Intervew with Tomm Hulett re: SHSM

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

put_here_2_feel_joy
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by put_here_2_feel_joy »

Bishop Sasarai wrote:Looks like he's trying to build hype. Which could backfire once the game comes out and those that have hyped it to death actually play it, and then proceed to go all out with the complaints, GameFAQs-style.
Which is exactly why I'm trying not to give this game too much thought. We have a looong way to go until Autumn.
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1/Dredge_/sunsetcopy.jpg[/img]
Arsonist
Hope House Careworker

Post by Arsonist »

Don't get your hopes up. Andii is right, he never said they won't use him.

Besides, Climax obviously thinks that a large, monster-oppressing, metal-helmet-wearing, giant-blade-dragging monster isn't the same as a large, monster-oppressing, metal-pyramid shaped-helmet-wearing, giant-blade-dragging monster.

Yup, it's totally different, and totally not a rip off, you guys! Seriously!

Don't be surprised to see a pyramid-less Pyramid Head is all I'm saying.
put_here_2_feel_joy
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by put_here_2_feel_joy »

^ -urp- I think just threw up in my mouth a little...

If something else similar to the Butcher or PH manifests itself in SH, I'm throwing this game out the window like a frisbee, hoping to embed it deep into Hulett's skull. I think we'll all be full of hateraid if Climax pulls a stunt like that.
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1/Dredge_/sunsetcopy.jpg[/img]
MEGADETH
Just Passing Through

Post by MEGADETH »

Bishop Sasarai wrote:Looks like he's trying to build hype. Which could backfire once the game comes out and those that have hyped it to death actually play it, and then proceed to go all out with the complaints, GameFAQs-style.
read his other answer, he also said the reason this game is more then just remake is because there's so many wii gamers out there that never play this game before... nobody making game for old fans only.
PrescitedEntity
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by PrescitedEntity »

Seconding (or is it thirding?) the above. I'd actually rather have RPT in the damn game than another blatant facsimile of it, because pulling not only crap, but half-assed crap, is beyond irritating.

I think the reason they're hyping it up the way they are is as much for casual fans of the series than veteran fans who have stuck with it loyally throughout. For instance, reading comments such as those on this board have stopped at least two of my friends from purchasing Homecoming; promising a return to form with a game those fans remember fondly is a good way to get them to at least pick it up.
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j304/PrescitedEntity/sigLinger.jpg[/img]
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

so very right entity i am a silent hill whore so i was gonna pick it up anyway lol
rdtorres87
Just Passing Through

Post by rdtorres87 »

I don't see the problem in having pyramid head in other games.Yeah he was a part of james' imagination but something in silent hill gave it the power to form so it must have been partly made by james and partly made by the town anyway.When angela saw abstract daddy that was directly linked to her dad and what happened to her which wouldn't really make sense for anyone else to see, but PH is just an executioner which i don't think his appearance has as much personal meaning to james.Also PH was in the paintings so couldn't it just be that anyone who has feelings of guilt and that they should be punished could see pyramid head as that is the form that silent hill gives the monster to fit its reason for being there?...if that makes any sense
Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

if this game is non canon then it's perfect time and place to unleash PH to rape this one last time. I don't get it why are you getting so excited about this not important game, in the terms of franchise speaking.
Mantorok
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mantorok »

It doesn't seem like PH will be in this game. At best you'll probably a picture or something.

I'll buy the PS2 version of the game, and I'm actually kind of looking forward to it now.
woofy

Post by woofy »

I'm definitely buying the wii version now that I have the wii connected to the home theatre.
You never know, there might be a PH reference in the game somewhere...
Icewolf
Just Passing Through

Post by Icewolf »

I'm still not very impressed, I'm glad Pyramid Head isn't being included since Homecoming and the Movie should be burned and destroyed, but making a stand by saying "We're reimagining Silent Hill 1, Harry lives in 1980 and yet he has a touch phone, he can't shoot a low caliber gun, but he can bash down a door EZmode"
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Erm...the reimagining takes place in modern day, not 1980.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Kairu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Kairu »

The interview was very interesting and a nice read, but my optimism is low, I was excited when homecoming was announced, thought the team would deliver, but I was disappointed. I am very glad it's not a remake, though, at least thats something.
mermaid symphony
Just Passing Through

Post by mermaid symphony »

Doesn't make me want it any more. Infact, them bashing Homecoming makes me want it less.
icon from creamiicandy on lj
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

mermaid symphony wrote:Doesn't make me want it any more. Infact, them bashing Homecoming makes me want it less.
Bashing SHH? I think he makes very respectful (not to mention true) points. There's no bashing that I can see.
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
Travis

Post by Travis »

So that's that about Shattered Memories... I didn't care about it until now, as I thought it would be just a stupid wii remake of SH1.
I am certainly intrigued, but I don't have high expectations for it. Oh well. I'll just see it when the time comes.
Sega is paying close attention. Every vote, every facebook like counts. Keep spreading the word!!
mermaid symphony
Just Passing Through

Post by mermaid symphony »

Vixx wrote:
mermaid symphony wrote:Doesn't make me want it any more. Infact, them bashing Homecoming makes me want it less.
Bashing SHH? I think he makes very respectful (not to mention true) points. There's no bashing that I can see.
Bashing is too harsh a word I suppose, but in a past interview with them they made most references to SHH basically acting like "oh lol we can do better".

Yes, PH is somewhat to James only [I enjoyed how he was seen as the "bogeyman" in Homecoming, a nursery rhyme monster to keep children in line, but that could be 'cause I love fairytales and all that jazz], but they had the butcher aka ph ripoff. :/ I'm doing like Arsonist and chucking this game out if he makes an appearance.
Dark Sky
Just Passing Through

Post by Dark Sky »

mermaid symphony wrote: but they had the butcher aka ph ripoff.
Remember that the English team creating Shattered Memories TOOK OVER the production of Origins when the original American developers were fired.

They may not have liked the direction the game was in and certain characters which were in the game they inherited, but they were stuck with an unfinished project which needed finishing to a high quality in a limited time. Which they did.

Now these guys were asked to do a remake of SH1 and have decided to do something as completely new and fresh as they can, within that brief.

So it's not a remake, it's a re imagining, with a new look and new story and new gameplay.

And they should be APPLAUDED for wanting to do that, rather than doing what Double Helix did with Homecoming which was to simply recycle as many elements as they could.
Burning Man
Historical Society Historian

Post by Burning Man »

mermaid symphony wrote:Bashing is too harsh a word I suppose, but in a past interview with them they made most references to SHH basically acting like "oh lol we can do better".
Hmm. Maybe I'm not up to speed with all the interviews - and feel free to correct me - but I never once heard them taking direct jabs at Homecoming specifically.

In case of recent Silent Hill games focusing on combat, this is something that even Origins is guilty of, in my opinion. The only jab that was made at Homecoming specifically was from Yamaoka as far as I can remember, but this, too, in my opinion, is something that Origins is guilty of more or less.

Besides, there's nothing wrong with a little competition from different companies wanting to provide the best Silent Hill experience - in their humble opinion, of course - and calling each other out when the need arises. Healthy competition has always proved beneficial, and in this case, I'm sure it will benefit the consumers in the end.

Personally, I think it's a bit misguided to be disappointed at the developers for bringing in a PH-like monster. I've always felt that this decision was up to people at Konami. So even if any of the developers feel like including such a monster was a bad idea, they might not have a choice, really.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
Krysta

Post by Krysta »

Burning Man wrote: Personally, I think it's a bit misguided to be disappointed at the developers for bringing in a PH-like monster. I've always felt that this decision was up to people at Konami. So even if any of the developers feel like including such a monster was a bad idea, they might not have a choice, really.
A very good point. Konami, the mandator, is still in charge of games development. We have no clue how much of a free space they are giving to the contractors though. One way or the other someones got to take the blame and Konami's fault in it was somehow overlooked but I also think there is much more in it. Its not wise speak against your employer