Trav's Arsenal

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Trav's Arsenal

Post by Oddish »

THE FIREARMS OF SH0 - A Comparison

This is still a work in progress, I will add data as I get it. The figures are the number of hits with each weapon it takes to incapacitate a monster. As you all know, some monsters recover when shot, others don't. You can put six target pistol rounds in a Remnant and forget it, but you'd better kill a straitjacket after it goes down, or you'll have to spend far more than four rounds on it.

I have recently changed the format to omit monsters that the player never encounters while equipped with the given weapon: since no nurses or remnants appear beyond the sanitarium level, it is impossible to engage them with anything but the target pistol or the shotgun.

The Target Pistol - A Smith and Wesson 422, I believe. Normal capacity is ten rounds, the game reduces it to six. Fires the .22 round, which (with hyper-vel rounds) launches a 40-grain projectile at about 1200 fps. Best used for target practice or pest control. A popular choice of assassins, because with subsonic ammo, it’s relatively quiet.
Nurses - 3 or 4
Straitjackets - 4
Remnants - 6
Carrions - 5
Twobacks - 6
Supercarrions - 15
Caliphans – 14
The Butcher – 48 or 49

The Service Pistol - Probably a Star BM, a South American variant of the venerable M1911A1, chambered for the 9mm cartridge. Magazine capacity is eight rounds. With a typical mil-spec load, it fires a 124-grain round at about 1100 fps. A good defensive weapon, with a good expanding round.
Straitjackets - 3
Carrions - 4
Twobacks - 4 (?)
Supercarrions - 12
Caliphans – 11
The Butcher - 39 or 40 (I think I missed one shot)

The Assault Rifle - An AK-47, the most successful assault rifle in the world (and better than the M-16, for armies that don’t have highly trained personnel and superior logistics), chambered for the 7.62x39mm round. Launches a 107-grain round at about 2400 fps. Magazine capacity is normally 30 rounds, though the game reduces it to 18. Best for combat, though some people swear by semi-automatic versions (which are legal in the US) for home defense.
Straitjackets - 3
Carrions - 4
Twobacks - 5, probably.
Supercarrions - 13
Caliphans - 12
The Butcher - 45 or so (I fired 51, but I think a few missed)
Comment: It’s rather odd that an AK-47 assault rifle does marginally less damage than a 9mm pistol, even though it’s far more powerful.

The Redeemer - Probably a customized Smith and Wesson 629, a stainless steel version of Dirty Harry’s gun. Holds six .44 Magnum rounds, launching a 240-grain bullet at about 1400 fps. Good for hunting deer, but will stop a bear up close. If used for self-defense indoors, it’s advisable to use a .44 Special load, a full-powered Magnum load can destroy your eardrums.
Straitjackets - 1
Carrions - 1 or 2
Twobacks - 2
Supercarrions - Haven't found one yet.
Caliphans - 5
The Butcher - 15-16 (est. - I fired 12, all I had, and it took 8 service rounds to finish it off)

Thought it a nice touch of realism that the pistol was actually less powerful than the hunting rifle or the shotgun, even though it's found later.

The Shotgun - A generic double-barreled breech-loading twelve-gauge scattergun, a design that’s a century and a half old. Only takes two shots, but each one launches multiple projectiles (with standard buckshot loads, anything from 27 .24-caliber pellets to nine .32 ones) at up to 1400 fps. Fine for hunting, and also for home-defense (though a pump-action is probably better).
Nurses - 1
Straitjackets - 1
Remnants - 2
Carrions - 1
Twobacks - 2
Supercarrions - 4
Caliphans – 3 (at close range)
The Butcher – Didn’t want to get that close to him, and it has NOTHING to do with his breath.

Considering that one blast from a shotgun is equivalent to 27 simultaneous hits from the target pistol, one would think that one blast would drop any monster. Apparently not.

The Hunting Rifle - Possibly a Winchester or Remington bolt-action, probably chambered for the .375 H&H (it’s mentioned as a .38 ). Three-shot magazine, but a fourth round can fit in the chamber. Fires a 250-grain bullet at close to 2900 fps, which is enough to flatten anything smaller than an elephant. Best used for hunting large and dangerous game.
Straitjackets - 1
Remnants - N/A
Carrions - 2
Twobacks - 2
Supercarrions - 4
Caliphans - 4
The Butcher - 13 (definitely my weapon of choice for this creepy thing)
Last edited by Oddish on 09 Feb 2009, edited 1 time in total.
AnastasisXD
Hope House Careworker

Post by AnastasisXD »

wow u have done a pretty nice job here !
u must have spend a lot on this.
(i also like the part about the Butcher's breath haha)
Travis
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Travis »

Very good job indeed! I always enjoy this kind of stuff. 8)
Sega is paying close attention. Every vote, every facebook like counts. Keep spreading the word!!