SPOILERS. Richard and Travis: What may have happened?

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

The 'sexually repressed' Travis comes from developer interviews, no? So the creators themselves have pointed out that Travis is feeling lonely on the road. Even the opening conversation encourages Travis to find a woman.

I think you're reading too much into that note. I doubt Travis was abused by his father other than general neglect. There's not much there to indicate that at all. Most likely the 'sleazy' part refers to his father meeting other women in the motel and Travis as a child often followed and spied on his father with these other women and harbored a sort of hatred for the whole situation. The women 'murdered', the voyeuristic holes in the wall, the hearing and walking in on Lisa and Kaufmann suggest this.

Travis' father got a little screwed up when his wife was put in the asylum, neglected his son, and to fill the void slept with other women in the same motel that he'd spent time together with his wife when they were married until he couldn't take it anymore and hung himself.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

And just cause his mother was messed up means nothing. I mean who thinks about there mother when there scoring with babes anyway?
Freud would like a word with you.
There's a flashback memory when richard says to travis" about this afternoon..." travis says " forget it, I just wanna play pinball" hmmm
What Video Gamer said. Besides, what 11 year old is just going to SHRUG OFF BEING RAPED BY HIS DAD like that? I can just imagine little Travis being molested by his dad, and he's looking all bored and eating a peanut butter sandwich while he waits for dad to finish up.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

Just cause a man has a lonesome profession, that does not make him sexually repressed. According to that simple minded logic, every single person who isn't making out with someone at that moment in time is sexually repressed. Which would include most people in the series and that is just plain silly.

And yeah that flashback could of meant loads of things. Like they could have gone and visted the Sanatorium and Travis didn't want to talk about it. Or they had plans to go do something and Travis didn't want to. Or most likely given the note and that he subsequently kills himself, that Travis burst in on his poppa with a woman, which totally explains what the twoback is.

There is absolutly no suggestion of molestation. And Freud is just a purvy little momma's boy.
Double Helix, I spit on your grave! :evil:
WickedQu33n
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by WickedQu33n »

Yea I don't believe his father molested him. If there was a sexual aversion or disfunction it probaly was from the detachment from his mother.

That note I think referred to living in a motel..being depressed and so on. And the twobacks well it is a motel...
[b]you can die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian[/b]
:shock:
Rob Matter
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Rob Matter »

Wow, I completely missed the Oedipus reference of the Jocasta Artifact. The name rang a bell, but I couldn’t think of it.

I’ll go sit in the corner now.

The Twobacks only begin to appear around the hotel, right? I believe it’s more appropriate to attribute their design to the environment (much like the nurses with the hospital) than to anything about Travis. After all, there was clearly a lot of shaggin’ going on in that hotel, and Travis may have gotten hints of this as a kid as well.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

^ And he does spy Lisa and Kauffman going at it, so... *shrug*
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

As stange as it is to hear someone from Pennsylvania use the word 'shaggin', I totally agree that twobacks are location specific. But does he see them before of after he sees Lisa and Kauffman?

But hold on..
Breaka wrote:Like you are more then welcome to believe that, and I aint saying you are wrong. I'm no arrogant SHH dork*.
mod wrote:* = Mod edit = don't be a passive aggressive asshole and stop making comments like this.
So by reasuring people that I am not an arrogant dork and by respect their opinons, that makes me a passive aggressive asshole? Hmmmm? Anyway, I'm not getting into this personal nonsense here, so consider yourself forgiven and we'll say no more. :wink:
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Breaka wrote:Just cause a man has a lonesome profession, that does not make him sexually repressed. According to that simple minded logic, every single person who isn't making out with someone at that moment in time is sexually repressed. Which would include most people in the series and that is just plain silly.
I don't think it's just his profession... The nature of his childhood and what his parents went through might've psychologically scarred him and made Travis insecure of getting into any relationship whatsoever. Overtime this tension or underlying unconscious desire to resolve his past and be in a relationship could manifest itself as being sexually starved but Travis is someone who controls himself. Anyway it's a Freudian idea but that's probably what the creators had in mind...
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

Or it could just be that Travis, saw two people going at it in the Hotel. Then his mind manifested the two back, as a kind of subconscious thing that the mind creates when it doesnt fully understand something. And Travis being a child when he and his father was at the hotel.. his mind was not fully developed yet.. and he probably didn't fully understand the relations between two adults sexually yet. So there you go, he manifested something from his mind as a child.. I mean look at the door leading to his fathers room, it had police tape all over it. So logically that would also conclude that this was something that his mind and his eyes saw as a child.. and once again manifested into something in his nightmares in the town of silent hill.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Breaka wrote:As stange as it is to hear someone from Pennsylvania use the word 'shaggin', I totally agree that twobacks are location specific. But does he see them before of after he sees Lisa and Kauffman?

But hold on..
Breaka wrote:Like you are more then welcome to believe that, and I aint saying you are wrong. I'm no arrogant SHH dork*.
mod wrote:* = Mod edit = don't be a passive aggressive asshole and stop making comments like this.
So by reasuring people that I am not an arrogant dork and by respect their opinons, that makes me a passive aggressive asshole? Hmmmm? Anyway, I'm not getting into this personal nonsense here, so consider yourself forgiven and we'll say no more. :wink:
Because you're taking cheap shots at a member, I've seen you at it before both directly to him and elsewhere, and it's so stupid it almost pains me. I don't give a toss if you forgive me - oh and being a snarky ass isn't going to help your case, either - I want you to knock it off or take whatever problem you have with that person to that person, instead of thinking you can get away with it elsewhere on the boards.

So. Travis wasn't raped by his dad, yeah? Dad was just a lonely messed up old man with a crazy wife?
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

>So. Travis wasn't raped by his dad, yeah? Dad was just a lonely messed up old man with a crazy wife?

Correct. You just (almost) put an end to this discussion.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

Krist. wrote:Because you're taking cheap shots at a member, I've seen you at it before both directly to him and elsewhere, and it's so stupid it almost pains me. I don't give a toss if you forgive me - oh and being a snarky ass isn't going to help your case, either - I want you to knock it off or take whatever problem you have with that person to that person, instead of thinking you can get away with it elsewhere on the boards.
Nope, absolutly no idea who/what you are talking about. Whatever :?
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Ewww.
Seriously, I tried bringing this up but I majorly failed.
Like I said before, I still don't see the 'sexual activitiness' that everyone else does. When I first saw the two-backs I assumed that it was Travis and his father (not engaged in sexual activity).
Show me some representation of a female so that I can understand please.
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

Travis and Richard probably visited SH a lot yah?
and the peepholes...
and also taking pictures of dead people maybe? sounds sleazy to me, and the broken heart pic is just the otherworlds way of showing irony
Detective Cartland
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Detective Cartland »

The peepholes were for the employees to "have fun" while at work.
Last edited by Detective Cartland on 26 Jul 2008, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Juridawn/Graphics/DouglasSig.jpg[/img]
[i]"And everything seemed to be going so well...."[/i]
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

The peepholes were for the employees the "have fun" while at work.
In that case i'm never going to spend a night in a motel.
They give me that whole Vacancy movie feel.
Detective Cartland
Brookhaven Receptionist

I've noticed a kind of "trend" in Silent Hill's corporations on corruption and abuse. For example, in the hotel, they had the peepholes that were placed in the room's bathrooms. In both Alchemilla and Brookhaven there is considerable evidence based on memos that the nurses and doctors were allowed to abuse the patients but not get caught. Not only that but the nurse trainees were treated as prostitutes for the doctors, at least in Alchemilla.
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Juridawn/Graphics/DouglasSig.jpg[/img]
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Wow I haven't noticed that!
I guess it's another way to keep the players parinoid.
Detective Cartland
Brookhaven Receptionist

Not necesarily. Perhaps a way showing how even though the real Silent Hill presents itself as a "beautiful resort town" and in reality its a shitty, corrupt, sinful place. Its all about self indulgence. Anyway, we better stop were getting offtopic here.

ONTOPIC!!
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

Detective Cartland wrote:I've noticed a kind of "trend" in Silent Hill's corporations on corruption and abuse. For example, in the hotel, they had the peepholes that were placed in the room's bathrooms. In both Alchemilla and Brookhaven there is considerable evidence based on memos that the nurses and doctors were allowed to abuse the patients but not get caught. Not only that but the nurse trainees were treated as prostitutes for the doctors, at least in Alchemilla.
And the "accidental" deaths in the Iron Lung in the sanitarium...