ANOTHER Silent Hill universe...?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

woofy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

ANOTHER Silent Hill universe...?

Post by woofy »

Okay, so the game isn't going to be canon, which is good news. They are basically rewriting the first script and keeping the characters.
I have a very slight problem with this though. Not enough of a problem not to buy it, it's more of a small annoyance.

As awesome as I believe the game is going to be, I can't help but feel that we don't really need another silent hill universe. Nope, that didn't come out right.

What I mean to say is, not another silent hill universe using the same characters.

Is anyone else slightly annoyed with this?
If they want to rewrite it, fine. But why tear apart a perfectly good game with a good story and make it non-canon? Can't they just invent some new characters?
Sake
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Sake »

I agree. It's a pretty risky move on Climax's part, considering the fact that they could butcher one of the characters pretty badly. If some fans are raging because of Harry's glasses and Cybil's outfit, imagine what they'll say if personalities are altered.

Then again, if they use the same characters, it's much easier to regard the game as non-canon.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

It's better than them making a canon game and fucking THAT up. I'm looking at you, 0rigins.

Besides, with this, this is only three universes that anyone actually gives a damn about. We have main games, this, the movie, the comics, the cell phone games, and Arcade. Assuming all six main games are canon, that's eight universes. Hardly Climax's fault.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

You're getting repetitive...
Rob Matter
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Rob Matter »

I don't think the series has advanced itself to the point where a remake of the original is warranted.

And at this rate, it never will be.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

You're getting repetitive...
Oh, yea, and you're not. This is only the second time I've mentioned the various universes of the franchise, so step off my balls.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
_Drake_
Hope House Careworker

Post by _Drake_ »

Quite Frankly, the whole Silent Hill thing is messed up at times, As Aura has shown, we have Eight universes, each playing out their own Silent Hill experience and just because a new one is being made, doesn't mean it'll be bad.

~Drake

"Oh it get's to me alright" - Vincent
My Silent Hill Fanfic, Silent Hill: Spiritual Dissonance
woofy

Post by woofy »

No, I highly doubt it will be bad.
If they wanted to make a non canon game, that's great but why use the original characters? Do you think that maybe new fans to the series might then mistake it for being canon, which will then maybe lead to confusion = "SH sucks because it doesn't make sense"
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

"SH sucks because it doesn't make sense" is what people have been saying since 1999. It's not a new reaction in the slightest. If you don't believe me, look at "professional" reviews - they all mention how the story makes no sense and is convoluted.

I'm just glad they're not fucking with the established universe. Let them make another one, it matters little.
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.
woofy

Post by woofy »

I have to agree with this, but in a way I feel like they are fucking with an established universe by using the same characters
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

They're just exhibiting developer laziness, which is something that's becoming somewhat of an epidemic (I'm looking at you, Square Enix). It's kinda stupid, though, since if they're making something this different you'd think they can come up with a new main character at least.
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
woofy

Post by woofy »

Yeah, well considering they have to make all the levels, character models, etc from scratch you wouldn't think it would be that much of a stretch to create a new story :?
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

Well, see, that's the problem. As technology gets better, more time has to be spent on creating levels, character models, etc. All the time that developers used to spend on story, plot, character development, even gameplay is going towards how the game looks and sounds. I've noticed that trend especially amongst role-playing games, but it's starting to be a part of all genres, really (i.e. a good portion of people think RE 4 was better than RE 5 - even pros like GameSpot).

But yeah, they should spend some time for that, if they're willing to do so much with the environment and gameplay. Oh, well - they likely won't.
--
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

"This game won't be canon."

That's an understatment considering in an article posted in the "Dr. K=Kaufmann" it said that Harry will be using his cell phone to access maps, take down notes and take pictures.

... Yep, totally canon.
Kupomee
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kupomee »

I have a feeling they'll surprise everyone with a canon storyline. Wishfull thinking maybe, but what I've seen from the story at this point makes me think there's more to it.
There's either an awesome explanation for how and why everything is happening 'again' (or just happening in someone's head), or Climax is starting it's own new canon and might be remaking every other Silent Hill game after this, which could be cool too.
I think...hope
"We are such stuff as dreams are made of, and our little life is rounded with a sleep."
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

I have no problems with this new setting. I was just wondering when parallell universes would make their entrance in Silent Hill (excluding the Otherworlds).

The only thing that they might fuck up is making Harry smarter and wiser. Giving him glasses is a warning, I don't want Harry to loose his "What's this!"-personality. :(

>Harry Mason's cell phone
Woot for anachronism.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Sake
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Sake »

"Giving him glasses is a warning, I don't want Harry to loose his "What's this!"-personality."

Haha, me neither =P

This always makes me laugh.
bryan12112
Just Passing Through

Post by bryan12112 »

I would like to see these ideas used in SH6 (or 5 if you don't count Homecoming as a numbered title), and a true remake of SH1 on the PS3 & 360.

A man can dream, can't he? :wink:
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

>or 5 if you don't count Homecoming as a numbered title
Doesn't matter. It's still the fifth main Silent Hill game, even if there isn't a number in its title. If you really want to be finicky, however, you should count 0rigins as the fifth main Silent Hill game, and put Homecoming as number six. Which leaves Shattered Memories as number seven.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

I was hoping for this to be an April fools joke, the whole idea screams crap and butchering. Climax really have something to prove with this one.