Should I buy Origins for the PS2?

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

carneeval
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by carneeval »

Huh, strange, I never had issue with the game being dark, it was actually the perfect coloring on my TV.
[img]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/animefairyofdarkness/o0p1cpjpgcopy.jpg[/img]
Most people say Henry's a pervert because of looking through the peephole to Eileen's room, but here's the thing: Your not required to do that, it's the players choice.
So whose the pervert now :P?

((Apparently you can OD on Green Tea...And it's painful.))
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Aldo wrote:Without giving away any spoilers at all I felt there was a level in the game that just went on far too long. It got to the point where I nearly wanted to turn it off and stop playing. But I soldiered on and the next couple of areas more than made up for that long stretch.
Hm, which part was that? Could you put it in a spoiler tag or something perhaps?

Something I found unique about this Silent Hill was how tough the monsters outside in Silent Hill were. Just like Homecoming it has you crapping yourself in fear because you know they can easily kick your ass, whilst the previous ones I found the harder monsters would be indoors.
Travis
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Travis »

DistantJ wrote:Hm, which part was that? Could you put it in a spoiler tag or something perhaps?
I'm guessing it was
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
the sanitarium
Sega is paying close attention. Every vote, every facebook like counts. Keep spreading the word!!
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

^I thought about that too.

And yes, I had little issues with it's darkness but I made the bright on my tv go a bit higher and the problem was solved. But I don't know why but some people can't find that to work, esp. aitt that once said something like "If you let it like this it's dark as fuck and if you add more brightness it goes to bright as shit" or something like that, still, funny :lol:
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Ah yeah, now that I think about it there were lots of drawn out bits where you had to keep retracing your steps back and forth and along different floors to get keys etc. which did start to drag after a while, but that section of the game was pretty awesome in my opinion and a Silent Hill
sanitarium
was something we definitely had to have seen sooner or later!
Aldo
Just Passing Through

Post by Aldo »

Yeah, since I'm new I wasn't sure how much I should have said. But what you all put in spoiler tags was what I was talking about.
One more soul to the call, for all, in silence...
Comes two more souls to the call, for all, and in time!
Three more more souls to the call, they fall...
Unknowing that four more souls to the call, won't be all, and you know it!
Milquetoast
Just Passing Through

Post by Milquetoast »

Aldo wrote:Without giving away any spoilers at all I felt there was a level in the game that just went on far too long. It got to the point where I nearly wanted to turn it off and stop playing. But I soldiered on and the next couple of areas more than made up for that long stretch.
I couldn't agree more. It went on FOREVER... I was playing yesterday for the first time in about a month, and was all excited to try for a daredevil/ sprinter run, until I realized I would have to play that part in one go... Not gonna happen :roll:

I can't say I've really ever experienced all this glitching so often spoken of... Except for the first time I went for a daredevil sprinter run, and it froze in the loading screen right before
The demon fight
I almost cried, until I realized that the game isn't very long anyways
carneeval
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by carneeval »

^
I'm going to try the Daredevil run now that I have all the Unlockable weapons XD
[img]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/animefairyofdarkness/o0p1cpjpgcopy.jpg[/img]
Most people say Henry's a pervert because of looking through the peephole to Eileen's room, but here's the thing: Your not required to do that, it's the players choice.
So whose the pervert now :P?

((Apparently you can OD on Green Tea...And it's painful.))
Caine
Just Passing Through

Post by Caine »

no you shouldnt buy it, it's crap. play the first over again would be better.
_Drake_
Hope House Careworker

Post by _Drake_ »

That's your opinion, not to mention if you had looked back in the thread, you'd see that many people enjoy Origins in both forms. I myself love Origins, placing it in my top 3, behind Shattered Memories and 2.

I say, that if you'd like some graphical upgrades, get it for the PS2. But, if you'd prefer Silent Hill on the go, get it for the PSP. I've only played the PSP version, but I can assure you. Origins is top-notch and a beautiful game in essence.

~Drake

"Oh it get's to me alright" - Vincent
My Silent Hill Fanfic, Silent Hill: Spiritual Dissonance
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Caine wrote:no you shouldnt buy it, it's crap. play the first over again would be better.
Oh my god, you're in HERE now as well? I swear you're just doing this to annoy people now. You're one of those Japanophiles who hates everything which comes out of the US before they even try it. I'll bet if they stuck the Team Silent logo on it and told the media it was made in Japan you'd have loved every minute of it.
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

DistantJ wrote:
Caine wrote:no you shouldnt buy it, it's crap. play the first over again would be better.
Oh my god, you're in HERE now as well? I swear you're just doing this to annoy people now. You're one of those Japanophiles who hates everything which comes out of the US before they even try it. I'll bet if they stuck the Team Silent logo on it and told the media it was made in Japan you'd have loved every minute of it.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Haha... Sorry... This guy and this kind of attitude just wind me up... And I think he's doing it just because he knows that.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Mace63
Just Passing Through

Post by Mace63 »

I've been playing the game for quite a bit now, and I'm somewhere at the motel.

While I really love the game, I have to admit it was a bit hard for me. I mean, the monsters are like 99% to catch you in those narrow halls, or even in streets, everywhere :/ (I especially hate Straight Jackets and Carrions) and cause GREAT damage. I barely ever have any health drinks left. But of course this is probably because of my poor playing skills. And also I find the game very hard to control, sometimes I have to push the select button on my PS2 controller twice so the inventory screen opens (and my controler is brand new and works fine with everything else).

For everything else in the game, it's AMAZING, and I really enjoy playing it (except when it gets too frustrating with the monsters).

And can I ask you guys for a bit of advice? Do you recommend fighting most monsters or running away from them? I tried both, but ended up (most of the times) wounded really bad and wasting all my health drinks...
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

A little tip for you, Mace, in a dark area, switch off your flashlight (before entering the room) and walk slowly. Most monsters won't even see/hear you, even if you end up quite close to them.

I think it's a good that the monsters can be so tough because it makes you genuinely afraid and on edge, but at the same time there's a fundamental flaw in the series' system of using health drinks - if you use them up earlier on you're screwed later.

When you get to the very last area in the game, though, being a horror fan you'll thank them for making the enemies so hard (and the ones in that area twice as strong), because you'll be absolutely terrified! It worked for me anyway.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Mace63
Just Passing Through

Post by Mace63 »

^Really? I'll try switching the flashlight off when near enemies in dark rooms then. Well, yeah, I guess you are right, because I am really afraid when I'm playing Origins! I really have to admit that I never expected it to be so scary!

Thanks for the tip, I hope it'll help me through the game.
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Yeah, I find the tough enemies in 0rigins and Homecoming help the game to be scary even when we're jaded to the world of Silent Hill after so many revisits, since the traditional but now fading psychological fear of the unknown is heightened by the fear of being, for lack of a better word, PWNED.

Switching the flashlight off saved me a lot of health, ammo and weapons. In the very final area it's best to try to completely avoid all monsters (really not wise to fight them) but it's so frightening when you can hear them all around you, heheh...
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

So, Krackalackin, are you buying the game or not :D ?
Siaye
Just Passing Through

Post by Siaye »

Definately go for it, Dude. I loved it. And worry not about dated graphics, the game looks brilliant.
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

I think I had really bad luck on with the PS2 version of Origins. It was so damn disappointing to me.

Mainly because the music would stop looping or playing.

For example at the end of the game with the crazy industrial ambience. It'd play once and then all I'd hear was 'drip drip drip' in some random room. Really ruined it for me.

Happened on both copies.

I really love Origins so this was a massive disappointment for me since I was really excited to have it on the PS2.

I just play it on my TV with the PSP cables.