Why 0rigins is not okay. Large review.

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

0rigins in you opinion compared with 1-4

5. It's great. Like original 1-4 saga.
43%
4. Good. But not as 1-4.
37%
3. Mediocre. Has some good points. But it could be better if it wasn't released.
17%
2. Awful. Make me unseen it!
2%

Total votes: 83

AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Alessa on the other hand was given very little speaking time in this game, which I felt was just lazy.
Because, you know, Alessa, is soooo talkative in the other games. Come on now.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
DavidGarland
Just Passing Through

Post by DavidGarland »

AuraTwilight wrote:
Alessa on the other hand was given very little speaking time in this game, which I felt was just lazy.
Because, you know, Alessa, is soooo talkative in the other games. Come on now.
Well...she didn't really have the time for it. She was hiding in the alternate silent hill after all. Don't you think this prequel would have been a good place to give Alessa a chance to talk about her situation. I mean she is still a little girl under it all. Most would have jumped at the opportunity to have a person to talk to. Alessa did have a very lonely childhood.
Lisa is not a whore.

-_-
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

I thought Alessa looked just fine in this game, and so did Lisa. I mean this is as I've said before, a game with the same characters. However it's like some films you see, in which the same characters are played by different actors, doesn't really take away from them that much, it's just a bit different in nature than the first.

However, I did not personally see a reason why Alessa should talk alot, I mean that would kind of take away from the mystery that is Alessa. And by making her ramble on and on, that would take away from her mysteriousness. ANd that folks is exactly what made Alessa what she was, mysterious.. she did not reveal her intentions, because that would defeat her entire plan towards Travis.

If Alessa had just came out, and said I"m using you to get back at the people who burned me up. Then Travis would probably have run away screaming from the town or something.. she wanted to keep Travis guessing, keep him moving forward like a puppet. At least that's the way I see it, I could be wrong however, don't really care.

And the lisa that we see in sh1, is merely a memory of the way that Alessa saw her. It wasn't really the real Lisa we were seeing in sh1.. just a memory that Alessa conjured up. Because if you remember in sh3.. Heather remembers Lisa, as a kind soul who cared for her all those days in that dark basement. However she also added that she was kind of weird though.

So the she was kind of weird part, kind of represents the fact. That Lisa was not perfect, that she had a chip on her shoulder. So even though she was very sweet to Alessa, and tried to take care of her. Lisa still had her fair share of skeletons in her closet.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
DavidGarland
Just Passing Through

Post by DavidGarland »

David01 wrote:I thought Alessa looked just fine in this game, and so did Lisa. I mean this is as I've said before, a game with the same characters. However it's like some films you see, in which the same characters are played by different actors, doesn't really take away from them that much, it's just a bit different in nature than the first.

However, I did not personally see a reason why Alessa should talk alot, I mean that would kind of take away from the mystery that is Alessa. And by making her ramble on and on, that would take away from her mysteriousness. ANd that folks is exactly what made Alessa what she was, mysterious.. she did not reveal her intentions, because that would defeat her entire plan towards Travis.

If Alessa had just came out, and said I"m using you to get back at the people who burned me up. Then Travis would probably have run away screaming from the town or something.. she wanted to keep Travis guessing, keep him moving forward like a puppet. At least that's the way I see it, I could be wrong however, don't really care.

And the lisa that we see in sh1, is merely a memory of the way that Alessa saw her. It wasn't really the real Lisa we were seeing in sh1.. just a memory that Alessa conjured up. Because if you remember in sh3.. Heather remembers Lisa, as a kind soul who cared for her all those days in that dark basement. However she also added that she was kind of weird though.

So the she was kind of weird part, kind of represents the fact. That Lisa was not perfect, that she had a chip on her shoulder. So even though she was very sweet to Alessa, and tried to take care of her. Lisa still had her fair share of skeletons in her closet.
I guess I agree in a way there. I just thought this would have been chance to remove some of the mystery around Alessa. I thought that was what prequels were supposed to do. Shine light on things.

And on the Lisa bit, you could say that the change in attitude was on account of her being 7 years younger. She must have grown into what she was in silent hill 1. I guess you could say that I just didn't like seeing her distorted from her orginial image. Makes sense.
Lisa is not a whore.

-_-
daft_emu
Just Passing Through

Post by daft_emu »

I actually got quite annoyed with Alessa in this game. I always wanted Travis to just say something like "Come on! I'm trying to help you out! You don't have to just stare at me all malevelant like, you could, ya know clue me in a little on what's going on!"
Andros
Just Passing Through

Post by Andros »

Alessa also looks too evil in this game....it seems like she always have the same angry expression on her face whenever Travis sees her. Sooo different from the slightly older Alessa from SH1...
Pain strikes like lightning.
victim21
Woodside Apartments Janitor
Location: deepest recess of Walters mind... I got a train here :D

Post by victim21 »

to be fair, if you had just been burned to a crisp to give birth to a god, you'd be looking pretty angry too.
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/The-doodler/sig.jpg[/img]
Big thanks to Milfy for my Avvy :D Sig was by me, woop!
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

I also have problems with Alessa and her evill eyes... I kmow this girl has hatred due to all that ha happened but this appearance just annoys me... When I say Alessa I have an image in my mind, that poor little girl saying "But mommy, I just want to be with you. Just the two of us. Please understand" (Her voice cracks my heart)... About Lisa, we just met a despaired and scared woman in the the first game but we never knew anything about her exceñt her drug addiction; anyway I always though that flirty smile she gives to Harry ther first tiome they met was really suspicious...

Origins was a very rushed game, maybe with a couple of months more this would be a lot better... The people complains about the unlimited room for items in this game and the people complains about the limited room for items in SH4; what do you want ? make your mind people!!
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

Origins wasn't really rushed.. It's portable. It's Silent Hill Lite, to an extent. The fact that they ported it over to the PS2 is pretty decent, I'd say. But over all, it was never really a full sized title. For what it is and does, it is a very good game.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

Andros wrote:Alessa also looks too evil in this game....it seems like she always have the same angry expression on her face whenever Travis sees her. Sooo different from the slightly older Alessa from SH1...
Well you have to think, they got a lot of inspiration from the film for this game, but even so...
Imagine, you just were nearly killed by your mother and kept alive by a nurse who only cared for you, but then again, in Alessa's eyes...
The point is, she was put threw A LOT and was probably encountering many emotions. She was bitter and hateful toward most adults, she was probably sad and lonely as well considering all that happened. Her mother wanted to kill her, if your own mother hates you, who do you have? Also as she grew into the second game, she probably lost the hate and just wanted to be loved by someone... anyone really.
daft_emu
Just Passing Through

Post by daft_emu »

I thought that maybe Alessa would find a bit of a kindred spirit in Travis, thier mothers' trying to kill both of them and all. I know that Travis didn't suffer anywhere near the extent that Alessa did, but how many people in the silent hill universe were nearly killed by thier mothers? Playing the game I started wondereing about the similarites between Travis and Alessa.
jdnation

Re: Why 0rigins is not okay. Large review.

Post by jdnation »

Wialenove wrote:Negative:

- You can't choose the difficuly. Okay, no difficulties for the puzzles. But was it really difficult to make action part harder or easier?
Well this isn't a big deal, I actually found the game hard enough... But this isn't any sort of problem...
- Number of locations. The game is really short. The way they get out form that situation is making us run from one world to another. This sucks especially in Sanitarium cause this location is really boring.
I loved every level, and anyway remember this was a game made with a portable console in mind. Or would you rather the Silent Hill Play Novel from Gameboy. I already expected from the start that they can't pack in as much as the console versions, no portable version ever does, but what they've done is outstanding and it truly is the best horror game in existence on a portable!
- Unlimited inventory. You can have number of weapons to fill Travis' truck! This looks ridiculous. I want to fear and not to laugh for all the game.
Er... well the first 1-3 games had you carrying plenty amounts of ridiculous items too! They changed it up for the 4th and everyone bitched about it being too hard to manage. And besides there's a significant reason as to why more weapons appear towards the end of the game as others have explained.
- Weapons that break to easily. Okay, wooden stick breaks in a few strikes. But what about katana?
This I agree with... some items should last longer than others. But then again introducing a more sturdy weapon does mess up the balance and probably is best avoided. Then again this can also tie into the symbolism that Travis in unconciously conjuring up weapons out of nowhere and they're not really what he thinks they are.
- Travis who runs so bad.
I didn't have a problem with it, it was more realistic than being able to continously run without trouble like in past games, kinda added to the tension and added a difficulty that wasn't so burdensome... and besides there were plenty of energy drinks to help you along.
- Alteration worlds by our own will.
I thought this one was really cool. A way to extend short levels but a cool idea none the less.
- Travis storyline. We already had one guy who forgot, that he killed. Although he wasn't maniac with hard childhood. His story is secondary, predictable and is just not interesting.
Well we're not really quite clear on what exactly happened... but I always found it interesting...
- Butcher. It really sucks cause it just is another PH-wanna-be. And meetings with him: only a few times is not enough to make him a hero of our nightmares. Not mentioning scenes with him are so awful and awkward. As the final fight with running around the table.
I agree that he was underutilized but it didn't really bother me too much. Besides, given the nature of all silent hill boss fights, it's not that different from facing Pyramid Head either... only this time there's a table...
- Alessa storyline and her new characher. From a poor girl, that just wants to be loved by her mother and ready to forgive her everything, they just changed her into a little senseless bitch. And they didn't open her actual story. Travis saves her - she appears several times doing nothing - Travis fights demon - the end.
Errr, I have to highly disagree with you on this one. This storyline of Alessa fit in. For one thing it's close to the actual time Alessa got burnt and she was just reaching out to Travis to come and help her. Nothing was added or really changed... She can't really do anything because she's trapped, that's why she needed Travis! There's nothing in 0rigins to contradict whatever you thought of her before...
- Turning Lisa into a whore. She's not my favourite SH character, but I have to mention that.
So? This is just bitching for the sake of bitching. Besides years pass between Lisa as we see her in 0rigins and as we see her in SH1. Plenty of time for characters to change...
- No way to ged bad ending at the first time. Watch happy end and be happy.
So what? That's probably because it's the true ending. There are other endings in the consoles games that require playthroughs in order to get them. And what difference does it make the first time you play it anyway? Now you're just searching for something to complain about...
- Akira' music. It's good but not as in the other parts. And Climax didn't put it in the right order.
Opinion... but what the hell is this about order? So what? It's not unusual that tracks are arranged out of place so the music flows better... Besides what the heck does the actual CD release have to do with evaluating the game itself?
- Weird finishing system. Why you have to run around the monster to get into the position you can finish it. It just steps back and you have to fight it again.
I agree that the finishing system needs a lot of work, sometimes it's hard just to finish them off...
- Fighting with bare hands. Does that really give you sence of fear?
Well it's better than being weaponless and makes sense. Though I'd prefer if it switched to another weapon, but if it switched to a gun and you're trying to conserve ammo that would be bad... So it's good enough as it is... Anyway as explained, Travis is capable of defending himself.
- Short, boring and unpithy cutscenes.
- And lack of them.
I actually took awhile to beat it and remember this is a game made for a handheld, handheld games are typically not as long as console games and they did an incredible job on the PSP! I found the game interesting and the cutscenes didn't appear that different from past games. And as usual cutscenes are kept shorter and more to teh point in handheld games built for portability.

- Bad voice acting. Ecpecially for Grady's mother. She sounds so cliche.
I found the voice acting alright, nothing bad, nothing outstanding either...
- Final fight with the monster ported from Mars. Hello Doom III.
Well it's no different than the final boss in SH1 if you fight Samael. Except this time he isn't flying around...
- Some people (who are into SH1 much) say that it actually screws SH1 storyline.
You'll have to elaborate... I am very into SH1 and I liked this and didn't find anything odd.
Mr.Death
Just Passing Through

Post by Mr.Death »

Well,I just got the game for PS2.I didn't know it was out on PS2,and I didn't know the developers changed.I did notice the in-game movies were off,they didn't have the old Silent Hill graphics,looked like alone in the dark or something.I'd say the normal/alternate world system was garbage,choosing when to go,and it just wasn't any good.No choice of difficulty,that's just stupid,the finishing system is difficult and sucks,like when you're using the shotgun,you have to waste a shell to finish.The weapons break WAY too fast.I agree with most of what you all have said.I did like the weapon selection,so many odd things,and it was more like grabbing and using whatever you could find.I think the patient demons were made way to tough and damaging,especially with no choice of difficulty.I seemed to get hurt alot,and they're weren't enough healing items.I haven't quite finished it yet,I'm in the middle of the motel,but yeah,it's too short,here,there,and that's it.Truely a terrible excuse for a prequel to the original,all the charactors are off,and seem fake and stupid,like resident evil 1.Still,I've had more fun with it than alot of the games I've played recently.I guess I'd consider it an "extra" in the SH series,but not really part of the series.I thought the giant "elephant" monsters were pretty cool,the little ones too.I've had a blast playing it though,I just got oral surgery,and have been high on Lortabs,alot more fun lol
The death cannot die....
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

Erm...you don't have to "waste a shell to finish". Once you shoot them with the shotgun and they're down, you can just walk up to them and kick them - like all the other games.
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.
abrasive
Just Passing Through

Post by abrasive »

I just realized this thread is basically the same as the "Anyone else more than slightly disappointed in this game?" thread. Should they be merged or something?
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Bishop Sasarai wrote:Erm...you don't have to "waste a shell to finish". Once you shoot them with the shotgun and they're down, you can just walk up to them and kick them - like all the other games.
Really? I could've sworn that once I got the same angle to finish them off and Travis unloaded a bullet in them... but I could be mistaken...
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

jdnation wrote: Really? I could've sworn that once I got the same angle to finish them off and Travis unloaded a bullet in them... but I could be mistaken...
Wait...I think you're right. Now I know what I did - I shot them twice or whatever with the shotgun until they went down, and then I unequipped the shotgun so that he'd kick them instead of wasting a shell.

Sorry about that.
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Bishop Sasarai wrote: I unequipped the shotgun so that he'd kick them instead of wasting a shell.
Yeah, that was my solution...
Mr.Death
Just Passing Through

Post by Mr.Death »

Oh yeah,I figured that out.I ended up just un-equiping the gun,and stomped it.Took me a little while to get used to the "straightjackets",I wasn't defending the grapple correctly,and I ended up running circles around them,then strike,or strike after the grapple.I do like the "redeemer",first time they really called a gun a magnum,or a "hand cannon".Of course they had the "revolver" in SH4,but they didn't call it a hand cannon.They put the gun in the game too late though,it was almost over by then.
The death cannot die....
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

there was so much ammo in the game that you could afford to waste a bullet finishing off an enemy.