New trailer & Hands on article

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

GrievousGarland

Post by GrievousGarland »

I personally loved how a huge piece of ice formed during the transition to block one of the roads. That is much more impressive than roads that appear to have just suddenly fallen apart. It's like we can finally hear the town screaming "we don't want you to go this way!"

very cool. 8)
Walter10h
Just Passing Through

Post by Walter10h »

HOLY SHIT! that looks pretty awesome :D well yeah it's a trailer but still. I hope they keep that VA for Harry, I like it, he sounds like a nod to our good ol' 1980's based Harry, same with Kaufmann he sounds evil and normal at the same time, oh and so hope THAT was Lisa right there on the intercom.
chia2141
Just Passing Through

Post by chia2141 »

its all awesome.

for the haters, silent hill series has its own trademark so its not all the same.

back off!. :x
There's a silent hill in every one of us
Julian lyal
Just Passing Through

Post by Julian lyal »

its all awesome.

for the haters, silent hill series has its own trademark so its not all the same.

back off!.
i say the haters are the crap at the bottom of my boota 8)
Agent of God
Subway Guard

Post by Agent of God »

Aha,yeah this looks really good!The Ice otherworld is a whole new thing to Silent Hill but it looks awesome!I am very positive about this game.
We are still here...
syntheticlung
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by syntheticlung »

I like the idea of the psyche profiling but am I the only person who misses the old voice acting, dialog and character animation?
stitchedlamb
Just Passing Through

Post by stitchedlamb »

There's no way I'm not buying this game, but to tell the truth, the trailer was underwhelming.

For me, personally, ice is in no way as frightening as the classic Otherworld. Winter is my favorite season, and I much more prefer the cold to warmth. It's just something I'm more comfortable with. It's going to take a lot of convincing to make ice and snow scary, to me at least.

Also, eesh. That monster. Boring.

Sure, the monsters in the original game were lackluster compared to those of 2 and 3. But you know what made up for it? The constant blood, rust, and darkness of the Otherworld. The atmosphere was so oppressive in that game, I was literally relieved when it shifted back to the foggy world. No other Silent Hill game has managed to make me feel that way. And it looks like that's something they're doing away with in Memories, given the Otherworld has had a massive transformation.

Of course, Climax has nailed some classic Silent Hill moments in Origins (the first time I walked into the basement of the Sanitarium, I caught a glimpse of a Carrion shuffling down the hall with the static filter going nuts and Akira's music pounding away. A true "WTF" moment, the best kind in Silent Hill). So, I'm more then willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Can't be any worse then the monsters of Homecoming, at least.
Reno
Just Passing Through

Post by Reno »

I think part of my problem is I recently played through Crysis again(yes, graphical leap, it's the wii, blah blah.)
But point standing, they pulled off a creepy, frozen waste land incredibly well.
It technically even runs on the same tropes as this game is, in that you start out in an essentially normal place(a jungle island) and then face a frozen, ruined version of the same space.
(before:http://forevergeek.com/wp-content/uploa ... 50x360.jpg; and after: http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/9427/frozen03ij3.jpg)

I think part of the problem of the ice theme, is because the place is dark and snowy already, the transition loses a massive amount of it's impact.

Stitched mentioned warmth. You have to imagine a spring or summer enviornment, and then suddenly having your warm color-tones blue shift, ice encroaches on everything and freezes over.
It would be much, much more immediately apparent, and would have a much higher impact than "it's snowy, and oh, now it's icy instead. hm"
overachiever547
Gravedigger

Post by overachiever547 »

Whoa. I totally got chills when it transitioned to the Otherworld. Just the combination of sounds (the metal bending, the ice cracking, the car alarms) was so cacophonic and... just perfect.
Hurm...
Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Post by Kenji »

syntheticlung wrote: am I the only person who misses the old voice acting, dialog and character animation?
Yup.

I mean, the old game had its charm and all, but it was hardly "the master of unlocking."
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

Reno wrote:You have to imagine a spring or summer enviornment, and then suddenly having your warm color-tones blue shift, ice encroaches on everything and freezes over.
Your point hasn't gone unnoticed, but I don't think it works with Silent Hill's story. Harry wouldn't have to be so terrified if he lost his daughter on a warm summer's day.

But I go agree with you. Whatever direction Climax may have decided on, the transition is not as dramatic as that of the original.
stitchedlamb wrote:Sure, the monsters in the original game were lackluster compared to those of 2 and 3.
That, and we're comparing monsters from a game released 10 years ago on a PS1. With technological advancements, surely they can come up with something less "generic?"

Besides, that monster just looks like the Stalkers from the Silent Hill movie. If this monster started burning away or something, we might not even have noticed a difference.
Ratiocinator wrote:Yeah, again, until I see more footage it's not really fair for me to say but the only turn-off I've had so far is the Otherworld transition... so blocky, choppy and rigid.
I certainly got that feeling as well, but I thought it was because they wanted to go with the ice theme. The otherworlds that we were used to before were fire-based, so it makes sense for the transition to be more "flowy," but I don't think ice is meant to be like that. I mean, if you burn away a piece of paper opposed to dip a piece of lead in liquid hydrogen, I think you get the idea.

Anyway, I thought this trailer was disappointing. Not necessarily because of its content but its direction. It's certainly missing the impact that the other games' trailers before it had. I remember being completely blown away by the trailers from SH1-4.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
crucifix

Post by crucifix »

Burning Man wrote:Besides, that monster just looks like the Stalkers from the Silent Hill movie. If this monster started burning away or something, we might not even have noticed a difference.
where do you see the similarities? "that monster" is flesh-toned, faceless, tall and lean. the stalkers... were none of those.

again, simplicity > overkill. when you create something - particularly a silent hill monster (i'm looking at asphyxia once again) - with too much shit going on in the design, it ends up looking ridiculous.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
Julian lyal
Just Passing Through

Post by Julian lyal »

its one dam monster thats all we have seen dam and least its not a fucking stupid over the top monster from homecoming
Reno
Just Passing Through

Post by Reno »

I do get the feeling that most of the 'horror' from that particular moster(remember, supposedly the monster designs will change based on your psyche profile) is more the movement and the potentially stalking nature of the thing, than immediate grotesqurey.
Julian lyal
Just Passing Through

Post by Julian lyal »

I do get the feeling that most of the 'horror' from that particular moster(remember, supposedly the monster designs will change based on your psyche profile) is more the movement and the potentially stalking nature of the thing, than immediate grotesqurey.

right some monsters will be scrairy than others base on the psyche profile i heard in some handson demo that a reviewer said he was being chased by blue boxed head monsters
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Burning Man wrote:Anyway, I thought this trailer was disappointing. Not necessarily because of its content but its direction. It's certainly missing the impact that the other games' trailers before it had. I remember being completely blown away by the trailers from SH1-4.
I can't disagree with this.

The best part about this trailer was that we got to see some of those screenshots in motion. Of course, that's the farthest from "above and beyond the call of duty" that you can get for a video. :P

I wasn't outright disappointed by the Otherworld transition, but considering that they're switching from snow to ice... I was kinda hoping it'd be more subtle, kinda like the Snow Queen transition (it starts at 2:20) of Persona, PSX version.

I certainly will vouch for the strength of the trailers for the older games. One of the biggest reasons why I found SH4 to be a disappointment was because its trailer was outright scary, and I was fully expecting the game to act just as unpredictably.

... in that case, maybe it's not a bad thing if Shattered Memories doesn't oversell in its trailers. Of course, that completely would defeat the purpose of trailers in general.
Clyde
Just Passing Through

Post by Clyde »

I wasn't impressed by the Otherworld transition or the monster designs so far, but the music and brief taste of voice acting was pretty good. Also found the graphics of Harry's facial features to be impressive.

Unfortunately, this trailer only serves to make me feel skeptical of all the claims surrounding this game's impressive graphics. They're pretty good so far, but only if you add "for a Wii game" quickly after the statement.

Hopefully they take some time to touch up on a few things before the game is set to be released. I would understand if they felt the need push back the release date even, as long as it means that we'll be receiving the features that we were promised.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

crucifix wrote:again, simplicity > overkill
It's never that black and white. A good mix between the two would be even better. Silent Hill 2, 3's monsters were a good mix, neither too simple nor too complex. There's no rule saying that monsters need to be simple or they should be automatically categorized as "overkill."

Nope, still getting the stalker vibe from that monster. You can even compare it with the original's stalkers if you need to. I didn't get a "what the hell is this" feeling with that one, but a "I've seen you before." Of course, using existing design is obviously not new to Shattered Memories. The Closers from SH3 were the same as Mandarin from SH2.

I hope Climax has more interesting monsters.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

Wow! This game looks really good. I love the transition too! Can't wait for this!
Terminus
Gravedigger

Post by Terminus »

The monsters are promised to "evolve" as the game progresses, I assume that this "evolution" will affect their aesthetic design. Seeing as these shots are from the opening minutes of the game, the monster we are being shown in these screenshots is likely to be the most basic, "unevolved" variation.

"IGN: Tell us about the enemies in the game.

Sam Barlow: They're relentless, intelligent creatures that outnumber Harry. Like everything in the game, this enemy is part of the dynamic psychology content.

Mark Simmons: They are very intelligent and extremely dynamic. They will hunt you down, co-ordinate with each other, flank you, cut you off, herd you, and stop you. You're in a nightmare and all you can do is hope to escape. As you can climb over walls, fences, through windows, up ladders, jump gaps, up stairs, through doors, so can they. They can go everywhere you can go and more. The enemy will evolve as the game goes on into your perfect nightmare creature based on your psychological profile"(IGN Silent Hill: Shattered Memories Interview 4).

Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/971/971319p4.html

Also posted on page 2 of this thread.
Last edited by Terminus on 31 May 2009, edited 2 times in total.