Why Alessa chooses Travis as her pawn?

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

mikefile
Gravedigger

Why Alessa chooses Travis as her pawn?

Post by mikefile »

At the beginning I thought it was a coincidence, but then I started to equalize what does two have in common:

*Alessa's mum was crazy just as Helen was- both of Alessa and Travis were abused physically and mentally+ both of them tried to kill their children because they understood it as an inevitable obligation: "It was my responsability, my flesh and blood.. I brought him to this world and I had to take him out!"
*abstract ideas- both of the mothers had abstract ideas which influenced their child's behavior= Dahlia talked about the birth of God which Alessa transformed into a living nigtmare; Helen talked about the people in the mirrrors that ordered her to kill her child and the Otherworld which Travis obviously "adapted".
*Alessa=whitch; Travis=devil child ; Alessa was bullied in Midwitch for beeing a witch, while Helen costantly tormented Travis for beeing the devil
*absence of a father- Alessa never had a father, while in the matter of Travis- Richard was no father.

So.. Travis saved Alessa from the fire.- coincidence or not? (we can't say like in the matter of SH2 that the town "called" Travis because he was just "passing a shortcut through Silent Hill"). Alessa then used him to help her freeing her by using the Flauros device, which pieces are hidden (if I understood well, by Dahlia) in places relevant to the happenings which occured in Silent Hill. What are the meanings of the pieces; I'm not sure how to link the past, future, falsehood, etc.. pieces to the the happenings of Alessa and Travis.

Suggestions?
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Re: Why Alessa chooses Travis as her pawn?

Post by Mephisto »

Based on your theories I think you answered your own question. Alessa found Travis easy to relate because they felt and lived trough the same things (kinda).

About the Flauros pieces: I don't have a clue.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

I'm sorry if this is a little too off topic-
but about the theater level--I loved it to death, but don't understand why there was a piece there.
Although it really is fun to visualize Alessa watching a play in innocent, wide-eyed wonder, then-BANG!-fear!

I'm sure there are probably all sorts of things about Silent Hill & The Tempest that we were supposed to notice and never did.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Travis was at the right place and the right time, and he also had all the psychological baggage to make the two sympathetic to each other. It's really more or less the same type of overly-neat coincidence that ended up making Harry into a pawn, too.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

Yeah, it kinda seems coincidental sometimes, but there's only so much you can do with a video game story line. There's probably no such thing as true 'full creative control' in any area of mass entertainment, because you have to take your ideas and modify them to fit into your medium of choice.
Did I really have to use that many words to say that? What's wrong with me today?

I need to do a little more research about the second question you asked, then I'll get back to this thread.
Don't quote me on that-I've been know to forget things when something shiny catches my eye.

I keep wanting to focus on the damn theater level too much for some reason.
At any rate, you got me thinking about Ariel and Shakespeare again, so I now love you.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

About the Tempest thing, quoting (to make long story short I erased many of the boring stuff and left the relevant):

"The Tempest is a play by William Shakespeare. It is set on a remote island, where Prospero, the rightful Duke of Milan, plots to restore his daughter Miranda to her rightful place using illusion and skillful manipulation. He conjures up a storm, the eponymous tempest, to lure his usurping brother Antonio and the complicit King Alonso of Naples to the island. There, his machinations bring about the revelation of Antonio's low nature, the redemption of the King, and the marriage of Miranda to Alonso's son, Ferdinand."

So..
Prospero-a magician and the play's protagonist (maybe Dahlia)
Miranda- is Prospero's daughter (maybe Alessa)
Ariel- an airy spirit
Caliban- enslaved by Prospero, is the son of the witch Sycorax

So.. I tried to understand but I really have no clue. There are some interesting phrases that remind me a lot of Silent Hill but just can't connect it; like:

"Prospero plots to restore his daughter Miranda to her rightful place using illusion and skillful manipulation"- Dahlia tries to birth God from her daughter Alessa using illusion and skillful manipulation.... or..... the "illusion and skillful manipulation" may be refering to Alessa manipulating Travis

"He conjures up a storm, the eponymous tempest, to lure his usurping brother Antonio"- it remind's me of the Otherworld- especially the scene near the end when Alessa does the transition; like an eponymous tempest, an enormous storm to lure Travis.
Last edited by mikefile on 15 Apr 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

Yeah I noticed the similarities between them that you mentioned and saw how he fit as Alessa's savior. (Although he wasn't much of a savior as he didn't do much to prevent what happens in the first game.)
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Doctor Eggnog wrote:(Although he wasn't much of a savior as he didn't do much to prevent what happens in the first game.)
Well, his job was to free her powers/ even if he did it just partially (half of her soul); and in the first game she didn't need him anymore because she had Harry then.. / even if he also ruined more than helped..
QuartzCrystal2233
Just Passing Through

Post by QuartzCrystal2233 »

The things they have in common kinda creates an empathetic link between them so I guess it's easy for Travis to understand what Alessa went through. And here is a memo that can be found in the theater...I suppose it exposes another reason for their situation.

"Chapter 2: Repression & Coercion.

It is a fact well known to
intelligence services and military
agents: the more controlled a
mind, the more a mind censors
itself, the easier it is for outside
influences to take hold and
piggyback such mental
programming.

This is why these agencies choose
for their pawns those individuals
most compromised by their own
mental issues."

About the flauros... the past piece, maybe it has something to do with Travis past(His parents and all that)? the future piece...I don't know...I have a theory but it is too crazy...The falsehood piece could be that Travis has to stop living in a lie and face what happenned so it will be easier for him to feel sympathy for Alessa and help her?. Just theories! ^^
Maybe it would be good to link the pieces with the bosses you fight and analize that...Again just theories...