Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 10 Dec 2018

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 02 Jul 2007
Notes left: 253
Last seen at: Palm Harbor
True...I guess it's just a comfort to feel like you're not alone in Silent Hill. After all, when you're alone it;s easier to get lost, be it in a forest or shadows. (Don't ask where that came from)

Another way of looking at it could be that sure, Travis thought of himself as responsible for his families collapse. Is that whole "Family Butcher" thing is a reflection of that misplaced guilt then The Butcher attacking him could be two things.

1: Guilt over taking him to the point of wanting to hurt/ kill himself. As many children feel after family break-ups. This go's both ways win or loose. If The Butcher wins, Travis is dead and therefore punished himself. If Travis wins, he's killed that other part of (what could be seen as) himself.

Or 2: Travis' lurking fear that after all was said and done, no mother, no father, he was next. And if he saw this Butcher (which reprisents himself) as the one responsible for their death, the it would take him. Which is basicaly suicide.
His fighting back proves he's grown stronger than all of that, and that he's ready to live guilt free.

I mean I can't totally be wrong right? :oops:

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11381
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
I like the first idea you presented. The Butcher certainly represents self-loathing, as it's Travis's Shadow.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1299
Considering that Travis had been grappling with that monster for 30 years or so, it sure went down easy. Spray it with a clip from the AK, pop it a few times with the .44, and it's Bye Bye Butchie.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11381
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Well, killing something tangible is a lot easier than reformatting your own mind.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1299
It kind of makes Silent Hill a sort of "one stop general therapy" place. Go to Silent Hill. Watch all your inner demons take tangible form. And then KILL THEM!!

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 02 Jul 2007
Notes left: 253
Last seen at: Palm Harbor
Yeah, that is sort of what parents do to comport their kids. My mother in particular. When I was really young, like 5. I had a dream about her having an evil twin. So she sat me down and we talked about this evil twin, and she told me that if I just imagined this evil twin getting killed, it would go away. So she told me about how the evil one got into a car accident, went over a bridge and the car blew up. Then she was eaten by piranha's which were then destroyed by a nuclear missile...Far fetched...Damn right it was, it was ridiculous but it worked. I never was scared of "her" again. Pardon the life story. Point is that that was a lot like an internal take on Silent Hill. You're own personal demons, faced and settled...even if with me it took weapons of mass destruction to do it.

Come to think of it, maybe that's my I'm so weird, :P

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 06 Jun 2008
Notes left: 693
ForteChef, you and your mother are awesome, XD.

I wish my mom told me crazy shit like that when I had bad dreams.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 Jun 2008
Notes left: 14
Last seen at: Otherworld
Sionnan wrote:
Let's look at the words "The Family Butcher".

One can take it several ways: "family" as being an adjective for "butcher" (i.e. a butcherer of families). Actually, it would be an incorrect statement to take it as has been suggested, because the phrase would have to be modified to say "the family butcherer"

"Butcher" is a job, as it is a verb. You can butcher a family, but if you wanted to say that someone had butchered a family, as in a person who agented the butchery, it would be "the family butcherer". Not "the family butcher".

Instead, the phrase is a description of who employs the butcher- "the family". Here is where we can get metaphorical. Is "the family" the cult? The Gillespie family? The Grady family? Or is it referring to anybody who uses the idea of a butcher as a symbols as a family?

Each of these has different connotations. Were it the cult, it would imply that the cult uses the butcher as a sort of watchdog. Using it for the Gillespie or Grady family could either mean the murderous intent within each of them, or as an agent of one family member who butchers another or other people.

I'd take it as the latter-most. As a generic inclusion of everyone who uses the image of a butcher to represent something, either a part of themselves or a token from their past, or what have you.

I like the direction you're taking, it opens more possibilities. I also like that you seem to be saying the Butcher was formed from not just Travis, but from the minds of many others. While this puts cracks in the "Silent Hill is a personal hell" theory I enjoy so much, I like the new roads we can walk with this.

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Aug 2008
Notes left: 1053
Last seen at: Australia
I think that that is just how Travis' mind accepts the things that are happening around him.
I think the number of times you play has something to do with how Travis feels about the situation.
i.e: First run through of the game, happy ending. Fluffy bunnies and rainbows etc etc. Second time, Travis cannot accept the ending he received, he cannot forgive his mother or accept that the death of his parents was not his fault. So he replays everything over in his head. He refuses to see things as the town (and his emotions) portray them, so the only logical answer in his mind is that he has gone insane. He 'becomes' the butcher, but in his own mind.
I love in SH3 when Vincent says to Heather (about the monsters she has been killing) "Huh..? They look like monsters to you!?"
I just loved the look on her face