Little Dissapointed in PS2 Version

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Cohen330
Just Passing Through

Post by Cohen330 »

Detective Cartland wrote:
You must remember that hes going to be old since its at least 2 decades later.

Interesting...I was not aware of this. Guess I need to research 5 more...I wonder how old that makes him?
Detective Cartland
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Detective Cartland »

Probably almost 50.
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Juridawn/Graphics/DouglasSig.jpg[/img]
[i]"And everything seemed to be going so well...."[/i]
Cohen330
Just Passing Through

Post by Cohen330 »

Detective Cartland wrote:Probably almost 50.

Jesus christ....
Last edited by Cohen330 on 01 Aug 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Post by Kenji »

The PS2 version is inferior to the PSP version, probably because it's a straight port with minimal effort made to optimize it for the PS2. The controls are laggier, the cinemas have graphical glitches, and (worst of all) the music cuts out after one or two loops, sound effects don't play on cue, both of which really damage the Silent Hill experience (which is a shame, because the ambient sound was wonderful on the PSP with headphones).

I can't say I regretted buying it on the PS2, since I am an SH fan and it does allow me to read stuff on walls more easily, but it's a poorer gaming and horror experience, overall.
Scyron
Hope House Careworker

Post by Scyron »

Cohen330 wrote:

Jesus christ. Let's hope he's not really using Robbie for pedo purposes then...

What the hell is this?

jdnation wrote:You'd have been crazy to think that they'd significantly upgrade the graphics and animations when porting to PS2, that's about on par with remaking the entire game from scratch! You'd honestly have been asking for too much. They'd have to remodel everything, retexture, relight, and re-rig and re-animate all of that!

It was made for the PSP after all, and it's one of the best graphical handheld titles to date! The PSP isn't as powerful as the PS2 nor does UMD have the storage of DVD, but on a smaller screen they can make it look comparable to PS2 games even with lower poly models.

The game was ported to the PS2 because many fans who didn't want to buy a PSP asked for it. But anyway the game is beautiful on PSP!

This is spot on. If anything at least the graphics weren't absolute shit like say Farcry for wii, cruising USA for wii or any of the god awful shovelware titles for wii. So yeah, honestly it isn't as breathtaking as say MGS3 for PS2, but the game also wasn't meant for PS2, it didn't have a HUGE team behind it, it didn't have endless pools of $$, nor did it seem to sell as well as other Konami big name franchises.

I applaud the developers for porting it. I had just as much fun with GTA:vice city stories also which was a PSP game. The graphics don't need to be on par with major entries in the series given the games are just the same at the core. Art assets have yet to make a game better than another, since at heart all games need substance.

edit: Also I find it very hard to believe that Travis looks different at all on psp or ps2.
[img]http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/2263/scyronah6.gif[/img]
Cohen330
Just Passing Through

Post by Cohen330 »

Scyron wrote:
Cohen330 wrote:

Jesus christ. Let's hope he's not really using Robbie for pedo purposes then...

What the hell is this?

I edited it. My bad.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

Scyron wrote:
Cohen330 wrote:
Detective Cartland wrote:

edit: Also I find it very hard to believe that Travis looks different at all on psp or ps2.

He actually really does Look different. The character models were updated a bit for the PS2 but not for the better.

Here is the PSP Travis : http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/20 ... een012.jpg

And here's the PS2 Travis: http://silenthillorigins.com/silenthill ... ns_ps2.jpg

Here's PSP Lisa: http://silenthillorigins.com/silenthill ... rigins.jpg

And PS2 Lisa: http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/20 ... een007.jpg[/url]

There is a difference
Detective Cartland
Brookhaven Receptionist

The characters needed to be expanded and revised so they didn't become pixelated.
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Juridawn/Graphics/DouglasSig.jpg[/img]
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

But it does make them look different. Lisa looks quite weird in the PS2 version I think. I own both versions and I just think they look different and a bit wrong when I play it on the PS2
Detective Cartland
Brookhaven Receptionist

Honestly its not even made to be on the PS2, it was a sloppy port and they did it quick to get it to the PS2 owners. I think it looks much better on a PSP screen. On the PS2 it looks bloated.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

I totally agree. I played it on PSP and finished it like 4 times, when I got the PS2 port I didn't really like it and I stopped playing when I got to the theatre.

It should have been polished up I think, and maybe some extras
Ark Skyheart
Just Passing Through

Post by Ark Skyheart »

i got origins for PSP and found it to be a awesome game. looking at stuff for the port on PS2 i was turned off. the quality was in someways better on PSP because it was better suited for the smaller screen...made the game intimate while the PS2 port took that away...but over all a good game
ARGH i keep losing "the game" if you know what the game is you just lost it!

[img]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/arkskyheart/arksig.jpg[/img]
BlackFire

Post by BlackFire »

The graphics are basically the same as SH3 and SH4; they are better than SH2.

EDIT:Also, why bother getting the PS2 version if you already have the PSP version? Waste of money if you ask me.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

BlackFire wrote:The graphics are basically the same as SH3 and SH4; they are better than SH2.

EDIT:Also, why bother getting the PS2 version if you already have the PSP version? Waste of money if you ask me.
To add to my collection. I have Silent Hill 1 twice because of the Platinum and normal version, I have Silent Hill 2 twice, one for the DVD and one for the Directors cut.

I collect Silent Hill games :D
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

SH2 dvd? :|
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

LanceS133 wrote:SH2 dvd? :|
Yeah, the making of DVD on the 2 disk special edition of the game that came in the nice card slipcase and you got the sticker too.
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

Cool, anything worth seeing on the dvd?
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

It's well worth having if you can find it. I found mine in the Pre-owned basket at Game so i wasn't passing up the chance to own it.

There are some cool things on there like trailers and also the Making Of which explains a lot of things on the meaning, there is also lots of footage from the motion capture and there are lots of interviews with the creators. It is a brilliant DVD
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

I thought sh origins on the ps2 was good, I mean sure it was better suited for the psp. But for those that want to show others they know the excitement that is sh origins on a bigger screen.. will not be disappointed in this port, because it's everything that the psp version was.. sure it was suited better for the small screen... but the game isn't alll that changed either. So it's definately worth a buy for hard core sh fans. Others that are not fans may be turned off slightly by this game.. otherwise those it's a decent game.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
Detective Cartland
Brookhaven Receptionist

BlackFire wrote:The graphics are basically the same as SH3 and SH4; they are better than SH2.
I find that hard to believe.