Kaufmann, Out of Character

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Kaufmann, Out of Character

Post by KiramidHead »

People here tend to complain about how Lisa was portrayed in Origins, but few actually point out that Kaufmann's characterization was off, too. Climax seemed to go out of their way to make him seem EVIL, with all caps. Everything from the expression on his face to his voice just reeks of villain. In the first game, he at first seemed like a totally normal guy who was caught up in a frightening situation. In origins, he even looks just like G-Man from Half Life! What gives?
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Re: Kaufmann, Out of Character

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

It's been a while since I've played 0rigins, but from memory Kaufmann didn't come across as different to me. He was taking advantage of a young and naive trainee nurse, and getting her hooked on drugs, but those were already established in the first game (well, maybe not the seducing nurses thing, but the whole using Lisa and being involved with drugs thing). What examples did you find of him coming across as "evil", KiramidHead?
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I'm thinking about the last cut scene in particular, where he gives a speech and releases gas by snapping his fingers. That makes him seem more of a bond villain to me than anything like the guy from the first game. Once again, the tone of voice he generally uses and the sneer he always has on his face make him into a stereotypical villain.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

*runs off to YouTube*
I didn't see him snap his fingers, but he did have a cocky smile on his face. :? Hmm...
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

If he did snap his fingers or anything, then he was signalling the other cultists in the room.

But yea he's a drug-pushing rapist who worked to summon what is essentially the DEVIL as far as he knows. That's pretty stereotypically evil, and the only reason you might be inclined to feel otherwise is because he turns on Dahlia in the first game, but his only motivation to do so is to preserve his profits (which are based on drug markets and sexually abusing young girls).
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

Ok, it took me a minute to think about what you were talking about. You mean like in the first game he's just a dick, and then in Origins he's a little bit more cliche? Because I can kinda see that.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

^That's exactly what I meant. He just seemed like a normal dick in SH1, here he's got a smug smile and appears to be doing everything for the evulz.
TheLakesidePyramid
Just Passing Through

Post by TheLakesidePyramid »

Yeah, I noticed that too! Like in the
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Motel Cutscene where Travis finds Lisa and Kaufmann redressing
After he tells Travis to 'leave town' or 'try harder' or something like that, his face just looks evil, with those dark circles under his eyes. I CALL EVIL! :twisted: And also, does Kaufmann have a British accent or something? Not trying to sound raciest, but if it's not British or something what is it? Like in the
Hospital Cutscene
R.I.P Harry Mason, the man who loved his daughter so much, he didn't care what they put in his way.
If I seem stupid all of a sudden (using slang and posting theories from stupid places,) it's not me!!
Shadow
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Shadow »

By some strange coincidence, look what I had sitting around my TiyPic account:

Anyway, I agree that in Silent Hill 0 Kaufmann was really off the rails. Even in the hospital where he goes off his behaviour just screams 'evil'. And though I haven't played the game in two months, I wouldn't be surprised if Kaufmann had a British accent, since us Brits always make great Hollywood villains!
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

The biggest problem with Neo-Kaufmann is that he has a new voice actor who doesn't sound anywhere near as awesome as the original. Whereas Neo-Kaufmann was designed to be menacing and sinister, Original Kaufmann was not, yet Original Kaufmann was more menacing and sinister anyway because he had that gravelly voice and didn't waste his time trying to act devious. He gives you a simple cover story and then spends the rest of the game sounding either authoritative or pissed-off.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Now that I think of it, none of the SH1 characters were handled very well. They all slip in and out of the game and have barely any effect on anything. Hell, Dahlia only shows up a few times, and does pretty much nothing relevant.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Well, in defense to Origins Kauffman:

The Order's plan is going well and the birth of God is just a couple of hours away, the man will get his reward of power very soon and just a filthy truck driver in in your path of glory... I bet Mike was really happy in that day so he allowed himself to act like he really is; a really bad boy...

In SH1 everything went to shit, the Order promised Kauffman that he finally would get his reward after 7 years but instead that kauffman ends in a weird, silent and foggy world with creatures attacking him... He feels angry and betrayed and the Order people doesn't seem to be anywhere...

The people can act in different ways in different situations; it's the same case with Lisa, in 0rigins she is happy getting paid for fooling Travis, having fun with the hospital director and getting good drugs for free so Everything is perfect... In SH1 she is trapped in a dark hospital room without being able to get out, she just hears the weird moans of other people that try to open her door and she has no drugs left...

By the way, I lvoe the "Try harder" line, Kauffman was a badass and an asshole at the same time...
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

KiramidHead wrote:Hell, Dahlia only shows up a few times, and does pretty much nothing relevant.
She's totally important. The Plot Railroad goes nowhere until Dahlia starts conducting the train.

For that matter, Eddie and Angela are both entirely irrelevant to James' quest. Neither of them help James in any way. Neither tell him where to go, reveal anything about his problems he doesn't eventually figure out on his own, or give him anything he needs to progress. They're just a sideshow, if you get right down to it. Dahlia does all of these things.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>The Order's plan is going well and the birth of God is just a couple of hours away<
The impregnation ritual is taking place, not the birthing ritual.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

I thought the impregnation rithual was the one at Gillespie House with the fire...

Hmmm... How long is the pregnancy of god?
Last edited by KageReneko on 05 Apr 2011, edited 1 time in total.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Oh, right. That was another problem I had with Silent Hill: Origins.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

KageReneko wrote:I thought the impregnation rithual was the one at Gillespie House with the fire...
It was supposed to be. Origins kinda messed up a few details that were established in the first game.

*shifty eyes*
I still liked it.......
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I'm thinking I've found a way to reconcile this. Alessa was supposed to birth God at the fire, but Travis pulled her out before the ritual could conclude. The business in the other church is only necessary because of Travis's intervention.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

Well, it was seven years before one and he went through a lot of crap with the cult. He could have changed. I like it, actually.

In Origins he was a smooth talking a-hole, and in sh1 he's a gruff a-hole.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

^That is possible. I'm actually considering writing a fan fic telling events from his pov, but that will require a bit of planning. Of course, I could write Stephen King style and just write it, but I don't trust my stream of consciousness to produce anything vaguely coherent.