HA! I love this.

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Post by Kenji »

Which would be true. RE4 and 5 just aren't scary in the ways that a horror game ought to at least be... really, there's just the tension of maybe not making it out of some situation, but you get that out of any decently tough action game.
Clyde
Just Passing Through

Post by Clyde »

Futures wrote:^
something about the games no being frightening because of the way they empower the player...
Ah, right. Agreeing with the above post on this as well. It seems like Climax was stating a blunt fact. RE4 and RE5 try to be action-packed rather than horror-filled, though they do still retain somewhat of a horror theme in some of their presentation aspects.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

How can you not love RE4? Yes, the plot sucked, but Resident Evil as a series stopped taking plot seriously starting with Code Veronica anyway. Resident Evil 4 continues that proud tradition but I'm okay with it because the game is just so damn fun.
phix95
Just Passing Through

Post by phix95 »

For an action game. I don't consider RE an action game. Just like SH isn't. Too bad. I was a huge fan until RE4...
alone in the town

I stopped liking Resident Evil after Nemesis, because it stopped being a series about normal people in an extraordinary situation. Suddenly, every character had superhuman Matrix moves and the previous games started getting retconned to death. It was CV that began the trend of Wesker becoming the ubiquitous badguy, the Pyramid Head of Resident Evil.

The reason I like RE4 is because at least the game itself is good enough to make up for the storyline being retarded.
Captain Coatrack
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Captain Coatrack »

The retarded storyline was part of its charm.
I'm bringin' Scexies back.
Reno
Just Passing Through

Post by Reno »

RE4 is the SH2 of the RE series. It had obvious base ties to everything that had gone on prior, but seperated itself from direct contact so it could flesh out it's own elements.
phix95
Just Passing Through

Post by phix95 »

I really never got to get into the story b/c I hated the gameplay so much.
EDIT: meaning the story of RE4 and up. I liked the story in the previous titles.
Last edited by phix95 on 22 Apr 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

Reno wrote:RE4 is the SH2 of the RE series.
brave words. Seriously, RE back then when it came out. It was best of the series, it was 1st game ever I skipped the school day so no shit here. RE was a milestone on PSX
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

alone in the town wrote:I stopped liking Resident Evil after Nemesis, because it stopped being a series about normal people in an extraordinary situation. Suddenly, every character had superhuman Matrix moves and the previous games started getting retconned to death. It was CV that began the trend of Wesker becoming the ubiquitous badguy, the Pyramid Head of Resident Evil.

The reason I like RE4 is because at least the game itself is good enough to make up for the storyline being retarded.
Nemesis SUCKED!!! When it came out, I wrote an epic rant about Nemesis that got passed around the Internets. I even try to replay it now and I want to scream at how bad it is. Fighting a way-too-difficult boss every ten minutes is not my idea of fun, and the whole layout of the game was just retarded. And the Russian mercenaries...

Resident Evil 4 was a huge step in the right direction. Resident Evil 5 didn't innovate, but it stayed in the light. Silent Hill games need a huge gameplay overhaul if they want to attract people to the franchise, because SH gameplay has always sucked so hardcore.

This is why I'm excited about Shattered Memories. I just finally looks and sounds so different.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

I certainly don't hate RE4 and 5. Contrary, I think both are the most fun I've ever had with a Resident Evil game! They just aren't scary or horrifying. At all.

It's also kinda impossible to take the RE story seriously, but it does make a fun yarn.
AgentX7k
Hope House Careworker

Post by AgentX7k »

I personally love RE4 & RE5 as I found the previous installments to be extremely flawed (compared to SH). They have have taken extreme measures to fix it but they did fix it in the end. Plus fear was never really an issue for me, I played it for the gameplay.
"The Body Is Cold?"
phix95
Just Passing Through

Post by phix95 »

Nemesis was very hard. Which is why I used Gameshark on that one.
RE4, 5---ruined the series (imo).
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

If you mean they ruined the series story-wise, then I agree completely.
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.
alone in the town

That particular ship sailed with Code: Veronica.
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

Hey, at least Resident Evil 5 bucked the most annoying Resident Evil tradition:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
The last level didn't self-destruct.
That particular ship sailed with Code: Veronica.
It sailed with Resident Evil 2 in my opinion.
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

Speaking of which, I guess ol' Steve's whereabouts are never going to be known. Not that I care too much - I thought he was annoying - but the developers should still say something (unless they did in RE 5).
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
phix95
Just Passing Through

Post by phix95 »

Bishop Sasarai wrote:If you mean they ruined the series story-wise, then I agree completely.
Ha, well I dunno about that b/c I never got that far. I just meant the difficult/totally changed controls and how hard it was. That ruined it for me. And that it turned into an action games. Pure action games I'm not a fan of and never was.
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

Yeah, I guess that's a good point. RE 4 felt like a Hollywood movie, with all the jumping out of windows and over logs and stuff. Not to mention the cheesy dialogue. I really loved the cabin shootout, though - probably my favorite part of the whole game. That shit was pretty scary, in my opinion - even with all the ammo.
--
alone in the town

DamienPales wrote:It sailed with Resident Evil 2 in my opinion.
I'm intrigued. Resident Evil 2 has always been my favorite of the series.