Opening Movie: The Figure in the Road

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Droo

Post by Droo »

Yes, but I can't just accept that. My mind cries out for an explanation and I want one, dammit.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

Isn't it possible that Alessa 'sensed' him earlier on? I know this is just me relying on my memory, until I can go find a video of this scenario, but I seem to remember hearing a little girl's voice whisper "Travis" in a sing-song way as he runs down the road before finding Alessa's home. This happens again in a later part of the game, I think.

Although honestly the only sense I can make of it is that it was an homage to Silent Hill 1 and Harry's introduction to the town. Both men almost creamed a bitch who stumbled into the road.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Well Alessa definitely makes contact with Travis before he finds the Gillespie home. She appears in the mirror and on the road after he gets out of the truck, remember?

And, yeah, it's a clear homage to SH1. The problem is, it's a sloppy homage that thus far makes little to no narrative sense.
Lives in the mirror"
Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Number 7 »

Well, if it hadn't been a person wearing a raincoat, they could just have had Alessa run out into the middle of the road as a little girl. Then it would have been an homage and made sense.
"He's underground now. His new name is Number Seven."
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

>Well Alessa definitely makes contact with Travis before he finds the Gillespie home. She appears in the mirror and on the road after he gets out of the truck, remember?

Now I do! lol Sorry, Origins is probably my weakest link in terms of things I have memorized/down pat about the series.
Droo

Post by Droo »

And rightfully so.

Number7: It's the raincoat/robe thing that really makes this whole thing confusing. If it was merely an homage to SH1's opening, why not just have Alessa wear the blue dress she wears in this very scene in SH1 (and that child Alessa is wearing throughout the game) instead of this robe cloak thing?

It makes my brain burn. We need to figure out who/what the hell this figure was, people!
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Why?
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Because it's the most overt problem with Origins?
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

That is?

What about the presence of the [otherside] before it could possibly have existed?
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

That can/may be explainable by some logic acrobatics or retconning of the nature of the Otherworld itself.

I have proposed before that Travis is the source of Alternate Silent Hill, through the town's manifestation of Helen's belief in a world beyond the mirror, which Travis no doubt heard about from her during her verbal tirades. As one of his fears, the town manifested it as part of his personal trial. Alessa, tapped into Travis, realized the effectiveness of such an Otherworld and came up with her plan as executed in SH1, using Travis' Otherworld concept adapted for her own purposes.

Thus, the Otherworld exists in Origins as part of Travis' personal demons made real.

It's not perfect but it's a start. On the other hand, there is no explanation for who/what the cloaked figure is.
Lives in the mirror"
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

Maybe it's the Ghost of Christmas Future. Looks kind of like him, anyway. :lol:

I love random, irreverent remarks.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

I don't know who or what is this "shadow" but I tought it was Dahlia. Well, guess I'm wrong. 8)
I mean, "it" was on the road, then Travis get out of his truck and then Dahlia is next to the house... I mean, if it was her what happened? She teleported or what?! There's a shortcut nearby? Hell, that's not her.. It can't be Alessa too, like some people said... Who's it? it could be a Cult member, who knows?

Dunno if that was said before but I won't look at 16 pages, I'm kinda bored right now =\
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>That can/may be explainable by some logic acrobatics or retconning
Then so can, well . . . everything, including your mysterious cloaked figure.

As long as we're excusing retroactive continuity, the figure is Alessa. There we go. Soblem prolved.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Then why does she appear as an adult cloaked figure when she runs in front of Travis' truck, and then less than two minutes later as her young, school uniform-clad self?

Don't be a smartass. We're not discussing the Otherworld in this thread, so try and refrain from throwing a hissy fit about it here. It's irrelevant to what we're discussing here. If you're not going to assist in extending an actual explanation, then you can stop spamming the thread and just say nothing, k?
Lives in the mirror"
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

>And rightfully so.

It's got nothing to do with its story or retconning or whatever, it's just that I never beat it, nor do I own it. ;)
Droo

Post by Droo »

Oh. Haha.

You're not missing much. :P
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I'm not being a smartass, nor am I "spamming." My point is valid. I'm providing an explanation w/ your own justifications: If everything can be explained w/ a retcon here or there, then so, too, can this.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Except it's not consistent with it's own explanation, like Droo said.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Droo

Post by Droo »

^ Thank you.

Your throwaway "explanation" is self-contradictory within a very short time period.
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

How is that retcon unacceptable when yours is? We're already throwing consistency away—what's it matter?

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.