Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 16 Jul 2018

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Weapon break system, yay or nay?

Missing since: 05 Jul 2008
Notes left: 140
Last seen at: Silent Hill, In Your Mind
It's been done in games before, and usually pisses people off. But did SH O do it gracefully? I'm not complaining, personally. I don't think it was a great move, along with the addition of energy drinks (which I rarely even used), but it didn't hinder the enjoyment of the experience at all for me. Often I felt myself laughing at the game because I was holding 8 filing cabinets, 6 tv's, 3 drip stands, 5 batons, 2 crow bars, and a ton of other crap...in my jacket/vest thingy? It only kind of sucked when I was finally kicking ass with my katana and it would break mid-battle, so I'd be stuck in a fist fight half the time.

Anybody else have issues or opinions on this?

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 07 Aug 2007
Notes left: 295
A sledgehammer that breaks after three or four hits... what could possibly be wrong with that?

Still, I'd rather deal with that than the stupid energy drink thing. I know Travis isn't a peak physical specimen, but damn... I sit on my ass all day on the computer and I can run further that him without getting completely winded.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Jul 2008
Notes left: 979
Last seen at: Florida, United States
Nay. I would not like to see any character from SH throw a tv anymore.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 7376
Last seen at: Couldn't tell you even if I tired
I don't mind the breakdown system, if it was more realistic.

A crowbar or meat hook becoming "unuseable" after 5 hits? What is wrong with it. If it is just bent out of shape, turn it over and hit with the other side. Simple as that. :wink:

World Toilet Organization
I'm like a circle, I'M TOO GOOD FOR CORNERS!!!

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

I find a crowbar being bent from beating a couple nurses unreasonable. :P

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Jul 2008
Notes left: 140
Last seen at: Silent Hill, In Your Mind
Detective Cartland wrote:
Nay. I would not like to see any character from SH throw a tv anymore.

Couldn't agree more. I dealt with it through an entire game, please, let's not do that again. And as far as computer geeks being able to run farther than Travis without being winded, that blows my mind...

If I threw a filing cabinet and it exploded, I would invest in purchasing a better brand of filing cabinet.

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 29 Jun 2008
Notes left: 1015
Last seen at: In your fridge
the weapons are ridiculously flimsy. if that weren't the case, it would've been much better.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

I loved beating enemies with the IV stand though. Wack wack. :lol:

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 30 Nov 2003
Notes left: 837
Last seen at: Pennsylvania
I would prefer quality over quantity. The average melee weapon in this game is good for only 1-3 monsters. Extend that average to 10 and cut down the number of available weapons by the same proportion, and you've got a better system.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Jun 2008
Notes left: 276
Last seen at: Silent Hill, trying to find my TARDIS.
I'd rather they just do away with breakable weapons altogether. It didn't hurt SHs 1-4 (though I know 4 did have some breakables).

Especially breakable weapons that wouldn't *really* break in real life when hitting fleshy things.

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 07 Nov 2006
Notes left: 1076
Last seen at: indiana, u.s. of a
nay verily. when l first got a portable tv, l didn't know what the yellow splot was. then l tried using the tv and threw it across the room. l instantly fell in love. but not all the items should have been destructable.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Apr 2006
Notes left: 126
Last seen at: Red Lion, Pennsylvania
Rob Matter wrote:
I would prefer quality over quantity. The average melee weapon in this game is good for only 1-3 monsters. Extend that average to 10 and cut down the number of available weapons by the same proportion, and you've got a better system.

^That. Agree completely.

On a related note, have any of you beat anybody to death with a crowbar or bat? Humans aren't soft and squishy.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 30 Nov 2006
Notes left: 552
Last seen at: Wish I knew
Well, it was more realistic, but it's sometimes annoying when you're suddenly fighting with your fists. It didn't bother me that much, but it would be great if they had unbreakable melee weapons as well.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Jun 2008
Notes left: 276
Last seen at: Silent Hill, trying to find my TARDIS.
Fullofhate87 wrote:
On a related note, have any of you beat anybody to death with a crowbar or bat? Humans aren't soft and squishy.

... Have you? D-:

Humans and monsters are made of considerably less stern stuff than a crowbar. You hit something with a crowbar hard and bones and other tissue will break and injure before the crowbar even thinks about getting metal fatigue.

Now a bat, it depends... is it wood or metal? ;)

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Apr 2008
Notes left: 3073
Last seen at: Wisconsin
I think it was okay for origins, but not for any next game. The only weapons that I really liked were the IV stands.
Once I had my moon gauntlets, I was on a killing spree! :twisted:

But it does give the game a more realistic feel. I could see a wooden plank breaking within a couple of hits but a meat hook? If they want breakable weapons, then they should go back to the system from Silent Hill 4 where not all of them were breakable.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Apr 2006
Notes left: 886
Last seen at: Bath/London UK
Breaking weapon is such a stupid idea. It's not realistic in the slightest and in just destroys combat. And I hated it when they did break cause they just sort of exploded leaving you and the monster thinking 'the fuck?'. But even when they do break it makes no difference because weapons and supplies are strewn absolutely fuckin everywhere. Everything except for health, which the idiots replaced with energy drinks that have no purpose whatsoever. It's totally unplayable and totally unrealistic.

And even worse is that you can't switch weapons unless you go to the inventory screen or stand completely still, which is yet another kick in the gameplay nuts.

Although I've got to say I did like chucking a TV's and filing cabinets at some big beasty. That's made sense, because you would do that. And I thought hand to hand was great, if only you had a little tighter control over each punch. Something so darkly satisfying about brutally smashing a nurse or straightjacket's face in with your bare hands, which is just the kind of thing that the Silent Hill experience is about.

I'd really love to see hand to hand brawling and chucking developed in future games. But there's no need for hucking a tool shop's worth of breakable weapons around. That's just plain silly.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 07 Mar 2007
Notes left: 541
Last seen at: South Carolina, USA
i hated it, because they were breakable. i wouldnt mind it if they were unbreakable

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Apr 2006
Notes left: 126
Last seen at: Red Lion, Pennsylvania
SpaceProg wrote:
Fullofhate87 wrote:

... Have you? D-:

Humans and monsters are made of considerably less stern stuff than a crowbar. You hit something with a crowbar hard and bones and other tissue will break and injure before the crowbar even thinks about getting metal fatigue.

Heh, course not. I do think that certain items should have more stability than others.

But I just want to say that I totally agree with breakable weapons. I mean if Silent Hill was real and you were walking around afraid of everything around you, you wouldn't go around beating every no-faced, acid-spitting monster you find. You'd run, and you'd attack monsters that you couldn't avoid. Origins almost made you do this with the abundance of monsters and the lack of weaponry. I loved the feeling it gave you. As people have said before, this was the first Silent Hill game where I had to actually run away from the monsters instead of killing every one.

So: I want them to bring this mechanic back in every game from now on but from what I've seen of Homecoming, I don't think it's returning.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 13 May 2008
Notes left: 317
Last seen at: finland
Golfclubs in silent hill 4 last longer than any weapon in origins. Thats not good. I dont like that system, maybe if weapons last longer...
Hammer is hardy, but not in origins and thats equally realistic than non-brake weapons.

silent hill forum in finland

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

SpaceProg wrote:
Fullofhate87 wrote:

... Have you? D-:

Even Metal or Aluminum bats will bend after a certain extent of "beating" something. A crowbar? I dont see that happening.