My Silent Hill Origins Review

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Whitney »

Video Gamer wrote:Sorry...
Paragraph 1 was to you, paragraph 2 is to him.
My bad.
oh okay :)
My Websites!
Image Image Image
snakesonaplane
Just Passing Through

Post by snakesonaplane »

Whitney I should have known that you would rip apart my statements. Just like the true Silent Hill fan you are.

I cannot disagree with what you said or come back with an rebuttal.

Video Gamer what do you want me to do? Obtain video footage of a section of SH and put music in it?

To be honest if that is what you want me to do I could never "full fill it". Think of it like this. You are sick and go to a doctor and the doctor is like "you have to go see this type of doctor but I can give you this in the mean time". I am that doctor and Akira Yamaoka is the special doctor.

I can give you like an example and something that can SOMEWHAT go with it. But it:

1.) Won't fit 100%
2.) Might not make sense to a lot of people

Only Akira Yamaoka can do this and have it work PERFECTLY and SEAMLESSLY. Which is what I said before. I am in no way qualified to produce or even patch music in Silent Hill. Even if I was to patch it I don't think you would see my point.

Does that make sense?

EDIT:

Where are you guys getting this upbeat stuff from? I said:

"techno dance pop" Not techno upbeat.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

>"techno dance pop" Not techno upbeat.
I can now see it clear.

Every time you hit an enemy, you hear "Snap - I've got the poweeeeeeh!!".
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Akira Yamaoka doesn't even DO techno pop music.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

>Akira Yamaoka doesn't even DO techno pop music.
He does.

Spelmusik.net, retrieved 2002-07-16
You have made some songs for Beatmania and DDRMAX. How was that? Was it very different from your Silent Hill work?

– I really love creating club tracks besides sounds such as those found in Silent Hill. Just like the Silent Hill project, I really enjoy working for these projects as well.

Source: http://www.spelmusik.net/intervjuer/aki ... a_eng.html
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
GrievousGarland

Post by GrievousGarland »

Couldn't you just play "techno pop" music on your ipod or stereo whilst playing Silent hill? -_-
MistahJ
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MistahJ »

snakesonaplane wrote:Have you ever seen a Clockwork Orange? During the movie a band of men go into a mans house. Tie him up and proceed to gang rape his wife right in front of him. While they were starting the gang rape they were singing "Singing in the Rain". A upbeat song that is all about how great it is to be in love. Think about it in a physiological thing. Here is a man watching his wife being gang raped to the point that she dies from it and during this they are singing that song. Not some dark song and had nothing to do with the event. Yet it adds to the psychological game they play. Silent Hill can do this.
I haven't seen the movie, but I have read the book and the song did fit perfectly I believe. It was creepy and disturbing and fit well with the situation.

Silent Hill on the other hand is more moody and dark. While A Clockwork Orange had some big batches of hidden humor here and there, Silent Hill doesn't really have that much. Therefore, I believe something as bright and humorous as that song wouldn't fit with Silent Hill. Nor techno music for that matter.

Industrial ambiance is what Silent Hill music should be and already is. The only thing I can think of in a Silent Hill game that would involve techno music would have to be an unlockable ending of some sort. That's it.
snakesonaplane
Just Passing Through

Post by snakesonaplane »

GrievousGarland wrote:Couldn't you just play "techno pop" music on your ipod or stereo whilst playing Silent hill? -_-
It does not fit it though. I need something designed from the ground up using Silent Hills engine.

Also I don't believe in iPods.
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

snakesonaplane wrote:
GrievousGarland wrote:Couldn't you just play "techno pop" music on your ipod or stereo whilst playing Silent hill? -_-
It does not fit it though. I need something designed from the ground up using Silent Hills engine.

Also I don't believe in iPods.
You don't..."believe" in iPods...?

Silent Hill doesn't have a special sound engine, for one. Two, Yamaoka has done techno in the past. If he felt that a techno-pop song would fit in with the atmosphere of a game, it would have already happened.
snakesonaplane
Just Passing Through

Post by snakesonaplane »

Correct. I don't believe in them.

Everything has a way or an engine as I call it. If you have notice all Silent Hill games use a formula that is pretty much the same. I call this the Silent Hill sound engine. Almost every game has one.

I disagree. There are a lot of things that take a while to develop. Like I said to create something like this would be pretty intense and use a lot of resources. Yamaoka would really have to dive deep to make it come out PERFECT. Stuff sounds great all the time but at times it takes a while to get it right and implement them.

Kind of like Silent Hill Origins weapons system. I mean you can pick up pretty much ANYTHING and use it as a weapon. Which makes a lot of sense and more realistic. It took a while and a few Silent Hill games to get there.
Please view my Silent Hill 2 AMV!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSh0RdDCLQ4

Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

And then they tossed it back out again because hauling around fifty TVs isn't realistic at all.

Are Ipods a theory or religion now or something?
GrievousGarland

Post by GrievousGarland »

Video Gamer wrote:And then they tossed it back out again because hauling around fifty TVs isn't realistic at all.

Lol. My new favorite saying is: "I don't believe in ipods."

Someone should write to apple about it. I'd love to see snakesonaplane do it.
Severeth
Gravedigger

Post by Severeth »

I believe in Santa Claus, yes I do, yes it's trueee~. I believe in him because he bought meeeeee~... a non existant iPod.

Or not.

Actually I've never had an iPod.
I have a Youtube account where I sometimes post SH related videos. www.youtube.com/user/severeth

http://www.last.fm/user/Severeth
snakesonaplane
Just Passing Through

Post by snakesonaplane »

Video Gamer wrote:And then they tossed it back out again because hauling around fifty TVs isn't realistic at all.

I don't know what you are complaining about. It is a game and I was saying that having the ability to use random items is more realistic then just having a couple of gun and a pipe. You brought up the inventory aspect.

No they are not a theory or religion I just don't believe they are good or as excellent as people say they are. Eregon I don't believe in them.
Axel_98
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Axel_98 »

=/ idk if yall have moved off the review part or not but I just beat Origins like 2 minutes ago and umm heres my 3 cents...

I was disappointed to say the least. The puzzles were easy. The story was kinda not what I expected after playing SH2. The breakable weapons and 1 hit wonder weapons annoyed the hell outta me... didnt like the monsters too much because carrions and calibans are annoying as hell... it wasnt creepy or scary at all... Like I played SH2 right before Origins and in SH2 I was kinda 2nd questioning myself if I wanna enter this room or if I should check out these screams, this is not the case for me in Origins.
Not as much cool stuff as SH2 idk... Just kinda didnt do it for me...

Now FYI i was a SH virgin til about 2 weeks ago when I picked up SH2 so I havent played any of the other Silent Hills but sadly from what I hear it doesnt get any better after Origins =/ .

Edit 1] Btw, they coulda made that tunnel you crawl through at the end SOOOOOOOO much freakier... I was expecting to see something move in the foreground as your crawling just to creep u out but no, just half a minute of boring crawling...
~The Bird of Hermes is My Name; Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame~