Dr. K = Kaufmann?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

_Drake_
Hope House Careworker

Post by _Drake_ »

Well, We've got that settled, its a new character,
Here's hoping Kaufmann is still in the game.

~Drake

"Oh it get's to me alright" - Vincent
My Silent Hill Fanfic, Silent Hill: Spiritual Dissonance
Droo

Post by Droo »

MMY wrote:>*strangles you*
I have a feeling Droo forgot K. Gordon.
....no? Because I had just made a reference to K. Gordon?
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
nicole84
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by nicole84 »

Oooops, sorry, I should have been more specific. My bad. :P But yes, that's what I wanted you to look at. It seems to me unlikely that Kaufman should be in the game. Maybe this psychiatrist took his place. But we'll see what we'll see.
StaticRadio
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by StaticRadio »

Harvey Keitel nothin'....look at that chin! It looks more like a certain man-god from Michigan known as Bruce Campbell. To me, anyway. That was unimportant, for sure, buy I have to call it when I think there's a Campbell sighting.
"Just because you're paranoid...don't mean they're not after you"
Viruscarrier
Just Passing Through

Post by Viruscarrier »

I think that the website got it wrong. The articles says "Dr. K asks us" not "Dr. Kasks us".
FiliusMartis
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FiliusMartis »

Without starting a huge debate, I'd like to point out that according to a memo found in Origins Dr. Kaufmann is the one who interviews/questions/evaluates Alessa when her teacher becomes concerned about her. Remember that he concludes her ideas about cults and rituals are simply fantasies born from too many fairy tales so this could simply be the cult stepping in to avoid interference, but it suggests that Kaufmann may have some sort of psychiatric training or some sort of credentials that otherwise authorize him to perform what would likely amount to a psych exam.
Loveless_Dogg
Historical Society Historian

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

From my knowledge, (I could be wrong) All Med students spend at least the first 3 years of getting their medical license studying Psychology.
Value your failures more than your successes. Successes only last until someone screws them up. Failures are forever. She left...and...I'm lost.
FiliusMartis
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FiliusMartis »

I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. The first year is primarily anatomical and biochemical studies of the human body; the second focuses on diseases and treatments. Specializations usually kick in during years three and four when electives become available. Most pre-med programs do not require psychology, but many encourage it. Still there's no reason to believe Kaufmann couldn't be a practicing psychiatrist. Someone who has completed studies in a specialty can, of course, return to general practice if he so chooses.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

FiliusMartis wrote:Without starting a huge debate, I'd like to point out that according to a memo found in Origins Dr. Kaufmann is the one who interviews/questions/evaluates Alessa when her teacher becomes concerned about her. Remember that he concludes her ideas about cults and rituals are simply fantasies born from too many fairy tales so this could simply be the cult stepping in to avoid interference, but it suggests that Kaufmann may have some sort of psychiatric training or some sort of credentials that otherwise authorize him to perform what would likely amount to a psych exam.
That's a good point: an excellent one, in fact. It's funny that we've been comparing Shattered Memories to the original game only. As Origins is made by Climax as well, there's nothing stopping them from using elements from that game.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
Loveless_Dogg

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

FiliusMartis wrote:Most pre-med programs do not require psychology, but many encourage it. Still there's no reason to believe Kaufmann couldn't be a practicing psychiatrist. Someone who has completed studies in a specialty can, of course, return to general practice if he so chooses.
That's what I figured, but like you said, I don't see the reason why Kaufman wouldn't have gone through with studying a bit of that field. Especially with Silent Hill being as small as it is. However, If I had to guess I would have to say that he more than likely isn't even from Silent Hill Originally. At least that's my initial thought.
_Drake_
Hope House Careworker

Post by _Drake_ »

Yeah, he's what? 50 in Silent Hill?
I'm sure if he did originate from the town, he'd had known what Dahlia was planning, what with the Order being the religion in those parts.

~Drake

Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

>Especially with Silent Hill being as small as it is.
Still, they seem to have enough patients to run 2 huge hospitals and a giant sanitarium.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Loveless_Dogg

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

Jonipoon wrote:>Especially with Silent Hill being as small as it is.
Still, they seem to have enough patients to run 2 huge hospitals and a giant sanitarium.
Yeah....my home town is only slightly bigger and we have two huge hospitals and a number of sanitariums. And none of them are ever full at any given time.
_Drake_
Hope House Careworker

Post by _Drake_ »

So, let's just hope that Kaufmann is in the game and won't be to drastically altered.

~Drake

Utsushimi

Post by Utsushimi »

Maybe Dr.K was another one of the doctors with Dahlia and Kaufman, the part where they say about the other half is lost blablabla