Weapon break system, yay or nay?

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

woofy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by woofy »

NAY. I don't think there is any real positives to the weapon break system, especially since weapons don't break in the other games. Pieces of wood should break, but not katanas and larger weapons. I agree with lance, if weapons haave to break then it should automatically equip the next one.
The other wierd thing is using toasters and tv's to hit monsters with :lol: that was funny.
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

I have no problem with the weapon break system, but I thought it was ridiculous that Travis could carry close to a hundred melee weapons with him at once. Better to limit him to one or two, and have them prove much more durable. And he should be able to drop the ones he doesn't want or need, like jagged wood, scalpels, or screwdrivers. Or everything, if he has the Gauntlets or the Cleaver.

And I wouldn't have minded being able to toss that largely useless target pistol as well.
AngelsWhisper
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AngelsWhisper »

I didn't have any problems with it all, mainly because you find so many of the bloody things in the game, the fact they broke made no difference to me. Just opened the inventory and equipped another. I agree though that some of the breaking limits should've been more realistic for metal objects but it hardly bothered me.
"Gee it's as hot as hell in here."
"For me, it's always like this..."

[url=http://www.urban-butterfly.co.uk/][img]http://www.urban-butterfly.co.uk/images/banner02.gif[/img][/url]
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

Well, consider that a sledgehammer is meant to be swung by men of considerable strength at large and hard-to-destroy objects (like rocks or brick walls). I could see it breaking after five hundred or a thousand hits, not twenty or so (if that). Don't get me started on tire irons or fireplace pokers.
batmanhill6157
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by batmanhill6157 »

I thought it was a terrible idea, one of the main reasons SHO pissed me off so much
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/1130/lbpbatsigxl6.png[/img][/url]
PSN ID: batmanhill6157
DarkeningNightmare
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by DarkeningNightmare »

nay, unless it were more realistic. a wooden plank breaking, sure. a tire iron or golf club? bending maybe but not breaking
"It is the end of days, and i am the Reaper."-Dark Alessa
It Burns
Just Passing Through

Post by It Burns »

nay, for me as well.
I was okay with bottles and TVs breaking but katanas and sledgehammers?
solid_snack
Just Passing Through

Post by solid_snack »

what can I say them nurses are hard. ^_^
DarkeningNightmare
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

hard as rock maybe
AgentNein
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AgentNein »

dudes, I'm going to my local hospital to beat down some nurses with various objects. I'll get back to you on the accuracy of Origins.
Justice has a name, and the name it has, besides justice, is Captain Hammer!
DarkeningNightmare
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

^^lol, let me know what you find out
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

I think that Travis himself would shatter before a steel tire-iron would.
AgentNein
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AgentNein »

Guys. I'm back. Did not go as well as I had hoped. They've got some big orderlies. I'm going to go lay down now.
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

Nurses are used to lifting large, heavy patients around, and inflicting various forms of pain, discomfort, and humiliation. NOT a good combination to mess with.
AgentNein
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AgentNein »

Yeah. You tell me NOW.
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

The weapon break system seemed unnecessary considering how many weapons I had by the end of the game. would have preferred somethign closer to SH4's system.

Dunno if any of you guys played System Shock 2 (you should!) but that game had a very frustrating degrading of weapons. Shit was always breaking in that game.
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

So, what happened, Nein? A hypo full of sedative? A bedpan to the head? Or did they just rassle you to the ground and give you the dreaded barium enema? Enquiring minds want to know...

I liked the idea of having large heavy breakable objects. It would stand to reason that a typewriter or TV set would break after one use, or a few anyway. But some weapons are just not realistically going to break. Sledgehammers are designed to reduce rock to gravel. Tire irons are solid steel. A professional strongman could maybe bend one, but break one? I doubt it.
AgentNein
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AgentNein »

I think the problem is that in real life, a more powerful weapon would naturally be harder to break. This flies in the face of normal gaming sesibilities, which state that a more powerful weapon shouldn't last as long as a less powerful weapon (the ol' tradeoff).

And to make a long story short, I go up to a nurse, apologize in advance, and raise the television above my head. Then it went downhill from there. Apperantly nurses carry tazers regularly or something. I was then tackled by football player orderly as I screamed much like a little girl would scream. Sorta goes fuzzy after they stuck the needle in my ass.

Anywho, yada yada yada, I drag myself out of the hazardous material bin and hobbled home. A sick kid kicked me at some point on the way.

I tell you, I'm not excited to go back there, but it's 'hit a nurse with an IV stand' day. The things I do for science.
AgentX7k
Hope House Careworker

Post by AgentX7k »

NAY! Probably the games biggest flaw. Frustrating, unrealistic and poorly handled.

1. Everything breaks after about 5 hits, you always have to switch to your fists mid-EVERY fight. It becomes so frustrating I avoid combat all together.

2. They could have made it a bit more realistic, for instance you shouldn't be able to carry 3 TV's and a drip stand in your pockets. Plus I don't think a sword short break as quickly as a piece of wood, they could have tried some different constancies.

3. They could have gone for a less abusive approach. Have fewer weapons that don't break as easily.
"The Body Is Cold?"
aj4x94
Historical Society Historian

Post by aj4x94 »

Detective Cartland wrote:Nay. I would not like to see any character from SH throw a tv anymore.
You know, Travis isn't the first SH character to throw a TV. That honor goes to Angela.