I've found myself just going with the melee. Besides they never gave us any indication that any of these people possessed the ability to accurately shoot firearms... not that accuracy is needed that badly at point-blank... but still.
Noirness
Just Passing Through

Post by Noirness »

I've already pre-ordered it. The PS2 version comes out on the 15th of May in the Netherlands...
awww, poor netherlands :( we've had it here since april. i had NO idea it was being released for ps2 until i saw it in a store one day and immediately bought it. it was such a pleasant surprise :)
I found it a bit excessive in this title, one thing is a hunting rifle, another thing is 10 portable TVs and 10 drip stands. In the previous titles it was more acceptable.
the previous games were better suited to a suspension of disbelief, where we kind of just forgot that james tucked a gigantic knife somewhere in his pants. but in origins, it IS way excessive. the melee weapons are so frequent that you can't help but wonder where travis keeps all this crap.

btw, chism, what *is* that in your avatar???

maybe travis should carry around a big sack like santa clause. then, if you don't have time to pull out a tv, you can whack your enemies with your bag o' weapons.
A human caught
in monochrome dreams
I scream to wake up

angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

It makes me wonder where on earth he crams all of this stuff, but of course it's a game.

When I didn't have my moon gauntlets, the drip stands were my best friends. :)
BarbwireEmbrace
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by BarbwireEmbrace »

Some of the weapons were slightly silly, I agree. The majority of them I didn't use. The I.V. stands were pretty much useless. Once I had the gauntlets, there was no need.
Noirness
Just Passing Through

Post by Noirness »

can you get the gauntlets right away or only in the replay?
A human caught
in monochrome dreams
I scream to wake up