Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 20 Sep 2018

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Fight or Flight?
Fight! 29%  29%  [ 37 ]
Flight! 29%  29%  [ 38 ]
Either 42%  42%  [ 54 ]
Total votes : 129

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5077
phix95 wrote:
Interesting experiment and good idea to try that.
But in your case, it kinda re-iterates what my fear is for LM...you can't go to many places more than once for fear of being hacked into pieces; and probably--thus--you can't save very much for the same reason. I too, like to save after anything major. Being not able to do so is just frustrating, not scary.
I guess that it seems, in this case, that your exploration is very limited b/c of fear of all the monsters around, almost getting in the way. I like to explore every pixel if I can...also, that lets you find more items. It lets me be totally engrossed in the environment, instead of just doing A to get to B to unlock C as fast as possible. I know I mentioned this before, so sorry if I'm re-hashing things. I just hope the devs have a way for you to be able to go everywhere w/out fear of constantly being clobbered.

It's been quite eye-opening, especially in its paradoxical nature.

Contrary to how I thought it'd be, there hasn't been that much straight bolting, so far. Actually, the few times I just let terror take over and bolt were the times that I got mauled. More often than that, I'd be noting patterns with my flashlight off and taking chances while the enemy wasn't looking, holding down R2 because Heather sneaks when that button's pressed.

Also, while I go from point A to point B quickly in the hallways, I notice I've been looking around the empty rooms more thoroughly, partly because I want a breather before I go outside again. It was in this playthrough that I decided to look up the Revolt of the Tirn Aill, which I never cared to look at or consider before, or try to see if I could read any of the posters in My Bestsellers.

However, it is hard to separate the new playstyle from the fact that I know SH3 very well. It's really not a perfect substitute for that reason.

I must say I've been enjoying this, despite the periodic, usually fatal screw-ups (Extreme difficulty, after all) and awkward-yet-oddly-compelling moments like trying to figure out how to get the two Closers blocking the hallway to stop rubbing against each other without getting myself killed.

Of course, I'm the sort of gamer that thrives on challenge and I know that not everyone does it like me (another incentive for me to do this is that I'll finally learn how to block and use jerky correctly, as well as figure out monster behavior).

Puppet_Doctor wrote:
In the Nintendo Power article it says the monsters hate fire so you get flares which will stun them for a short time. This reminds me of the ghosts in Silent Hill 4 and I hated the ghosts in Silent Hill 4.

What bothered me most about SH4's ghosts wasn't that they were immortal and chased me everywhere, it was two other things: 1) that they could hurt you with their mere presence, and 2) that they wouldn't follow you continuously, that they would spawn through the opposite wall from where you (and it) came, destroying the illusion of the chase.

Of course, I also love the Siren series, which is pretty much side-by-side with SH in terms of its appeal to me, so that probably has something to do with my willingness to accept a horror game making me powerless.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 17 May 2008
Notes left: 128
I'm sort of faced with two sides on this.

In a survival horror game yes fighting all the time isn't a good show of horror but Striping away all weapons feels kind of wrong to me.

If i was struck I would like others said would get the first thing I could see an use it to protect myself.

Maybe they'll make the monsters killable but just stronger and pretty lethal.

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jul 2003
Notes left: 2368
One thing I'd like Climax to state outright is if stealth will be of any factor in Shattered Memories. I guess I can forgive Climax's decision to exclude combat completely, but only if I am able to sneak around undetected. Series such as SIREN proved it can be effective.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 02 Mar 2009
Notes left: 325
Last seen at: Room 302
If the monsters are as easy to bypass as the Shibito, it'll work out fine.

Post subject:

Missing since: 31 Jan 2004
Notes left: 3832
Personally, I think it's much easier to design a game in which you're forced to run instead of actually creating a combat system. It's also much easier to shuffle players through environments with a monster on their heels instead of taking the time to create areas that are interesting and worthy of exploration. That's why I hated Clock Tower. That's why I hated Haunting Ground. That's one, of many, reasons as to why I hate The Room (Sure, you could smack the ghosts around with a pole, but it was basically useless). Now, none of us know what Shattered Memories is going to be like yet. But if it's anything like those games, you can count me out.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 02 Feb 2005
Notes left: 52
VIVIsect wrote:
Personally, I think it's much easier to design a game in which you're forced to run instead of actually creating a combat system. It's also much easier to shuffle players through environments with a monster on their heels instead of taking the time to create areas that are interesting and worthy of exploration. That's why I hated Clock Tower. That's why I hated Haunting Ground. That's one, of many, reasons as to why I hate The Room (Sure, you could smack the ghosts around with a pole, but it was basically useless). Now, none of us know what Shattered Memories is going to be like yet. But if it's anything like those games, you can count me out.

That is my biggest fear right there.

What makes Silent Hill stand apart from so many other games, and you hear people say this all the time, is the atmosphere. I still fondly remember the first time I ever experienced the Otherworld hospital and church in SH3, and those experiences are some of my favorite gaming moments, ever. The level designs were completely brilliant.

If we spend all our time running in SM, will it affect our ability to explore and appreciate our surroundings?

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Aug 2008
Notes left: 102
I agree with you woofy. Taking off combat increases the scare and psychological factor by a mile. Look at Clock Tower. See how scary that game became because of no combat. Props to Climax for doing that, but one question is how hard will the enemies be hitting?

Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Sep 2008
Notes left: 3260
Last seen at: United States, Texas
JamesisBetterThanHarry22 wrote:
I agree with you woofy. Taking off combat increases the scare and psychological factor by a mile. Look at Clock Tower. See how scary that game became because of no combat. Props to Climax for doing that, but one question is how hard will the enemies be hitting?

I was wondering the same thing. Do the enemies kill you instantly if you don't manage to shrug throw them off, or do we still get health drinks? :)

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Aug 2008
Notes left: 211
Well you might die if you dont shake the monsters off but I assume you will be able to shake them off a few times before you flat line. In the first SH game if you put the game on hard then you can not just go runing and guning or you will run out of ammo after the first few encounters leaving you hords of monster do deal with so for most of the game until you get the firemans hammer you are really jsut running from the monsters because it is a very wide decision to save as much ammo as you can for the boss.

For me that is where SH really struck a nerve on how asome it was and it made that game for me unplayable on any setting execpt hard. So I am really excited about this Idea of more runing away then fighting because that is what the first game was really about if you put the game on hard.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Mar 2009
Notes left: 105
I think if I was in the same position, I'd run if I could, firstly; if that wasn't an option, THEN I'd fight with whatever I could find.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 May 2006
Notes left: 474
Last seen at: MA
I was a bit worried when I read that you won't be fighting in the game. I was like.."Uh oh", but I understand what they're trying to do. It's more realistic to have to run rather than fight your way out of a dangerous area or situation because you can't find some weapon to use at the time. Or also in real life you can't find random health drinks lying around on the street. heehee.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 18 Apr 2009
Notes left: 1399
You know what, after Homecoming, I'd happily say goodbye to combat, but I'd like to think you could clear an area of monsters in order to explore etc. I would love if they gave it a Dead Rising type thing where you can use items against them, like run from the monsters until you can find something to hit them with, which you can't keep in your inventory? Or perhaps being able to lure monsters into an electric fence or into whatever kind of trap...

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 02 Aug 2005
Notes left: 1515
Last seen at: Colombia
That really remind me of that game named Lode Runner... You were unable of fight enemies so you had to lure them, to holes for kill them...

This game had a lot of thinking and if SH SM will use this kind of strategies it will be really interesting... I want to see PSP screenshots soon!! I just hope that my countru receive copies of this game, I was lucky for get the SH0 UMD...

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Dec 2008
Notes left: 678
I can't wait to see what contraptions they are going to give us, I know about Flares and barricades, but I still hope for things like being able to push a Piano down some stairs as they try to get you.

~Drake

"Oh it get's to me alright" - Vincent
My Silent Hill Fanfic, Silent Hill: Spiritual Dissonance

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 02 Aug 2005
Notes left: 1515
Last seen at: Colombia
Yeah, would be cool to see Harry beating the monsters like Kevin McAllister in Home Alone...

YESS!!

Last edited by KageReneko on 05 May 2009, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Sep 2008
Notes left: 3260
Last seen at: United States, Texas
KageReneko wrote:
Yeah, would be cool to enter to see Harry beating the monsters like Kevin McAllister in Home Alone...

YESS!!

Sure, we can stick tar and nails on the stairwells, Christmas ornaments next to the windows, and matchbox cars in the hallways to stop the monsters from chasing you. :)

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 02 May 2009
Notes left: 46
Choice.

The thing about scary things is that they cease to become scary once you've been overexposed to them. So once fleeing is no longer scary, is it going to be FUN? Fun like beating down monsters with a steel pipe? Well, it's not like you're going to get a choice in the matter like previous Silent Hill games, from what we've heard. And honestly from the sounds of it, your options are going to be heavily based around the use of context sensitive buttons which sounds horribly simplistic.

I worry about this because Climax already has a strike against them for Good Idea-Terrible Implementation regarding breakable weapons in Origins.

Also remember that Clock Tower and Haunting Ground both to an extent allow you to fight the enemy directly, it's just that fighting is too dangerous to really be feasible. But at least you get the choice.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 May 2009
Notes left: 276
I would much rather they give you a choice of running or combat rather than just focus on evading them. It's disappointing, but we'll just have to see what they do.

Combat has never really been a problem for the series to me so I just feel there is no need to remove it.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 26 May 2009
Notes left: 122
I think the lack of combat would be interesting and could work very well, but I think there should be something to make up for it, because the gameplay could maybe be unbalanced. Like a slight stealth element, otherwise you may never be able to fully explore areas if you just run through them frantically hoping you don't your ass kicked.

I have a feeling they'll implement the flashlight in a way that you can turn it off to sneak by enemies better or something.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 May 2009
Notes left: 276
It just seems to me that removing combat deprives the player of some freedom in order to deal with monsters. You can have fear by running from them, trying to sneak by them in the dark, or being cornered and hoping you'll be able to shoot them enough times to bring them down to the floor.

Strictly sticking to running (and using just flares) just sounds like it will make things a bit repetitive.

But the game isn't out yet, so we'll see what they can do.

Expectations aren't set very high though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next