Should I buy Origins for the PS2?

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

EvilDead77
Just Passing Through

Post by EvilDead77 »

As mentioned before the only glitches I encountered was the inventory and as Little Red said, save time is a bitch
Aldo
Just Passing Through

Post by Aldo »

I got the game for PS2 (and my PS2 was a launch PS2), and I never had any problems with it. Well, the inventory glitch, but that's in no way game breaking.
One more soul to the call, for all, in silence...
Comes two more souls to the call, for all, and in time!
Three more more souls to the call, they fall...
Unknowing that four more souls to the call, won't be all, and you know it!
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

Aldo wrote:I got the game for PS2 (and my PS2 was a launch PS2), and I never had any problems with it. Well, the inventory glitch, but that's in no way game breaking.
What is the inventory glitch?
carneeval
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by carneeval »

^
When you click on a weapon to reload it or to equip it the picture will change into the weapon next to it. For me this only happens with firearms.
[img]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/animefairyofdarkness/o0p1cpjpgcopy.jpg[/img]
Most people say Henry's a pervert because of looking through the peephole to Eileen's room, but here's the thing: Your not required to do that, it's the players choice.
So whose the pervert now :P?

((Apparently you can OD on Green Tea...And it's painful.))
sumcaker
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by sumcaker »

^I believe its when two items appear the same, such as two rifles, but its actually one rifle and pistol for example.

Edit: damn, Carneeval Beat me : P
^^
carneeval
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by carneeval »

^
XD Sorry 'bout that. Yes, sometimes when I first played it I became confused for a few seconds questioning how I got two of the guns before I came to the quick realization it was a glitch XD
[img]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/animefairyofdarkness/o0p1cpjpgcopy.jpg[/img]
Most people say Henry's a pervert because of looking through the peephole to Eileen's room, but here's the thing: Your not required to do that, it's the players choice.

sumcaker
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by sumcaker »

^No harm done : P. Ive never played origins myself, but Ive seen a few people online such as LP'ers and other random vids who have experienced the glitch and got confused over it and it was very funneh it watch XD
^^
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

Is there any text that indicates which weapon is selected?
carneeval
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by carneeval »

^
Yes indeed there is, the description stays the same but the picture changes.

krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

oh okay so it's not a big deal, but I imagine it's pretty confusing at first!
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

I was saying about that glitch since page 1, page 1. Another fact that everyone ignores what I write and only check my comments when it's about being an "asshole".
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

Mephisto wrote:I was saying about that glitch since page 1, page 1. Another fact that everyone ignores what I write and only check my comments when it's about being an "asshole".
I saw your comment about the glitch Mephisto and didn't comment because I didn't know if was something that maybe only you had experienced. It was only after several people started commenting on the glitch that I decided to ask. It was nothing against you, I just didn't know what you were talking about at the time. I appreciate all positive comments. :)
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I'd say do it! I LOVED 0rigins, and I only played it on the PS2, because I didn't have a PSP. People have always said to me that if you have a PSP to get the PSP version because it was built for it and is the best version, but if you don't have one the PS2 version will satisfy you I'm sure.

The complaints are all pretty much port-related, really. The graphics are enhanced for a bigger screen, but they're dated by today's PS2 standards, they have nothing on the beautiful Silent Hill 3, they're about on level with SH2. The glitches... I didn't notice any to be honest. Wait - I think at one point I got stuck in a floor or something, lol, but it can't have been game-breaking if I barely remember it.

The biggest problems if you ask me are issues in place due to the limitations of the PSP which have not been ironed out for the PS2. An example would be the lack of camera control. You don't really have any way to move the camera or look around due to the PSP only having one analog stick, and the PS2 version seems to be a pretty quick port (aside from some improved graphics) so they've not worked a camera control system in there. Needless to say there are some awkward angles like in any horror game, and I did find myself fighting monsters I couldn't see a few times towards the end, took me back to the PS1 days.

Despite all of those issues it's an amazing game and the PS2 port basically gives those of us without a PSP an opportunity to experience it. Just remember that you're basically playing a PSP game on a PS2 and you'll be able to forgive the graphical downgrade from SH3, lack of camera control etc. You'll love it.
Mace63
Just Passing Through

Post by Mace63 »

I have just played SH0 on PS2 and I have to say it's amazing. Especially graphics. I think my money was definitely worth it.
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Glad to hear it, Mace. :D I love the game.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

I have not yet played the PSP version for proper comparison, but I will say that the PS2 version of the game is dark to the point of extreme annoyance. One of the reasons I have yet to bother finishing the game is because the indoor areas are extremely difficult to navigate, no matter what creative little tricks I've employed to increase the brightness.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I never really had that problem, I actually really liked the darkness in it, perhaps turning up the brightness on your TV may help a little?
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Mace63
Just Passing Through

Post by Mace63 »

I've also noticed how the game is really dark, but I don't mind it at all. It makes the game scarier for me. I seriously can't wait to play it again ^^
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I remember the few moments leading up to the final boss of the game (that's all I'll say to avoid spoilers) absolutely scaring the bejeebus out of me, to the point where I had to switch off at the save point and do something else for a while to stop the hairs standing up on the back of my neck. The PS2 version even scarier since it doesn't mark your route out on your map like it does on the PSP (I learned that on the internet, I never played the PSP version).
Aldo
Just Passing Through

Post by Aldo »

Without giving away any spoilers at all I felt there was a level in the game that just went on far too long. It got to the point where I nearly wanted to turn it off and stop playing. But I soldiered on and the next couple of areas more than made up for that long stretch.
One more soul to the call, for all, in silence...
Comes two more souls to the call, for all, and in time!
Three more more souls to the call, they fall...
Unknowing that four more souls to the call, won't be all, and you know it!