PSP or PS2?

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

rm2kking
Historical Society Historian

PSP or PS2?

Post by rm2kking »

Which is superior in terms of character and monster design? I'm not talking graphics, as the PS2 clearly has the upper hand there, but rather the actual character designs.
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

I think this has been discussed already, but for the sake of not having a completely off-topic post: The PSP version has far less bugs and I believe the character models are considered to be superior (don't quote me on that.)

However, the PS2 version does contain some fixes in a few cutscenes. Before the fixes Alessa was really out of character I guess.
I once was lost, but am now profound.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

I really liked the redesigns of the Straightjacket monsters and the Nurses; the whole surgical-mask-melded-to-face thing is great.

What are these bugs you speak of? I have played both versions all the way through and I don't remember there being any bugs (and no I'm not talking about insects, though it's true I don't remember any of those either, lol).
I dreamed I lay in a dark valley and all around me were the titanic forms of archangels. I heard distant voices and I knew these supernatural warriors were chanting a litany...
"We are the Warriors at the End of Time. We are the lost, the last, the unkind. We are the Warriors on the Edge of Time and we're tired, we're tired... We're tired of making love..."
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

My PS2 game of Origins has really bad sound and gameplay glitches. The music will cut out after only one loop, pretty much killing the atmosphere. When I switch weapons in the inventory screen, they all have the same picture.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

Oh yeah. I forgot about all that. Yeah, mines like that too :/
I dreamed I lay in a dark valley and all around me were the titanic forms of archangels. I heard distant voices and I knew these supernatural warriors were chanting a litany...
"We are the Warriors at the End of Time. We are the lost, the last, the unkind. We are the Warriors on the Edge of Time and we're tired, we're tired... We're tired of making love..."
Darkness
Just Passing Through

Post by Darkness »

Video Gamer wrote:My PS2 game of Origins has really bad sound and gameplay glitches. The music will cut out after only one loop, pretty much killing the atmosphere. When I switch weapons in the inventory screen, they all have the same picture.
Yeah, I think everyone has those problems. It's a damn glitchy game. I wish Team Silent had worked on this one.
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

Video Gamer wrote:My PS2 game of Origins has really bad sound and gameplay glitches. The music will cut out after only one loop, pretty much killing the atmosphere. When I switch weapons in the inventory screen, they all have the same picture.
I have both PSP and PS2 versions of the game, but I haven't played the PS2 version yet. Are you playing on a PS3 or PS2? It would suck to have those glitches while playing in the PS2.
I think I'm going to check that today.
Enika
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Enika »

Scarlet wrote:
I have both PSP and PS2 versions of the game, but I haven't played the PS2 version yet. Are you playing on a PS3 or PS2? It would suck to have those glitches while playing in the PS2.
Hmm.. I played Origins [ps2 ver] on the PS2 and PS3.. The weapon picture change in the inventory screen is present no matter whether it's the PS2 or 3, I'm pretty sure about that, but I don't seem to remember have any problems with the music. I seem to have memories of the music stopping after a single loop maybe once or twice, but I didn't experience it consistently. I think I got the issues mostly in the Sanitarium.

According to the Playstation Compatibility List, the 20 and 60 gig models shouldn't have any problems, and the only problem listed for the 80 gig model is "During a specific FMA sequence, the FMA does not play as intended. " I have an 80 gig and never experienced this problem, though.
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

Darkness wrote:
Yeah, I think everyone has those problems. It's a damn glitchy game. I wish Team Silent had worked on this one.
Oh no, you didn't. :|
I once was lost, but am now profound.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

Playing on PS2. my PS3 isn't backwards-compatible.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Well, the problem of the "same item picture" is present on Origins from the PS2, but in my opinion it's not much to think about... You select the rifle with a handgun picture but you're still selecting a rifle (it wouldn't be nice if you selected a rifle with a handgun picture but what you got was a handgun, I think you guys know what I'm trying to say...)
But mine don't have any sound problems, only a few glitches happened to me, like when I killed a huge Carrion he didn't vanished and blocked my way, another one is when I opened a door and all I got was a blackscreen forever. These kind of things.

Regardless the glitches this game is damn cool, I said before and I'll say it again: This is the game that I found more cool to walk in the SH streets (or something) ;)
Enika
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Enika »

As a side note, another glitch I noticed is that sometimes when you pick up a memo, it automatically exits out instead of letting you read. It's not a big deal, just a little bit annoying since you just have to open up the pause menu and select it...

In regards to the "which to get" question, I'd say it would boil down to whether you'd prefer to play Origins on a handheld or a console. PS2 is glitchier, yes, but the glitches generally aren't gamebreaking, just kind of annoying.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

I only got one problem with my sound, in one spot the music did cut out after one loop, and then theres the gun images (but that is a petty issue). I do so enjoy seeing it on a big-ass TV though. Especially those wicked cutscenes. The one where Alessa brings forth the Dark World is simply awesome.
Agent of God
Subway Guard

Post by Agent of God »

It is a PSP game.The most fun was playing it portable :!:
We are still here...
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

Silent Hill at school is a great thing.
Agent of God
Subway Guard

Post by Agent of God »

Silent Hill at work is a great thing :lol:
We are still here...
dman
Just Passing Through

Post by dman »

I have the PSP version and I can't think of any serious bugs. The graphics are fantastic for a handheld console too.

I've seen the PS2 screens and videos on YouTube - it still looks sweet to me!!

The best way for buyers to decide which game should probably be based on what would be more comfortable to you. Do you like the PS2 controller layout? Or do you want portability?
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

The PS2 version is very awesome, but it has annoying little bugs, but nothing that affects the actual game, just like menu-screen item picture swapping and crap.
morgs
Just Passing Through

Post by morgs »

I got it for the PSP first and played up till half way through the sanitarium. I had to quite at that point because the PSP screen was too dark even with the brightness up and I found the sound quite bad too (Im not a PSP fan as you may tell). Got it on the PS2 and found the brightness and sound much better. The bugs I ran into on the PS2 are:

Music: The fight theme goes on for a while after the fights are over and then cuts out without any fadeing.

Weapons menu: I remember haveing nothing but 15 planks of wood at one point lol.

Ammo pick-ups: auto clicks off description as soon as you pick up.

Map: I recall at lest 1 red mark missing over a locked door. Not sure if there is more?
[the fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh}
Dr. Eggnog

Post by Dr. Eggnog »

From what I've heard, people think that Origins was way too bright even on the lowest brightness settings and that you hardly ever really need to use your flashlight. I did anyway, just because I liked the way it looked.

Silent Hill: Origns was the main game I bought a PSP for, along with Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions and Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters. SH and Ratchet were quite good and FFT was absolutely amazing.

I find it a little difficult to imagine playing this on PS2. When an old console game gets ported to a portable console, that's one thing, but its hard for me to see playing what was supposed to be a portable game on a TV screen.