The Soundtrack Discussion Thread

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

All the songs are fairly general. That's not the point. I was merely addressing the point that the song had no place in SH3, which I don't agree with. I do think it could be Heather singing it to her dad, that's not unreasonable to claim. It's not necessarily about sexual love.
Alessandro
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Alessandro »

I find Heather calling her father "baby" slightly unconvincing and mildly unnerving. Comparing him, also, to an addiction is absurd. And, finally, Heather would certainly not "be fine on [her] own" if Harry "hadn't met [her]." In fact, she wouldn't exist.

I always thought it was HARRY singing it to Heather/Cheryl.
:o
Droo

Post by Droo »

You know, listening to it again, it does seem like it could be Harry singing to Heather. Then again, the whole "addicted to you" thing has some unnerving sexual undertones.

It seems like it could be flipping back and forth between Cheryl and Heather.

"Blue skies to forever, the green grass blows in the wind, dancing/it would be a much better sight/with you/with me" seems to relate to Harry being out of Foggy/Alternate Silent Hill and back in the real world, with blue skies and green grass. But, he's also missing Cheryl. And, he is feeling that as horrible as it may sound, if he had never met Cheryl he would have been fine on his own.

After Mrs. Mason dies, Cheryl becomes his whole life. He is addicted to her, and once she dies his body aches with mourning, despite baby Heather.

The prechorus then seems to deal with Harry's self-loathing related to his admitted distrust and buried resentment of the Alessa part of Heather. She gladly gives him everything and craves his happiness and feels good when she makes him feel joy. He still misses his Cheryl, and is grappling with the complex insanity of knowing Heather is Cheryl, but Cheryl is also Alessa. "Love was never meant to be such a crazy affair." Also, he has The Order still after him, and needs to protect her, so he doesn't have time for tears.

And then, despite his lifelong hidden resentment of Heather, when he is attacked by Claudia and the Missionary and is killed, he cries for her love, which he never really thought he would do, until now. Now being his death.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Alessandro
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Alessandro »

^ Yeah, that was what I thought too, though I didnt know how to explain it.

The addiction... I think it can mean how a person might be your whole world- so to speak. Heather/Cheryl was.

EDIT: i think the... never thought id sit around and grovel your love... until now...
might mean Harry came to accept Heather as his daughter or whatnot.
Droo

Post by Droo »

It's "cry for", not "grovel". Grovel your love makes no sense in a sentence.
Lives in the mirror"
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

See? Songs are all about interpretation, so the lyrics are supposed to be ambiguous and cryptic.

Am I the only one who thought Tender Sugar was about Lisa?
Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

From the other hand Homecoming OST song lyrics preety accurate were spoiling some plot details.
Alessandro
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Alessandro »

It's "cry for", not "grovel". Grovel your love makes no sense in a sentence.
lol yeah i havent slept much xD

whatever though.

i havent heard any of the other songs
Droo

Post by Droo »

Why would Tender Sugar, a song from Silent Hill 4, have anything to do with Lisa, a character who is not in any way shape or form connected to the game?

It's clearly about Walter.
Lives in the mirror"
Alessandro
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Alessandro »

Why would Tender Sugar, a song from Silent Hill 4, have anything to do with Lisa, a character who is not in any way shape or form connected to the game?

THat.
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

Yeah, it does fit Walter more than Lisa. I just keep thinking of the drug that Lisa took, and how it drove her bonkers. Thus, the "sweet sugar" stuff.

I'm bad at visualizing the protagonist of a song being a man when a woman is singing...
Droo

Post by Droo »

But you just agreed with my analysis of You're Not Here sung by Mary McGlynn as being Harry's POV.
Lives in the mirror"
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

Kind of. I still interpret it as being Heather singing to Harry, but I agree that your explanation makes sense as well. I'm not disagreeing with you about the Walter thing either, I just never thought of it that way before for some bizarre reason.

That being said, my major point was that "You're Not Here" fits into SH3, and is not as irrelevant as you had said. Even though you interpret it as being Harry singing to Cheryl, you seem to agree that it is relevant after all. That's all I wanted to convey, even if you went on your own little journey of discovery.
Alessandro
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Alessandro »

I'm bad at visualizing the protagonist of a song being a man when a woman is singing...
Yeah... me too.

I guess you just have to give it some though, I guess.