The Soundtrack Discussion Thread

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

The Soundtrack Discussion Thread

Post by DamienPales »

Akira Yamaoka is going to be doing his usual soundtrack for this game, as he has done for seemingly forever now. While I'm sure he intends to compose some new material for this game, he never made it clear whether all the music was going to be brand new. Maybe I'm just a stickler for the SH1 soundtrack since I love it so much, but I'm holding out hope that maybe Yamaoka is going to remix some of the old tunes into Shattered Memories.

If he does, what songs from the first game should he carry over? I'd personally really like to hear a re-imagining of the titular intro song, similar to what he did with SH2 and "Theme of Laura." "Claw Finger" and "Fear of the Dark" were also songs that seemed overtly minimalistic and would sound incredible with more layers to them...similar to a Silent Hill 3-type track. As per the industrial tracks, Silent Hill games have been depending less and less on them recently, and I found them to be really important to the overall mood and atmosphere of the first game, which is probably why I haven't been finding the recent games altogether terrifying (though Homecoming made me strangely uncomfortable).
Bishop Sasarai
Historical Society Historian

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

"She" should definitely be carried over. I loved it from the day I saw the 1998 E3 trailer. It's brilliant.

I don't really remember any of the other tracks, but it's been about eight years since I played it.
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.
Droo

Post by Droo »

The Silent Hill Main Theme obviously needs to stay. Also, Not Tomorrow needs to stay if Lisa's death remains in the game.

I think Yamaoka should just reproduce a number of the tracks from SH1 rather than remix. We've seen what happens when he puts on his Remix Hat with the Bonus SH4 soundtrack, and the results were just strange.

If Yamaoka can compose any new tracks along the line of Origins rather than Homecoming/The Room/SH3 I think that would suit this remake better. SH1 was not about alternative vocal rock pieces and strange techno. It was about ambience, which I think the Origins soundtrack captured better than any SH soundtrack in recent memory.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
DarkMatter
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by DarkMatter »

I'm hoping they pull a Rresident Evil Remake. Just reproduce the soundtrack with better quality.
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

I don't know, now that I put some thought into it...

Industrial tracks would not suit an icy Otherworld very well. Ice seems to me to evoke loneliness and depression, so maybe the tracks shouldn't be as angry and oppressing as Silent Hill 1's were. I'm not saying he should compose music like the kind at "Phendrana Drifts" (Metroid Prime), but maybe something along the lines of "Breeze - In Monochrome Night". That song always made me feel cold.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Tracks like Fear Of The Dark evoke a certain chilly mood.

Industrial tracks will fit just fine with ice, I think. The industrial stuff is to create a sense of urgent panic with monsters after you, and it sounds like relentless pursuit is going to be the theme of this game. Maybe some crystal-synth or more treble-based industrial sounds rather than bassy industrial sounds will help to evoke the ice theme.
Lives in the mirror"
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Esperandote MUST be there... I love that song and I was really surprised the first time that I finished SH (Bad ending off course) and got this song in my language... The song is so sad... I just love it...

I hope they keep the song intact with the tango music...
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

I'd like to see Silent Hill (Otherside) kept in, just because it makes me smile.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Silent Hill Bloopers!! If they remove them I'll kill them!!
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

DamienPales wrote:I'm not saying he should compose music like the kind at "Phendrana Drifts" (Metroid Prime), but maybe something along the lines of "Breeze - In Monochrome Night". That song always made me feel cold.
The MP soundtracks were brilliant. Phendrana Drifts was one of my favorites. Also, Breeze is hands down my favorite track on the SH3 OST. Bringing elements of that into the Icy Otherworld themes would be a good idea. It still has to be haunting though.

Overall, I'd like to see some reimagining of the SH1 OST. Keep the Silent Hill theme like it is. Bring over She, Not Tomorrow, I always liked Tears Of... as well. Maybe remix some of the other tracks, and give us some new stuff.
Under the burning sun I take a look around
Imagine if this all came down
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

The MP soundtracks were brilliant. Phendrana Drifts was one of my favorites.
Oh don't get me started on the Metroid Prime soundtrack..."Phendrana Drifts" is one of my favorite video game songs ever. Why is ice/water music in video games always so awesome?
Xev

Post by Xev »

Even though I have never gotten to play the first game I have the soundtrack.

Id like to see Far, Down Time, and especially Tears of..., and otherside
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

He should take a page of out Chris Vrenna's composition book, IMO--a lot of Vrenna's songs from American McGee's Alice are reminiscent of 'icy' areas, or lonesomeness.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Lostkitsune
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Lostkitsune »

I believe as some of you have stated,that they should pull a REmake and just use the original OST with a higher quality.
Also:
Krist. wrote:He should take a page of out Chris Vrenna's composition book, IMO--a lot of Vrenna's songs from American McGee's Alice are reminiscent of 'icy' areas, or lonesomeness.
I agree, American Mcgee's Alice makes me feel very cold while playing it.
verychillyicemilk
Hope House Careworker

Post by verychillyicemilk »

I agree explicitly with what Droo said, in at least those two tracks he mentioned being carried over, and the adding of crystal-synths etc. to invoke an icy feel. Thinking about it, I can't get the Freezeezy Peak theme from Banjo-Kazooie out of my head. Legendary game. Legendary music.
https://soundcloud.com/conor_hedley
http://conor-hedley.tumblr.com/
Martee
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Martee »

I'd like to see 'Killing Time' make a return, possibly without the weird record player sound on it this time.
I'd also love to hear 'Ain't Gonna Rain' blasting out of my TV as I run away from monsters while shitting myself, lol
My supply fell through...
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

I think Silent Hill Theme should %100 be carried over, though am not sure if i would want anyone to remix it... not that I am planningon playing the game anyway. Also Claw Finger and She should be brought forward.

I would love to hear Claw Finger remixed, possibly made much more symphonetically, an acustic, orcestral version. That would be throughly awesome. : D

And She is fabulous. I don't really want that one to be changed.
Sake
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Sake »

Keep and/or remix some of the old tracks, and add some new ones as well. That's what I think will happen.
_Drake_
Hope House Careworker

Post by _Drake_ »

Keep the well known Tracks (Silent Hill, She, Claw finger, not tomorrow 1, etc)
put in Silent Hill's remix "Home Town" from Silent Hill 3, and add new tracks (Including some Vocal tracks)

~Drake

"Oh it get's to me alright" - Vincent
My Silent Hill Fanfic, Silent Hill: Spiritual Dissonance
Droo

Post by Droo »

Hometown is godawful. It's either the Main Theme, without alteration, or something new.
Lives in the mirror"