When Will This Take Place???

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

RecurringNightmare

When Will This Take Place???

Post by RecurringNightmare »

ok so we know this is a prequel to the entire series, supposedly shedding some light on "how it all began"...

my question is this.. when exactly will this take place?

judging from the trailers, from the old movie theatre to the very classic style houses, the setting clearly looks as if it is around the late 1800's to early 1900's...the town looks completely different, as if it is fresher, cleaner, NEWER, maybe only recently abandoned.. you dont see run down buildings.. everything looks brand new like in the history books.. the only evidence against that is the scene of the truck that the main character is driving... but that alone is not enough to dismiss this thought, since we simply dont know the story yet...

looking back at the history of the town, a mysterious epidemic broke out in the early 1700's, abandoning the town.. now i seriously doubt this will take place WAY back in the 1700's.. 100 years later the town was resettled as a penal colony and got the name "Silent Hill"..

a coal mine (Wiltse Coal Mine) revitalizes the town then the Civil War starts, where Patrick Chester and his son both residents participate in the war (statue of Chester is at Rosewater Park i believe)... Toluca Prison Camp is built for the POWs then later becomes Toluca Prison...

shortly after people start disappearing all over town and Silent Hill ends up becoming nothing more than a resort town...

early-mid 1900's the ship Little Baroness goes missing shortly before "strange events" occur at Toluca Lake..

Silent Hill's Mayor dies suddenly and a development group staff die one after another "accidentally"...

the question is how far back is this story going and which of these events will be further explained to us...

all theories, thoughts and feedback welcome.
Whoomp
Gravedigger

Post by Whoomp »

I think that It will occur about 3 years before silent hill because of what you mentioned the freshness of the town like it has recently been abandoned, and in the other games some places have almoast rusted to breaking point (excuse me for that comment I couldn't formulate me so well, not here either ^^)
Fatal_Sims
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Fatal_Sims »

It starts when Alessa's nightmares turn into a reality. I don't remember when this exactly happens, but we will get to see Silent Hill during the time Alessa's nightmare comes to reality.
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

>the setting clearly looks as if it is around the late 1800's to early 1900's
I don't think so, judging by the truck the main character was driving. They didn't have trucks like that back then.

I would guess just a few years before SH1, but why and what's occurring at this time remains to be seen.
Under the burning sun I take a look around
Imagine if this all came down
Iamthebastard
Just Passing Through

Post by Iamthebastard »

By judging from the truck and the clothes worn by the trucker, I'd say 1980-present.
Sand is overrated...It's just tiny little rocks.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>It starts when Alessa's nightmares turn into a reality.
If that's the case, then 1976, when she's immolated for God, "births" Cheryl, and is hospitalized. She had powers before that--the ability to kill by wishing it, for example--but they weren't a "nightmare turn'd reality." Dahlia says it herself: "For seven years Alessa has been trapped in an endless nightmare from which she never awakens."

So. If this new team knows what they're doing, it'll be set in or around 1976.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

St. Thomas wrote: So. If this new team knows what they're doing, it'll be set in or around 1976.
heh , yea from what I saw in the interview these people may "not know"
RecurringNightmare

Fatal_Sims wrote:It starts when Alessa's nightmares turn into a reality. I don't remember when this exactly happens, but we will get to see Silent Hill during the time Alessa's nightmare comes to reality.
but looking at the timeline i posted, everything did not start with Alessa... and i think the Alessa story is almost played out hopefully they are going to make a new story like in SH2 but dealing with something new..

yes i understand there were no trucks like that back then which is why i said the truck and character's apparel right now is the only evidence against it but not enough to dismiss the thought... for all we know the game could START in recent years with the driver somehow going "back" in time, way back.. i know its early production but did you notice there were NO cars in the street whatsoever... unless they have not been added yet... and the cemetery is NOT the same one from SH2.. do we know of another cemetery in Silent Hill other than the one from SH2 where James first meets Angela and the small one in the Labyrinth that only has a handful of graves? its possible that cemetery in the trailer is somehow related to the people disappearing from the town.. while it was stated there will be characters making an appearance from previous games.. 2 characters that were mentioned were Dr. Michael Kaufman and Dahlia Gillespie.. whether or not they play a significant part in the story remains to be seen... i want to know what happened when people started disappearing all over town.. this happened before Alessa.. Alessa is not the sole cause and effect of Silent Hill and its horror dont let the movie dictate the entire plot of the town.. origins (or original sin which i saw is an alternative name they might be considering) means the "rise, beginning or derivation from a source..ancestry.." and the name is mainly what got me questioning the time this game will take place since ORIGIN is such a strong implication that this MAY go way back to the beginning, to the SOURCE...
Chris Sunderland
Historical Society Historian

Post by Chris Sunderland »

The game will probably be in the late 60's early 70's. I don't think this game will deal with Alessa though. The producer said that while the game has events that set things up for the future, the story is of Travis. I think it will be in the same vain as SH4.
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/2iqehhj.jpg[/img]
Krysta

Post by Krysta »

no matter what age it will bring , the title and developers claiming that we will know everything about 'what' and 'why' it all happend
RecurringNightmare

KRYSTA-GG- wrote:no matter what age it will bring , the title and developers claiming that we will know everything about 'what' and 'why' it all happend
yes i heard that and that is exactly why i posted information on the events in SH according to their timeline in my initial post... all we can do now is play the guessing game until we find out more....
sh#1fan
Historical Society Historian

Post by sh#1fan »

St. Thomas wrote:So. If this new team knows what they're doing
LMAO :D

From the looks of it I would have to say there noobs. For one thing there putting stuff that was only in the silent hill movie and putting it in the game.
Plus they claim there going to explain how it all happend..... :?

Oh well im still going to get the game lmao.

On topic note~
From the clothes and the truck, it looks like it will take place somwhere between the 70's-80's and possibly even going back to the 60's,BUT if what people are saying is true that it takes place when alessas nightmares come to life that would be 7 or 8 years before 1998. So 1990 would be when the game takes place.
oO?
Droo

Post by Droo »

No, Silent Hill 1 took place in 1983.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Fatal_Sims
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Fatal_Sims »

RecurringNightmare wrote:
Fatal_Sims wrote:It starts when Alessa's nightmares turn into a reality. I don't remember when this exactly happens, but we will get to see Silent Hill during the time Alessa's nightmare comes to reality.
but looking at the timeline i posted, everything did not start with Alessa... and i think the Alessa story is almost played out hopefully they are going to make a new story like in SH2 but dealing with something new..

yes i understand there were no trucks like that back then which is why i said the truck and character's apparel right now is the only evidence against it but not enough to dismiss the thought... for all we know the game could START in recent years with the driver somehow going "back" in time, way back.. i know its early production but did you notice there were NO cars in the street whatsoever... unless they have not been added yet... and the cemetery is NOT the same one from SH2.. do we know of another cemetery in Silent Hill other than the one from SH2 where James first meets Angela and the small one in the Labyrinth that only has a handful of graves? its possible that cemetery in the trailer is somehow related to the people disappearing from the town.. while it was stated there will be characters making an appearance from previous games.. 2 characters that were mentioned were Dr. Michael Kaufman and Dahlia Gillespie.. whether or not they play a significant part in the story remains to be seen... i want to know what happened when people started disappearing all over town.. this happened before Alessa.. Alessa is not the sole cause and effect of Silent Hill and its horror dont let the movie dictate the entire plot of the town.. origins (or original sin which i saw is an alternative name they might be considering) means the "rise, beginning or derivation from a source..ancestry.." and the name is mainly what got me questioning the time this game will take place since ORIGIN is such a strong implication that this MAY go way back to the beginning, to the SOURCE...
Read William's interviews. He confirmed it there.
Varg6

Post by Varg6 »

Fatal_Sims wrote:
RecurringNightmare wrote:

Read William's interviews. He confirmed it there.
I want to see this interview, is there a link?
Det Som Engang Var...
Fatal_Sims
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Fatal_Sims »

^^ I'm still searching for it. I remember reading it... but I might be delusional. I'll check the other forums... Maybe I found the link there.
Varg6

Post by Varg6 »

okey dokey, just find it!!!! :D
Det Som Engang Var...
Silent_voice
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Silent_voice »

St. Thomas wrote:>It starts when Alessa's nightmares turn into a reality.
If that's the case, then 1976, when she's immolated for God, "births" Cheryl, and is hospitalized. She had powers before that--the ability to kill by wishing it, for example--but they weren't a "nightmare turn'd reality." Dahlia says it herself: "For seven years Alessa has been trapped in an endless nightmare from which she never awakens."

So. If this new team knows what they're doing, it'll be set in or around 1976.
Bottom line is that this game takes place just shortly after that fire broke out. Also, we don't know what years these games takes place. These years are only assumed? Are they? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Because until Silent Hill 3 came out. I always thought that Silent Hill's 1 and 2 took place in the present (Silent Hill 1 taking place in 1999, and Silent Hill 2 taking place in 2001). But then Silent Hill takes place 17 years after the first game, and that game clearly doesn't take place in the future.

AWWW!! This is all so confusing!
http://www.blogofshadowsandmirrors.blogspot.com
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>This is all so confusing!
No it's not. Not if you do your research. Fortunately I've done it for you: The Timeline.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.