Is This Game Killing Silent Hill?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Is This Game Killing The Silent Hill Franchise?

Poll ended at 29 Jan 2010

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes: 142

AdamMosh
Just Passing Through

Re: Is This Game Killing Silent Hill?

Post by AdamMosh »

of course SM is killing the series because the team involved on this one instead of giving a true deep psychological horror they gave us a lot of psychological profile crap delivering every piece of information so there's no room for reflexion or interesting doubt.One more thing they disrespected the iconic Harry Mason character by turning it into a Cheryl's illusion.
death is in my blood
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Post by Typographenia »

AdamMosh wrote:...they gave us a lot of psychological profile crap delivering every piece of information so there's no room for reflexion or interesting doubt.
What are you talking about? Do you mean to tell me the various threads and discussions in this section for Shattered Memories doesn't touch on the vague areas and interpretations of material within the game? That would only make sense if it were coming from some diehard fan of the origi-
AdamMosh wrote:One more thing they disrespected the iconic Harry Mason character by turning it into a Cheryl's illusion.
...ok.
Axiomatic
Just Passing Through

Post by Axiomatic »

AdamMosh wrote:of course SM is killing the series because the team involved on this one instead of giving a true deep psychological horror they gave us a lot of psychological profile crap delivering every piece of information so there's no room for reflexion or interesting doubt.One more thing they disrespected the iconic Harry Mason character by turning it into a Cheryl's illusion.
Well, the psychological profiles are a mechanism that contributes to the ENTIRE gaming experience. It's not just some silly, superfluous thing that doesn't contribute/mean anything to the game.
Typographenia wrote:What are you talking about? Do you mean to tell me the various threads and discussions in this section for Shattered Memories doesn't touch on the vague areas and interpretations of material within the game? That would only make sense if it were coming from some diehard fan of the origi-
^ This. Typographenia said it better than I can. There are plenty of vague areas and, because of this, people debate the meanings of what's really going on in the game. Also, since there's plenty to be interpreted, this runs counter to your claim, AdamMosh, that the game spoonfeeds you.

As far as disrespecting Mason, I don't think that's true. This game adds to the series I think, and it accomplishes this by exploring the aftermath of someone's death and the effects of death on a person - many years later.
Dutchman
Gravedigger

Post by Dutchman »

Just like every experience is subjective, so can psychological horror. What one preceives as creepy and disturbing, someone else can find it merely entertaining or dull.

Harry is not a dillusion, it's a memory. An idealized memory of Cheryl about her father. As wel all know, most of our memories are unrelieable when tested on accuracy and they are heavily drawing on the experienced emotions of that time. With Cheryl it has influenced her life greatly to a point that she has to come to terms with the current situation if she wants to move one with her life.

I believe that this character was not disrespected, if not, I have more respect and I'm more impressed by Harry's resolve to find his daughter. But again, this comes down to personal taste. Like the way some characters of classic stories can be reinterpreted, I believes that this applies to Silent Hill as well. You have to admit that the Harry of the original SH was some kind of superman considering he survived the whole ordeal without a scratch.

SM broke the tradition that was set in the first game and gave us a quest inside Cherly's memories from the perspective of Harry. Of course, most of these conculsions fall into place after you've finished the game.

Also the way subtle nods and references to the original and other installments are spread throughout SM is an indication for me that they indeed respected the original and put a lot of thought into this game.
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/Ghoul68/banner_shh_4.png[/img]
Redklok
Just Passing Through

Post by Redklok »

It was worth checking it out. I wasn't scared or intrigued like I was with part 1 to 4, but I enjoyed the story and surroundings. I was lucky my parents wanted a Wii otherwise wouldn't have the possibility to check this game out. 20 euro's well spent for a decent game.

I wouldn't call this a horror game though, more psychological thriller or drama.

This game is a far better enrichment for the series then Homecoming was, because they actually dared to do something completely different this time around.
DirtyNorris
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by DirtyNorris »

I've always thought that the series forges a connection between the player and the protagonist by making the player feel like the character. James is scared and disgusted- and SH2 sets you up to feel the same way.
Shattered Memories didn't scare or disgust me unfortunately, but I felt connected to Harry nonetheless. His suffering from amnesia ties in perfectly with the game toying with the expectations of SH1 fans. In fact, while the story can definitely stand alone, I think the entire plot has the Silent Hill fandom in mind- and I'm not just talking superficial references.

I thought the shiny new bespectacled Harry Mason was partly in answer to our near idolisation of SH1's Harry as a perfect father. Same basic thing with our love of Lisa and Cybil. The heroes of the first game are pretty archetypal- I mean, I feel pretty comfortable calling the protagonist of a Silent Hill game a hero- doesn't that say something? Climax took those characters and our history with them, and gave us a colder, bleaker look at who they would be in reality. I never saw the use of SH1's characters names as a frivolous marketing thing - the safe stock heroes were torn down Watchmen style to give us the same sense of disappointment Cheryl felt with her reality.
[img]http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac241/DirtyNorris/o0p1cpjpg.png[/img]
MaverickT16
Just Passing Through

Post by MaverickT16 »

I see Shattered Memories as breathing new life back into the series. People were always asking to involve less of the cult in the games and that is what Climax gave us.
Climax took those characters and our history with them, and gave us a colder, bleaker look at who they would be in reality. I never saw the use of SH1's characters names as a frivolous marketing thing - the safe stock heroes were torn down Watchmen style to give us the same sense of disappointment Cheryl felt with her reality.
I totally agree with this. I see it as Climax's interpretation of the characters and how they could work in a new story. After all, they still follow the same basic archetypes.

The game, as I see it, is a very interesting "What If?" scenario.
"Every time you exhale, a little bit of your soul escapes. Luckily, you almost always inhale it back before anyone else gets it. Almost.
Ever fogged up a mirror with your breath?
Don't do that."
Dr-G0nz0
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr-G0nz0 »

Personally, it isn't Silent Hill. But I wouldn't say it was 'killing' the series.

I always found this game to be an experiment; it's the game that turned the series on its head and tried to not only push the series forward, but move the horror genre a step forward. The result is somethings work and somethings don't. For instance, the game really pushed the boundries of the Wii in everyway: using every feature at its disposal, but due to the motion control never being that good to begin with on the Wii, it can be hella' frustrating do things with the remote, like shaking off a monster....

Basically, while I don't really liked a lot with SM it was an essential evolution for the series. Downpour took the right bits out of SM. And without them ideas from SM we wouldn't have half the gameplay in DP.
"Oh, you think darkness is your ally. You merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING! " -Bane
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Dr-G0nz0 wrote:Basically, while I don't really liked a lot with SM it was an essential evolution for the series. Downpour took the right bits out of SM. And without them ideas from SM we wouldn't have half the gameplay in DP.
Unfortunately the parts it took from SM were the worst parts of Downpour.
Dr-G0nz0
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr-G0nz0 »

Tillerman wrote:
Dr-G0nz0 wrote:Basically, while I don't really liked a lot with SM it was an essential evolution for the series. Downpour took the right bits out of SM. And without them ideas from SM we wouldn't have half the gameplay in DP.
Unfortunately the parts it took from SM were the worst parts of Downpour.
Your opinion mate. lol I found the chase sequences enjoyable. And they did make it less annoying in DP because there was no stupid monsters jumping on your back while you waved your arms around like an idiot trying to get them off because the motion control didn't work. But there was little touches that DP took from SM aswell as the obvious.
"Oh, you think darkness is your ally. You merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING! " -Bane
HeresJohnny
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re:

Post by HeresJohnny »

Nillin wrote:The sheer amount of information available by simply typing "plot guide" into Google should seriously alleviate that. Besides, the only game that doesn't spell out the important details is the first game. The others are pretty good at telling you EVERYTHING (I'm looking at you, 3 and Homecoming.)

There are even members in this community that are saying that this game is the best since two and I think I trust them more than some Gamefaqtard.

I don't think a different style or story is going to kill the series. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Homecoming and Origins, while not bad, were kind of stale. We need a change, even if it is as drastic as you're making it sound.
I completely agree. Now that I have inadvertently inherited a wii I am finally able to play through shattered memories and although far from perfect I can certainly appreciate the change it brings. It's like a topic I created ages ago on this forum about a Silent Hill game without a weapon ;)
Pastucci
Just Passing Through

Post by Pastucci »

I personally loved SM, it brought back that Silent Hill-esque environment that Homecoming and Downpour departed from.

PLUS it added a much needed exploration that really tied you in, the characters were likable,
and obviously the music was quite good in my opinion.

Plus, the replayability was high.

Homecoming and DP were more action oriented, especially DP.
Heaven's Night
<3
Chris Sunderland
Historical Society Historian

Post by Chris Sunderland »

Great game. Probably the best story SH2 aside, it lacked many of the philosophical style psychological elements and was more straight up psychological like a thriller.which was fine, it was interesting and it's own canon and did something wtith the property besides being poor man's Silent Hill 2. It was a great take and in an alternate world we got SHSM2 or a Climax main canon game.
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/2iqehhj.jpg[/img]