The Sanitarium

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

puppett
Just Passing Through

Post by puppett »

I save right before and after so I can explore without going through the hassle haha
Des573
Just Passing Through

Post by Des573 »

It's not hard, as long as you remember what to do. I usually save a couple of ampoules to keep up the pace.
Milquetoast
Just Passing Through

Post by Milquetoast »

I'll agree that it's not hard, just ssoooo long and boring. And it wouldn't be so bad if half the time wasn't spent backtracking through places you've already been to get to somewhere way on the other side :|
Sometimes, and atomic weapon is just an atomic weapon, ja? Except that one. That one is a f*cking c*ck, you sick sh*t.
Shacknasty
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Shacknasty »

Pretty much. Nothing about Origins is hard really.
Look for the ridiculous in everything and you will find it. - Jules Renard
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

Just boring and repetitive.
Aldo
Just Passing Through

Post by Aldo »

Milquetoast wrote:I'll agree that it's not hard, just ssoooo long and boring. And it wouldn't be so bad if half the time wasn't spent backtracking through places you've already been to get to somewhere way on the other side :|
It does pick up greatly after the Sanitarium level though. I think the theater and the motel are some of the creepiest locations in all of the Silent Hill games, Hell's Decent from Homecoming notwithstanding.
One more soul to the call, for all, in silence...
Comes two more souls to the call, for all, and in time!
Three more more souls to the call, they fall...
Unknowing that four more souls to the call, won't be all, and you know it!
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I agree with Aldo.

And personally I actually really liked the sanitarium, I just, like everybody else, got a bit fed up of how much backtracking you have to do.

The backtracking is a little less tedious if you learn to switch off your flashlight and tip-toe past the enemies in some areas rather than taking the time to kill everything.

But it had some really memorable moments and ideas, the puzzles right near the end get really cool, and it's worth every step of the backtracking for the awesome boss.

Makes for some hilarious Travis comments though, I remember walking into a solitary confinement room where there are razorblades in the sink and blood everywhere, and he says "It looks like there was some kind of accident", LOL
Midori-chan
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Midori-chan »

Shacknasty wrote:Pretty much. Nothing about Origins is hard really.
Ditto.

This game is different from the others in the series, even the puzzles were not hard at all, as for the creepy-ness factor it was meh. It was a bit creepy (the Sanitarium, the motel, the theater) other than that it was pretty average. I still wish if the Sanitarium had more unlocked rooms and places that you can discover, it was too big but only a small part of it was explorable.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/profile/Midori-tan/]Profile[/url]\\[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Midori-tan]My Anime List[/url]\\[url=http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Midori-tan]My Manga List[/url]
Milquetoast
Just Passing Through

Post by Milquetoast »

Aldo wrote: It does pick up greatly after the Sanitarium level though. I think the theater and the motel are some of the creepiest locations in all of the Silent Hill games, Hell's Decent from Homecoming notwithstanding.
Yeah, I love the Theatre, it's probably my favourtite part. Though in the Sanitarium, I will say I really enjoyed that puzzle with
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Those four dolls with the pills representing the four mental patients
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

That's the puzzle I was referring to. :)
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I dislike the hugeness of the Sanitarium, but I love some of the creepy moments. The best example would have to be when I first entered the basement. I half-saw that carrion going around the corner and almost screamed WTF is that outloud.
Eric-3
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Eric-3 »

DistantJ wrote:The backtracking is a little less tedious if you learn to switch off your flashlight and tip-toe past the enemies in some areas rather than taking the time to kill everything.
That reminds me about something I once read about this game. It was a topic about "How to make silent hill not scary"...for whatever reason. The person suggested "Become the hunter instead of the hunted. Play with the flashlight off, sneak up on enemies, and strike when their backs are turned." I did that on another playthrough for the heck of it.

As a sidenote, I also found I could eventually see better in the dark than with the flashlight on, oddly enough. Maybe your eyes just adjust to it better, as opposed to having that bright light in otherwise darkness all the time.

...Back on topic, I did find this level to be long. Regardless, I wasn't particularly annoyed by it. I do tend to check the map often though, so it really makes it less likely for me to get lost in there and spend more time in it.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I don't usually get lost either, as I'm good at remembering maps. On a more recent playhtrough, I had forgotten where the one key was and trekked back and forth across the building until I found it suspended over one of the beds.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

On my first time through, the sanitarium gave me a bit of a hard time just because of all the enemies. I've played it a couple of times since, and I do like the sanitarium, especially now that the enemies don't give me so much trouble (especially if I decide to whip out the tesla rifle). I think it's a nicely designed environment and I think it's pretty neat the way they worked out what order you have to do things in and where you have to use the mirrors, etc.
I also like the puzzle that you do towards the end of this stage.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

The doll/pill puzzle is my favorite puzzle in all the SH games-next to the remade piano puzzle in SM.
SHF

Post by SHF »

the music was awesome.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
Restoration01
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Restoration01 »

^I agree.
I really liked the part before the fight with Travis' Mother.
Examining all the drawings.
I still remember getting a bit frightened at the 1st audio flash back of the sanitarium. :oops:
PyrmidHeadPwner
Just Passing Through

Post by PyrmidHeadPwner »

I personally HATE the sanitarium. Here's my preferences:

1) Streets
2) Otherworld Streets
3) Hotel
4) Hospital
5) Artaud Theatre
6) Sanitarium
dsagent
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by dsagent »

Restoration01 wrote:^I agree.
I really liked the part before the fight with Travis' Mother.
Examining all the drawings.
I still remember getting a bit frightened at the 1st audio flash back of the sanitarium. :oops:
I actually put the song on my PSP so I could listen to it whenever.
The meaning of all life, the universe, and the answer to all questions is:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Like I would tell You! MUHAHAHAhahaha!!!!!
Dante
Just Passing Through

Post by Dante »

I hate that level.

Too long,big and boooring. :(
[img]http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/811/renadelusions.jpg[/img]