Why 0rigins is not okay. Large review.

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

0rigins in you opinion compared with 1-4

5. It's great. Like original 1-4 saga.
43%
4. Good. But not as 1-4.
37%
3. Mediocre. Has some good points. But it could be better if it wasn't released.
17%
2. Awful. Make me unseen it!
2%

Total votes: 83

FiliusMartis
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FiliusMartis »

First of all, I played Origins on the PS2 so maybe that's why I don't see some of these problems. If that's part of the reason, then please excuse me. So, anyway, I loved Origins...
- You can't choose the difficulty. Okay, no difficulties for the puzzles. But was it really difficult to make action part harder or easier?
Yes, that was a little annoying, but it wasn't anything massive. I found the game quite challenging to be honest. And items and such did adjust to how well you were doing..
- Number of locations. The game is really short. The way they get out form that situation is making us run from one world to another. This sucks especially in Sanitarium cause this location is really boring.
This game took me quite a bit longer than Silent Hill 3, and about the same amount of time as Silent Hill 2... which I spent most of my time finding road blocks. So I don't think it was that short.
- Unlimited inventory. You can have number of weapons to fill Travis' truck! This looks ridiculous. I want to fear and not to laugh for all the game.
- Weapons that break to easily. Okay, wooden stick breaks in a few strikes. But what about katana?...
- Fighting with bare hands. Does that really give you sence of fear?
I did find it a little amusing that you could carry several TVs and such... :lol: But then when you think about it... could you carry several guns, a pipe, a hammer, some first aid kits, etc etc etc? No. And the weapons breaking made me terrified. A weapon could snap at any second and then there's that tiny gap that you're open. Furthermore, fighting with your bare hands does give you a sense of fear. Which will be more effective... shooting or punching? What are the chances that you'd realistically find a gun lying around anyway? You just can't have a perfect level of realism and a fun game like this at the same time...
- Travis who runs so bad.
Aww poor Travis. Again, scared me a little, but it was manageable. Most people can't run for miles nonstop without getting out of breath. It made him realistic.
- Travis storyline. We already had one guy who forgot, that he killed. Although he wasn't maniac with hard childhood. His story is secondary, predictable and is just not interesting.
Really? I found James Sunderland's story to be very predictable so it just varies. Honestly though, the good ending is more than likely canon... so he didn't forget he killed. Even if the Bad ending is canon.. which makes no sense to me, it still leaves a lot open if you look for it.
- Alessa storyline and her new characher. From a poor girl, that just wants to be loved by her mother and ready to forgive her everything, they just changed her into a little senseless bitch. And they didn't open her actual story. Travis saves her - she appears several times doing nothing - Travis fights demon - the end.
How was Alessa a bitch? She needed help, and Travis wanted to stay in town and help her. He never tries to leave, and he says the reason is that he needs to know what happens to Alessa... She doesn't just appear doing nothing, she appears and lets in and out of the otherworld. He's also able to figure out why she's appearing.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
She needs the Flauros.
Plus when did she ever say she was willing to forgive her mother? Sure she wanted to be with her mother and all that, before the burning, but once Dahlia put her on an altar and set her aflame, I think that deal was off. Even though Alessa may be 'using' Travis, that doesn't conflict with her character that much. Her main concern was to end her suffering and
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
to prevent the birth of the god, for the greater good.
Travis needed to face his issues anyway.
- Turning Lisa into a whore. She's not my favourite SH character, but I have to mention that.
How does sleeping with one guy make Lisa a whore? I mean, she was obviously no saint in the first place; she was a drug addict supposedly willing to keep quiet about Alessa just so she didn't have to witness it anymore. Besides, the SH1 Lisa wasn't Lisa really... it could have just been how Alessa remembered Lisa, as someone sweet and kind and caring for her. Besides, Lisa can still be sweet and kind and concerned and make some mistakes as a teenager right?
- No way to ged bad ending at the first time. Watch happy end and be happy.
Do you have that problem with the other game that implements this? I thought it was very appropriate. The good ending is probably canon, at least part of it is what we know happens to lead up to SH1. That was the point of the game, to show how the event that led up to SH1 got started.

So this is where I'll stop for now because I think I've covered enough. I had no problems with the battle system or the inventory system or anything. My only gripes were the change in Alessa and Lisa's designs, and that doesn't really affect the story or gameplay. I adore the music as well. Overall, I thought it was a fantastic game.
Mr.Death
Just Passing Through

Post by Mr.Death »

Well,we definately have a fan here.It's ok,a nice first play thru,waiting until SH5 comes out.But the storyline,I thought it was just stupid.Me anyway.Each to their own.
The death cannot die....
Michael
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Michael »

After just finishing the game for the first time after 5 hours and 20 minutes of gameplay, I thought it was rather long enough. Most of the monsters were scary, but last two bosses were a joke. Seemed like I was fighting crap from Resident Evil and Doom. The atmosphere was still Silent Hillish. The music was awesome! Being able to hold a crapload of lamps and filing cabinets felt unreal, while I thought it was nice to have wooden sticks and batons destructable. The Butcher fight was the only boss fight where I died, but that was me being a n00b and not moving around the island (his deathblow is the best ever IMHO). There are pros and cons of course, but I'd have to say this is one of my favorite games. B+
[img]http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/3135/michaelcopypc7yo8.jpg[/img]

props to XxMAGGOTxX for the av and sig.
AgentNein
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AgentNein »

Loved the 'daddy' boss. I mean, no boss was particularly difficult, but that one had the best art design for a boss Silent Hill has ever had, and that's really something considering it wasn't even made by the original SH team.
Justice has a name, and the name it has, besides justice, is Captain Hammer!
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

It was pretty cool looking, the final boss on the other hand...
AgentNein
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AgentNein »

it was cool, but in the context of Silent Hill, I agree with the people that said it looked like it should've been in a Doom game.
Justice has a name, and the name it has, besides justice, is Captain Hammer!
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

Agreed.
Empyrean
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Empyrean »

I was pleasantly surprized with this game. I expected the wost out of it since it was a PSP release but with a few minor complaints I thuroughly enjoyed the game. I was not that big on the breakable weapon thing and lack of rooms to go into and a little lack of a solid plot but other then a that it was a good little game and has renewed my hopes for SH5. I thought the series was going to be completely dried up after SH4.
ghosttrain
Just Passing Through

SH0 and the "-"

Post by ghosttrain »

i'm still playing SH0 and i don't mind the spoilers. i'm actually fairly new to the whole series (ever since the movie interested me). i started with SH2 then 3, 4, and am also in the midst(no pun intended :) ) of SH. although i'm still getting more and more of the stories and theories i really do enjoy 0. remember, the games DO need to be a little different. otherwise they'd all be boring.
what grabbed my attention is the breakable weapons. i think that only makes things more pressured. when will my weapon break? should i use my fists or quickly grab another weapon. i did notice in the inventory when you equip each item it does give a different colored '+' sign that implies how freqently it's already been used. so i think in that regard it does give a little change and add to the fear factor. a '-' i do have is that it is really dark and it's easy to miss items. even the faqs i go by miss some. and even though the bosses so far have not caused me much trouble, i still love the game.