...A nod to SH0 in SH3? *possible, and probable, spoilers*

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

...A nod to SH0 in SH3? *possible, and probable, spoilers*

Post by Video Gamer »

Hey all.
I'm playing SH3 at the moment, and I'm in the "Mall Toilet." I just examined the mirror next to the save point, and Heather just said "I don't like mirrors. It's almost like there's an unknown world right on the other side. And the person staring at me isn't really me, just an imitator. I know how stupid that sounds, but that's how I feel. But if I keep thinking about it, it just makes me feel sick." Also note that the savepoint makes her feel sick as well.
Travis travels through mirrors to get to the Otherworld, and it has been argued that the Butcher is Travis' Doppleganger.
Discuss.
dr bones
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by dr bones »

i think that, in the context of SH3, what heather said about someone staring back in a mirror that isn't her, was actually foreshadowing for the whole alessa/cheryl revelation which happens later on.

there's also the "mirror world" in the room with the bleeding bathtub. if anything, i bet that those were more inspirations for Origins, considering SH:0 came out after SH3 and was crafted by different developers.
"Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame."
"The lies and the mist are not they but I. You all know that I am One. Yes, and the One is I."
Rob Matter
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Rob Matter »

Indeed, the room in Brookhaven with the bathtub explicates SH3’s tying together mirrors with the Otherworld. Since SH0 followed years later, I think it would be more accurate to say that SH0 expanded greatly upon a concept that was only briefly touched upon in SH3.

Certainly an argument against those who claim that SH0 deviates from the series.
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

I wouldn't be surprised if it does tie together! Subtle hints and things and articles in previous games have been used to build entirely new ones! So 0rigins carries on that tradition! Nice!
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

=3
I did good?

(And I know SH3 came before SH0, I'm just saying, it's a little strange to have it specifically mention another world behind the mirrors, when that was SH0's entire gimmick.)
Yana
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Yana »

I always figured, after playing Origins that it was nod or some kind of hint to it. They could have easily had it planned/been working on it back then. I do love little stuff like this in the series. ^_^
[url=http://iampaddy.com/spell/]Learn To Fucking Spell[/url]
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

A resounding "no duh" is coming from my end of the screen, but it still is a good observation! Yay.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

I strongly doubt Konami actually knew that a quite unknown, small american video-game group would 'take over the series' four years later.
It is metaphysically impossible, so I'd go along Krist with the "no duh".
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

This is very interesting, it could of served as the inspiration of the mirror-like otherworld in Origins.
SHF

Post by SHF »

it seems that alesssa has an uncomfortable feeling about mirrors. Though, in SHO, she shows travis to use them to traverse...lit seems alessa musta known about travis mother, and her ravings about the mirror world, and uses that as a way to further the journey
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Yes, but I don't think Helen even traveled to the Otherworld. Maybe to the Otherside, but not the Otherworld. She was simply C-R-A-Z-Y.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

simeonalo wrote:Yes, but I don't think Helen even traveled to the Otherworld. Maybe to the Otherside, but not the Otherworld. She was simply C-R-A-Z-Y.
I second this. We're told that she goes into a catatonic state, and as far as we know, every other character physically enters the Otherworld.
carneeval
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by carneeval »

SH3 came out in 2003 and SH0 came out in 2008, games were still being produced by Team Silent during 3 and 4 so they hadn't given the game rights up yet.
[img]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/animefairyofdarkness/o0p1cpjpgcopy.jpg[/img]
Most people say Henry's a pervert because of looking through the peephole to Eileen's room, but here's the thing: Your not required to do that, it's the players choice.
So whose the pervert now :P?

((Apparently you can OD on Green Tea...And it's painful.))
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

We know, Carneeval.

As for Alessa knowing about the mirror world, she probably got that information by reading Travis's mind. So yea.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Origins was released in 2007 initially for the PSP, the PS2 versions were released the next year.
Cyrus
Just Passing Through

Post by Cyrus »

simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

I totally love how realistic your avatar is, Cyrus. That Valtiel-Pipe thing is sort of sexy.
Aldo
Just Passing Through

Post by Aldo »

It is a pretty cool avatar :)
One more soul to the call, for all, in silence...
Comes two more souls to the call, for all, and in time!
Three more more souls to the call, they fall...
Unknowing that four more souls to the call, won't be all, and you know it!
valiturus

Post by valiturus »

That's definitely interesting, but seeing how Silent Hill 3 was made before Origins, there could be no plausible way that the two were connected. It is neat how they connect with each other in that way though, especially because of the impossibility of it being canon.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

...uh...it is canon.

And get this: Silent Hill 0 is able to take things from SH3 and make connections and allusions to it.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]