Silent Hill Heaven
http://silenthillforum.com/

Is Travis a "FerryMan" to Silent Hill?
http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23278
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Cheryl,Heather...whatever [ 14 Mar 2011 ]
Post subject:  Is Travis a "FerryMan" to Silent Hill?

In HomeComing Travis Transports Alex to Shepards Glen...

Has Travis Become a Sort of "ferryman of the River Styx" Character in Silent Hill?...

Has he transported others to Fogworld ect. since Origins?

is he Bound in service to Silent Hill,

Whats his Story?, clearly it cant be just a coincidence that he Brought Alex to Shepards Glen,

Author:  AuraTwilight [ 14 Mar 2011 ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Travis a "FerryMan" to Silent Hill?

No, it's just a cameo. A coincidence. There's no deeper meaning to it of any kind. Infact, the Homecoming model was intended for another character that got cut from production, and they wanted to use it for something, so they decided "Let's have a Travis cameo."

Author:  Cheryl,Heather...whatever [ 14 Mar 2011 ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Travis a "FerryMan" to Silent Hill?

Yeah, he was "the Hunter" in Homecoming until they scraped the character...Adn yeah it was probably just a fun Cameo for the Fans

But what about an In-universe explanation....it can't be coincidence, I know he doesnt show up at all later in the Game or anything, but it just struck me as Odd. I got the Impression that He knew Alex had to go though the ordeal of the game, and that he had a responsibility to get him there.

could just be a coincidence, in-universe, but it just seems like more than coincidence to me....

Author:  AuraTwilight [ 15 Mar 2011 ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Travis a "FerryMan" to Silent Hill?

Why can't it be coincidence? It's not even Silent Hill, he drove Alex to some OTHER town. It's been more than 30 years, too, and Travis was born and raised in the area, so most of his trucking routes are going to take him around the area. You're just making stuff up.

Author:  Cheryl,Heather...whatever [ 15 Mar 2011 ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Travis a "FerryMan" to Silent Hill?

. . .um...yeah, I'm just making stuff up....because, Silent Hill has a rich Mythology and therfore its fun to do that.

Sure it could just be Coincidence, and I know it was just a fun Cameo for the Fans...But whats the Harm in speculating?

Seems to me most things we are presented with in the Games is open to interpretation anyway.

So of course I am making it up, and seeing if anybody else got a similar vibe from his Cameo.

But put it this way...If I was Travis, No way I'd drive my Truck anywhere near Silent Hill...or Shepards Glen, after what I'd been through...I'd steer clear of Taluca Lake Lake....So, then, Looking at it Logicly...why would he?

But I dont know...thats why its just speculation

Author:  The Adversary [ 16 Mar 2011 ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Travis a "FerryMan" to Silent Hill?

Travis isn't in any threat by Silent Hill, or Alessa, after he leaves.

Author:  SilentWren [ 17 Mar 2011 ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Travis a "FerryMan" to Silent Hill?

For an in-game explanation (just because I really wanted to give it one) I tell myself that Travis felt Alex's "unrest" and decided that Silent Hill was a good place to take him. Like he was thinking "This'll be good for him. Glad I could give him a lift...."
If you go off of the good ending, Travis now understands Silent Hill's "therapy," and would therefor wish a trial-by-fire to anyone else who needed it. Even if Alex didn't have a strange past/town connections, he would've just waltzed into town unaffected. Either works.

Was that the devs intentions? Probably not, but it's the way I justify it to myself. It's not like Travis being in another game for a few minutes makes an impact on anything anyhow.

Author:  The Adversary [ 17 Mar 2011 ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Travis a "FerryMan" to Silent Hill?

Travis doesn't take Alex to Silent Hill. He takes Alex from Silent Hill to Shepherd's Glen.

Author:  SilentWren [ 17 Mar 2011 ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Travis a "FerryMan" to Silent Hill?

@self:
*facepalm*
Yeah, that happens at the BEGINNING of the game, Erin. Drink some more coffee....

Ok, now that that's out of the way, it was still a cute little cameo. :D

Author:  Zeraylph [ 17 Mar 2011 ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Travis a "FerryMan" to Silent Hill?

Cheryl,Heather...whatever wrote:
. . .um...yeah, I'm just making stuff up....because, Silent Hill has a rich Mythology and therfore its fun to do that.

Sure it could just be Coincidence, and I know it was just a fun Cameo for the Fans...But whats the Harm in speculating?

Seems to me most things we are presented with in the Games is open to interpretation anyway.

So of course I am making it up, and seeing if anybody else got a similar vibe from his Cameo.

But put it this way...If I was Travis, No way I'd drive my Truck anywhere near Silent Hill...or Shepards Glen, after what I'd been through...I'd steer clear of Taluca Lake Lake....So, then, Looking at it Logicly...why would he?

But I dont know...thats why its just speculation

I felt similarly, if I was Travis, I'd think twice before even going near the sign "Welcome to Silent Hill"...
"Silent Hill?... oh no, not that girl again, no more putting me to sleep, or nurses that attack me...not going back there."

But He's not in any danger after leaving the town, so I guess he's free to come and go.

Author:  Cheryl,Heather...whatever [ 17 Mar 2011 ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Travis a "FerryMan" to Silent Hill?

The Adversary wrote:
Travis doesn't take Alex to Silent Hill. He takes Alex from Silent Hill to Shepherd's Glen.



Yeah, But it still seems like Travis Got Alex to where he needed to be to begin his Journey....Like he knew what it ment, like it wasnt a coincidence....

Concidering Travis' Model was originally supposed to be The Hunter, I think its safe to assume its not what the Devs intended - However it appears that they made the Cameo Ambigious enough to leave it open to speculation, regarding Travis' Motivations.....

Author:  AuraTwilight [ 17 Mar 2011 ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Travis a "FerryMan" to Silent Hill?

Quote:
Yeah, But it still seems like Travis Got Alex to where he needed to be to begin his Journey....Like he knew what it ment, like it wasnt a coincidence....


How? He just drops the asshole off and shakes his hand goodbye, it's not like he gives him any cryptic hints or shows any indication of having any sort of special knowledge. Hell, you could've said it was some random ass trucker and nothing would've changed.

Author:  Cheryl,Heather...whatever [ 18 Mar 2011 ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Travis a "FerryMan" to Silent Hill?

True...if it was arandom Ass Trucker, I certainly would have thought nothing Of it...But Because its Travis...I meen Come on, I cant be the only one who thought That?

Travis - Hometown?
Alex - You Could Say that
Travis - Well...Good Luck Solder
Alex - Thanks

...Something About his tone, it did'nt sit right.

its ambigious because on the Surface it seems pretty trivial, But the Devs must have realised a Travis Cameo could spark speculation...

Author:  SilentWren [ 18 Mar 2011 ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Travis a "FerryMan" to Silent Hill?

They may have meant for us to speculate. I'll give you that. :D
Those sadistic fucks....

Author:  AuraTwilight [ 18 Mar 2011 ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Travis a "FerryMan" to Silent Hill?

Quote:
True...if it was arandom Ass Trucker, I certainly would have thought nothing Of it...But Because its Travis...I meen Come on, I cant be the only one who thought That?


It's a cameo. It's just like how they reused those Angela and Claudia models for random corpses in later games, or had a poster advertising the return of "Lady Maria" at some club.

Quote:
Travis - Hometown?
Alex - You Could Say that
Travis - Well...Good Luck Solder
Alex - Thanks

...Something About his tone, it did'nt sit right.


Because the voiceacting in Silent Hill is extremely bad.

Quote:
its ambigious because on the Surface it seems pretty trivial, But the Devs must have realised a Travis Cameo could spark speculation...


What doesn't spark speculation in Silent Hill? I mean, seriously. I've seen people argue that the Eddie boss fight was against an imaginary clone because he could take multiple bullets.

Author:  SilentWren [ 18 Mar 2011 ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Travis a "FerryMan" to Silent Hill?

AuraTwilight wrote:
I've seen people argue that the Eddie boss fight was against an imaginary clone because he could take multiple bullets.


Please, please....PLEASE someone tell me he's joking about that one....

Author:  Shadow [ 19 Mar 2011 ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Travis a "FerryMan" to Silent Hill?

^If that's the case, I'd love to hear the same person's interpretation of the
[Reveal] Spoiler: Silent Hill 1 Minor Spoiler
Cybil fight from SH1
. Some things are just a result of having to have an engaging boss fight. When was the last time there was a boss fight in any game where a human boss died because of one gunshot wound? 'Cause that fight would be pretty boring.

Author:  Harrys_Girl [ 19 Mar 2011 ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Travis a "FerryMan" to Silent Hill?

^Well...

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Cybil WAS posessed by a demon, so there is that. Most mythology lends great strength to the bodies of the possessed, so that would explain that.
As to Eddie taking like an entire clip, iunno. Invisible SH body armour???

Author:  AuraTwilight [ 19 Mar 2011 ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Travis a "FerryMan" to Silent Hill?

SilentWren wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:
I've seen people argue that the Eddie boss fight was against an imaginary clone because he could take multiple bullets.


Please, please....PLEASE someone tell me he's joking about that one....


No, someone actually did argue it. I forget who, but he was a contrarian mofo.

Author:  phantomess [ 23 Mar 2011 ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Travis a "FerryMan" to Silent Hill?

Put down my vote against the "ferryman" idea. Travis is a truck driver; he's on the road a lot. He gave a hitchhiker a ride to Shepherd's Glen. I do admit that it's interesting to imagine he's a sort of tool guiding other people to their journeys in Silent Hill, but it would be a bit much to assume, especially since it would pretty much go against the ending of Origins.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/