Weapon break system, yay or nay?

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Nanjiz
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Nanjiz »

I hate it, rather have some weapon that I can use forever and whenever I run out of ammo :P
Power and chaos!
Cohen330
Just Passing Through

Post by Cohen330 »

Wow, not one person yet seems to like it...lol
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

*raises hand*
I actually liked it...because I would look through the environment more. It made me pay more attention. I also liked choosing the weapons as well, memorizing how Travis used them, how he slashed at the monsters, then picking the best one to off them with.
I actually hope this passes on to Homecoming, but maybe have the weapons stay there longer.
Cohen330
Just Passing Through

Post by Cohen330 »

I did too actually enjoy the searching environments aspect more. I do that anyway in every game I play, and it was nice for once to not have my efforts go completely fruitless (thanks a lot, SH 3). And if they would address the issue of the weapons breaking so quickly too, I wouldn't mind it entirely in following titles. BUT, ultimately it made me sad. :cry:
Baal
Just Passing Through

Post by Baal »

Another person in agreement here. I rather enjoyed the breakable weapons. With the healthy abundance of weapons available, it really never gave me a problem. Plus I really I liked the variety of weapons that were presented.
Give me peace and chemicals. I wanna run into. . .
AgentNein
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AgentNein »

To me at least, the idea of breakable weapons seems to be an attempt at realism. This attempt is undercut by the fact that in the real world; some of these things don't break that easily. So it just came off as silly to me, but it wasn't a huge issue.
Justice has a name, and the name it has, besides justice, is Captain Hammer!
heavensnightsh
Historical Society Historian

Post by heavensnightsh »

Fucking NAY! If I'm gonna be smackin some bitches up with a crowbar and it explodes into dust, you best believe I gon' be pissed! I think what might have been a better alternative would be you could have say, 3 items that were in the "unbreakable" category. Such as the crowbar, sledgehammer, etc. And then have another 3-5 items in the "breakable" category like the *eye roll* drip stand, or the wooden planks. And for the other stuff.... altho it's unlikely for Travis to have a sledgehammer in his pocket, more unlikely to have a good 3 filing cabinets and some portable tv's stuck in his jacket pocket. WTF? Leave that shat out next game please :P

EDIT: Hey AgentNein, you'll wanna resize your avatar. 100x100 please :D
[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/dbmhpc.gif[/img]
(o ) ( 0)[size=75]WOOO!|[url=http://www.silenthillheaven.com/wiki]Silent Hill Wiki[/url]|[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/tray.gif[/img]"What the hell is it?"[/size]
( ) ­ [size=75]I wanna thank you for this chance to be [color=teal]angels[/color] [/size]
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/Pokemon.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/HarryPotter-2.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/LGDare.gif[/img] Thank you Harrys_Girl for the Drawing Block!
[size=59][I am currently permitted to display a larger avatar thanks to my status as a supporter of SHHF][/size]
AgentNein
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AgentNein »

heavensnightsh wrote:Fucking NAY! If I'm gonna be smackin some bitches up with a crowbar and it explodes into dust, you best believe I gon' be pissed! I think what might have been a better alternative would be you could have say, 3 items that were in the "unbreakable" category. Such as the crowbar, sledgehammer, etc. And then have another 3-5 items in the "breakable" category like the *eye roll* drip stand, or the wooden planks. And for the other stuff.... altho it's unlikely for Travis to have a sledgehammer in his pocket, more unlikely to have a good 3 filing cabinets and some portable tv's stuck in his jacket pocket. WTF? Leave that shat out next game please :P

EDIT: Hey AgentNein, you'll wanna resize your avatar. 100x100 please :D
Oops, will do.
Justice has a name, and the name it has, besides justice, is Captain Hammer!
blank fairy
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by blank fairy »

Well I had fun using all the different weapons you get. I also liked that you could throw the weapons, it made me feel nice and safe. This system didn't annoy me as much as the one from SH 4 did.
BlackFire

Post by BlackFire »

This will definitely make me think twice before getting this game.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Yeah just needs to be more realistic...

For example I don't mind pieces of wood breaking after a little while...

But stuff like meat hooks and swords and stuff just plain shouldn't break unless you find a rusty sword or something.

A way to balance this is to have permanent items like swords etc.

And then have breakable items that give you to option to use as they are and break after awhile, or once you have permanent weapons later on, these breakable items can be switched to a 'one hit kill' system that will be more difficult to pull off but at least picking up these items when you've got better weapons should add that cool incentive.

In fact breakable weapons should employ this system of normal/one-hit right from the start so you can utilize it however you want and that they'll still be useful after getting permanent weapons.

Of course as I said, the on-hit-kill feature will require some skill and quick timing to pull off otherwise you lose the weapon.
revolver
Just Passing Through

Post by revolver »

I like the breaking weapons idea if it's done properly. I really like how the wine bottle in SH 4 broke and became a whole new sort of weapon. if that happened more it would be nice.
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

I'll say Yay but with a little more realism. Like the more naturally strong weapons not breaking for a longer time.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

Very very very very VERY big NEY!!!!!

It's the reason I turned off the PS2 version yet again because the weapons broke and I got attacked loads by the dolls.

I hate it!!!
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

I really don't think it was ^that big of a deal. [Weapon breaks, pick a new one, continue beating] couldn't you even set it so you automatically equip the next weapon in the inventory? I was never caught off guard when mine broke, because I expected it so I waited for it and as soon as I heard it break I went into my inventory and picked a new one. Done deal. No problems.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
nowhere
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by nowhere »

It last to get used to it.
http://p2.foorumi.info/silenthillsuomi/index.php

silent hill forum in finland
Empyrean
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Empyrean »

I would not have minded if there was breakable and unbreakable items like a piece of wood=breakable and some thing like the sledge hammer=unbreakable and then make it so you have the ubreakable ones appear latter in the game. the way the have it kind of sucks and I found my self on the first play through basicaly running from everthing for fear I might require a whole arsenal later in the game. then the second play through I just used the gauntlets and kicked the crap out of everything so I really never used anything except for fire arms.
HeresJohnny
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by HeresJohnny »

Hell no..I mean nay! I thought it might have been cool when I first heard about it but it turned out to be more of a pain in the ass.
1337_cait
Just Passing Through

Post by 1337_cait »

SUPER NAY. The breaking frustrated the hell out of me :<
Mr.Death
Just Passing Through

Post by Mr.Death »

I loved it,but for personal reasons,I generally like to "use things up".It wasn't realistic,but I didn't mind.Sometimes it's good for things to be unreal.But I liked finding weapons,and using them until they were gone,cause like I said,I like to use up/destroy things.
The death cannot die....