What's the deal with the supply items?

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

MariaRising
Gravedigger

Post by MariaRising »

I noticed the lack of health items the first time I played... I don't play it much because of this lol, despite the fact I like the storyline. I'm on my third playthrough of it and I'm only just past the Butcher place wondering what I've gotten myself into lol.
KristinT
Just Passing Through

Post by KristinT »

I'm very new to gaming (I bought a Playstation 2 just so I could play Silent Hill games), and I thought Homecoming was brutal but Origins is even worse. Alarm bells started ringing when I realised there wasn't a difficulty level option at the start. I don't mind so much the weapon system (even though I think it's stupid, and wish there were fewer weapons that didn't break after you'd hit something with them all of three times) but I can't believe how few Health items there are around. The streets are swarming with enemies, and when you see a health drink somewhere, half the time you get injured in the struggle to get to it!

After just over six hours of accrued playing time (like I said, I'm new and also have a very poor sense of direction!) I've beat the Caliban but Travis is on the point of death, and so far after five attempts I haven't made it very far past the book shop, as there are only two health items along the way and I usually die before I get to the second one.

I am enjoying the aesthetic and the storyline of this game, but am getting increasingly frustrated at how difficult it is to keep Travis alive. There are so many enemies, and they often attack en masse. Maybe it's just my controller, but I find there's always an annoying couple of seconds after Travis successfully "grapples" with something where I can't move him at all, and sometimes the enemy just pounces on him and I have to grapple again.

Just what is the point of the energy drinks? I've got about eight of them, and no health drinks. What on earth possessed the creators to come up with a stupid system where Travis gets puffed out easily, so you can have an energy drink to make him start running normally or just wait patiently for a few seconds and it will happen by itself, but the energy drinks don't restore any health!?

Like I said, this is my fifth attempt to continue the game after the Caliban boss fight with Travis close to death. I've got a horrible feeling I'm going to have to start again and just try to suck less so Travis can save more health items. I nearly threw the controller in frustration at one point in the theatre when I got am ampoule, then had to use it five minutes later after a corridor with a carrion and then another corridor immediately after with four Aerials.
Badass Cyborg
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Badass Cyborg »

Hmm... I never noticed that supplies appeared/disappeared based on your game performance. That's a neat idea.

I'm surprised at just how many people are struggling to keep Travis alive in SH:O. I remember falling into the red a couple of times, but I don't recall ever dying.

'Homecoming', on the other hand...
Sam Pilgrim
Just Passing Through

Re: What's the deal with the supply items?

Post by Sam Pilgrim »

So P2 version it's harder than PSP version?
That explains it all... man, that was kinda hard, but I didn't notice about the supplies... I always kept an ampoule with me and didn't use it till I had to. Meaning: like almost dying against a boss. xD
The secret of fifty-two is that the multiverse still exists
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

PS2 version, I found Health Items all over. But I was constantly in the early red stages (I don't Heal unless I really need to, and I avoid most enemies, or pummel them to death with my fists) and health items are PLENTIFUL. I almost never want for health, but I don't insist that I stay in the green all the time either.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
Kaiza Killa
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Kaiza Killa »

I just completed this game. In Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3, I always end up with a surplus of health drinks. In Silent Hill: Origins on the other hand, everytime I would collect one, I would need to use it to keep my health out of the red. I did not realise that the game itself was frustrating my efforts to create my usual surplus.

H+
"Everything above your neck's going to be a fine red mist" - Sniper (Team Fortress 2).
harisnikolop
Just Passing Through

Post by harisnikolop »

Silent Hill 1 and 2 gave you A LOT of supplies especially when using a guide to find every item.Silent hill 3 had a problem with ammunition but Origins has it with health items.OP i know what you mean.Health items are pretty scarce.
Kaiza Killa

Post by Kaiza Killa »

Playing through the game for a second time made a huge difference for me. On the second play through, I accumulated as many as eight or more health drinks, but that is probably due to having the Moon Gauntlets to assist me with that. This is also probably the only game in the Silent Hill series where I have unlocked literally every item.

H+
"Everything above your neck's going to be a fine red mist" - Sniper (Team Fortress 2).
EmilietheStrange
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by EmilietheStrange »

I didn't know that health drinks could be in different locations or appear or not appear in certain places in following playthroughs. My first time playing this, I got stuck in the sanitarium, I had no health drinks and went through that entire level without finding one until the very end. My second time, I found a lot more. There's tons of health drinks laying around outside, but some of them are in very out of the way places.

About the difficulty, I didn't notice the level go up, or if it even did. At first I thought this game was pretty hard because I kept getting killed, but once I found the best way to kill each monster, it became easier. You can take out nurses and straight jackets with any melee weapon, even you're bare fists will be enough. Use guns on carrions, ignore remnants, and any melee weapon will work on arials. Ignore calibans, because it takes forever to kill them. Throwable melee weapons work great on twobacks, they'll go down in one hit from one.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

Since there is an accolade for getting every item, I don't think that items are in different locations depending on how well you're doing, but I could be wrong.

I'm not sure that I've ever died while playing Origins. It can be a little difficult the first time through, but on repeated playthroughs...

Easiest to hardest: 2, 1, Origins, 4, Homecoming, 3. IMO.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
stopped_clock

Post by stopped_clock »

The accolade isn't actually for getting every item, you just have to collect 300 or more items, so they could well be in different locations each time. Having said that, I just finished origins for the 3rd time today and from what I can see all the items are in the same places.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^ Ahh, I thought I had collected every item in the whole game. I felt special. Anyway, yeah I didn't find the game too difficult. Certainly not as punishing as Homecoming.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.