The Butcher is like Piramid Head...

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Kupomee
Cafe5to2 Waitress

The Butcher is like Piramid Head...

Post by Kupomee »

In that it's a representation of Travis' state of mind, inner fears and repressed feelings, based off of an entity that appeared in Silent Hill in the real world some time ago.

Going with the theories of Piramid Head being a representation of something or other in James Sunderland's mind in Silent Hill 2, wether it be some demon thing from Silent Hill that chose the appearance, or James' subconscious vaguely remembering the Judges he saw in the Silent Hill Historical Society.

In that same vein, Travis at some point heard about or saw The Butcher in real life, and now his repressed stuff has taken The Butcher's physical appearance in the otherworld of Silent Hill.
At least that's the theory I came up with last night..

Question is then, who or what would The Butcher have been in reality and how would Travis know that.
Thinking about it, I really want to play through that meat-processing-building-level that was supposedly cut from the game at some point during development. Suppose that could've given us some more insight into the Butcher, like the historical society in SH2 did for PH.

P.S. Made my way to the Sanitarium now on replaying the game and I'm really noticing this time how ruined the entire town looks; broken windows, boarded-up buildings and both the Sanitarium and the Hospital look in need of some maintenance...Was the town like this in the other Silent Hill games?
"We are such stuff as dreams are made of, and our little life is rounded with a sleep."
WickedQu33n
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by WickedQu33n »

Silent hill brings out the manifisations of demons of those drawn to the town.

Ex. James=PH

Its how thier inner conficts come to life
However I do find it odd that there is a painting of PH in dahilas house when travis rescues alessa, maybe ph and the butcher are the same thing but percieved differently.

And the "otherworld" always looks broken down.
[b]you can die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian[/b]
:shock:
Detective Cartland
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Detective Cartland »

Alchemilla was going under hospital repair maintenance at the time.
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Juridawn/Graphics/DouglasSig.jpg[/img]
[i]"And everything seemed to be going so well...."[/i]
angelofROOM302
Historical Society Historian

Post by angelofROOM302 »

I thought we talked about this before.
But I wouldn't say that the butcher is like pyramid head. Even though they look close in appearance, I wouldn't agree that the butcher has anything to do with Travis personally.
And isn't the layout simular to the original silent hill?
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

I wouldn't agree that the butcher has anything to do with Travis personally.
That really does make sense when you think about it as there were other people that have seen it so it's not travis' personal monster as was with PH and James.

and about the layout, when I googled the maps from both games I saw that Travis was in the southern part of the central silent hill, where Harry's adventure was in near the end.
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
Liquid Snake
Just Passing Through

Post by Liquid Snake »

angelofROOM302 wrote:I thought we talked about this before.
But I wouldn't say that the butcher is like pyramid head. Even though they look close in appearance, I wouldn't agree that the butcher has anything to do with Travis personally.
Yeah its one of the areas that harry go's by in SH but you already know that. :wink:
May the force be with you.
Kupomee
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kupomee »

The part of town you visit in Silent Hill 0 is to the south of where you're at in Silent Hill 1 and also a couple of years earlier. Since this game ends with the birth of Cheryl, who's around 10 years old in the first game. Also, the path you take through the dark version of town at the end of SH0 leads to an antique shop that was in SH1, the rest of the game is all new locations.

Seeing how ruined everything looked, I thought maybe something happened in that part of town at that time or if it could be something in Travis' subconscious making it look like that.
The Butcher was indeed seen by other people but I fear the same might be true for Piramid Head in the future.
Anyway, I wish we knew more about the Butcher.
"We are such stuff as dreams are made of, and our little life is rounded with a sleep."
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>The part of town you visit in Silent Hill 0 is to the south of where you're at in Silent Hill 1
No, it is the part of the town you visit in Silent Hill, called Central Silent Hill.

>Cheryl, who's around 10 years old in the first game.
She's 7 years old.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
WickedQu33n
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by WickedQu33n »

He's right...and as far as we know about the bucther...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_Head

Look in the orgins sections
Because wiki knows all
[b]you can die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian[/b]
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Wikipedia isn't worth shit, especially when discussing Silent Hill.

Also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_(psychology)

I recommend using the above page as reference. I know Wikipedia isn't reliable, but it gets the general idea here.

Anyway, so the Otherworld is a plane where thoughts become reality, and we also know that sometimes a person could experience the projections and manifestations of other people, so the Otherworld is made up of many peoples' minds, causing it to function like a collective unconscious. This makes it possible that it could use archetypes. For example, perhaps everyone in the Otherworld sees blood and rust at some point because it's an archetype for pain, or everyone sees fog because it's an archetype of mystery.

With that out of the way, let's analyze the Shadow Archetype. According to Jungian psychology, it's the part of the mind that humans are ashamed of or repress, the part we hide. This includes repressed memories, personality traits we lie about having, bad character aspects we overlook because of delusion, and so forth. Thus, the Shadow can cover anything form murders we forgot, such as James, to a housewife that doesn't want to admit she made a mistake. This is typically when terms like "It's not my fault!" or "<Blank> made me do it!" or "I didn't mean it!" come into play. (So when it's said that Silent Hill calls and manifests dark thoughts, it might not mean "dark" as in bad, but "dark" as in repressed or hidden. It shows people the truth after they hide it away.)

Now, let's analyze Pyramid Head. What is he doing throughout all of James' journey? Trying to show him the truth. He looks like an object of James' fear, and like Shadows typically do in dreams, takes the appearance of a fearsome monster, and his behavior resembles a sort of dark James. Not only that, but isn't the Butcher highly similar? He's clearly based on Pyramid Head for a designer standpoint, and they seem to have a similar nature, depending on your theories of the Butcher and Travis's past. So, while Travis might not be a killer, he can manifest a Shadow because of his repressed childhood, shaped like a butcher because from his viewpoint, he "butchered" his family's happiness.

Pyramid Head and the Butcher are not the same being, and they're not really connected, but they are of a same nature. They're a Shadow Archetype, just like how the Nurses are an archetype of a basic "sex-lust+Hospitals suck" symbol.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
WickedQu33n
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by WickedQu33n »

Well im just saying how much everyone including me uses it ..it was sarcasm which doesn't come out well on a forum.

But its people perception of butcher/PH we all we never agree on what it really is.
Kupomee
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kupomee »

The way the butcher looks is what I was wondering about, since the way PH looks seems to come from those old executioners from the prison in Silent Hill 2.
Where could the butcher's looks have come from.
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

^^
I think from the look of an original butcher?
http://www.quirkcollective.com/images/butcher.jpg
Liquid Snake
Just Passing Through

Post by Liquid Snake »

angelofROOM302 wrote:^^
I think from the look of an original butcher?
http://www.quirkcollective.com/images/butcher.jpg
Ha thats a little odd. :P
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Ha, I just found a random picture on google and posted it.
Liquid Snake
Just Passing Through

Post by Liquid Snake »

Well good find for a random pic . :lol:
WickedQu33n
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by WickedQu33n »

What's funny is I watched legand for the first time in years and there is an excutioner that looks just like the butcher/PH great knife and all lol.
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

Both Pyramid and The Butcher wear helmets, aprons, drag a big knife, and kill things for the main character to see. They both help the lead character to face their repressed truth.

On a side note Valitel and Walter play similar roles too, in ensuring that the fulfilment of a demonic rebirth.

I don't know if all these entities are the same thing. But it does seem like Silent Hill has a kind of fixed design. As if the town was a director, or a chuckling puppeteer.
Double Helix, I spit on your grave! :evil:
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Oh yeah, the butcher does have a helmet on! I thought he was just ugly.

That's a good note about Valitel and Walter. Thanks. I wondered about this a while ago.