Psychological Questionnaire Discussion Thread *Updated*

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Terminus
Gravedigger

Psychological Questionnaire Discussion Thread *Updated*

Post by Terminus »

These simple yes/no questions are going to have a significant impact on how each of our game worlds will shape themselves. Here is the (full?) list of questions:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
-I make friends easily.

-Having a drink helps me relax.

-I always listen to other people's feelings.

-I prefer abstract ideas.

-I have enjoyed role-play during sex.

-Working to a plan or schedule is best.

-I have never cheated on a partner.
Our answers to these questions will affect whether our first encounter is with a cop or a waitress, whether we are allowed to enter the bar or the diner, whether we can explore an electronics store or clothing store, how our monsters look and evolve as the game progresses, and even whether characters will act kindly or be nasty towards us. All this is just from the opening minutes of the game.

Can anyone think of the possible significance these questions might have, aside from the immediate gameworld-altering implications? Other discussion involving these questions/the psyche profile in general can go here too. If any other questions from the questionnaire surface, post them here so we can expand the list.

Sources:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/987/987412p2.html
May 2009 Nintendo Power
http://wii.ign.com/articles/971/971319p4.html
http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14325477 ... 60109.html
Last edited by Terminus on 02 Jun 2009, edited 4 times in total.
The Hawk's Eye
Just Passing Through

Post by The Hawk's Eye »

I wonder if these are all yes or no questions, or if there might be more answers depending on the question.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/3026/ultimatemofohawkeyeanimatedur5.gif[/img][/url]
Loveless_Dogg
Historical Society Historian

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

Maybe ending possibilities are effected as well. Like if you're a person that likes to drink and has enjoyed some sexual fantasies being played out. One possible ending could be that Harry's awakens from his amnesia. You find out that he was quickly trying to get out of town because in a drunken rage he raped and murdered his own daughter........at least that what I would do.
Value your failures more than your successes. Successes only last until someone screws them up. Failures are forever. She left...and...I'm lost.
Enika
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Enika »

I think it would be interesting if it affected the types of weapons you got. I don't have anything specific in mind, but perhaps by saying you preferred abstract ideas, you would get more abstract weapons (what I don't know), and saying that you didn't would net you something more conventional.
Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Whitney »

Enika wrote:I think it would be interesting if it affected the types of weapons you got. I don't have anything specific in mind, but perhaps by saying you preferred abstract ideas, you would get more abstract weapons (what I don't know), and saying that you didn't would net you something more conventional.
There is no combat in the game so I doubt Harry would get any weapons...maybe different tools to solve puzzles?
My Websites!
Image Image Image
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

>Are you fond of having a drink?
If 'Yes', one possible ending would be this:

Harry wakes up in a café bar, gasping for air.
Bartender: Hey? You ok?
Harry: (feels dizzy) I'm... not sure. I just had the most strangest dream...
Bartender: Bad daydream, huh? Here, have a cleaner, mate. Drown your problems. (hands drink)
Harry: (confusingly grasps drink, but then suddenly refuses) No, I gotta go... I gotta.... (huge eyeballs) Oh my, oh my god, Cheryl's still in the car!
Bartender: You have your daughter with you?
Harry: (stressed) Yes... I... I really need to go, I totally forgot her while sitting here.. Oh my god.. My god...
Bartender: Are you in a hurry?
Harry: Well, not really. Me and my daughter are going for a vacation, that's all. I need to get back to my car now... Thanks.
Harry starts to walk away, when the bartender suddenly confronts him by saying:
Bartender: Hey sorry, this is perhaps none of my business, but not a lot of people take this road for vacation nowadays.... Where are you going?
Harry: Oh... Silent Hill.
Harry walks out of café.
The end.

Chillin' huh? This means the game ends where SH1 starts. To fit in.

Note: I overused Harry's new "Oh my god"-personality.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Terminus
Gravedigger

Post by Terminus »

The psyche evaluation portion of the game takes place in the first person. It has been noted that the wii-mote in this section of the game acts like Harry's head. You do an up-down motion with the wii-mote to nod a yes, and do a side-to-side motion to shake a no. I think that's a bit cool.
Enika
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Enika »

Whitney wrote:There is no combat in the game so I doubt Harry would get any weapons...maybe different tools to solve puzzles?
You're right! That totally slipped my mind. But yeah, different tools to solve puzzles would be the alternative to that, haha.
crucifix

Post by crucifix »

Terminus wrote:Can anyone think of the possible significance these questions might have, aside from the immediate gameworld-altering implications?
i believe all of these questions are moreso for the game alteration, and don't have much bearing on the storyline or anything - unless it's affected by in-game changes.

theories:

- are you able to make friends easily?
no idea. maybe if you answer "yes," it'll throw you a curveball by having the supporting characters react badly toward you. or the opposite?

- do you prefer abstract ideas?
might relate to the surroundings and how much they distort.

- have you ever role-played during sex?
apart from this being a really creepy question, i have a feeling it'll most pertain to the monsters' appearances.

- are you fond of having a drink?
addictions? guilt? not sure.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
Koshercrackers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Koshercrackers »

Betcha a buck that if you answer "yes" to the role-playing question, you get hawt Cybil.
Naissus
Just Passing Through

Post by Naissus »

They should give the player the option of being able to use weapons in the form of a question.
[url=http://img4.imageshack.us/i/n64362072821124427438.jpg/][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9635/n64362072821124427438.jpg[/img][/url]
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

"Do you frequently have violent thoughts toward people or things that anger you?"

I think that if you answer "yes" to that kind of question, they should take away any and all combat for you. That way, the game is tailor-suited to unnerve you in every way possible.
BurningWitch
Just Passing Through

Post by BurningWitch »

Koshercrackers wrote:Betcha a buck that if you answer "yes" to the role-playing question, you get hawt Cybil.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious.

Are those the only questions or what?
Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Whitney »

BurningWitch wrote:
Koshercrackers wrote:Betcha a buck that if you answer "yes" to the role-playing question, you get hawt Cybil.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious.

Are those the only questions or what?
There are others but those were the only ones stated in the ign hands on article.
My Websites!
Image Image Image
RedPyramidThing
Just Passing Through

Post by RedPyramidThing »

I immagine they will do everyting in their power to keep a lot of these questions secret. Already, IGN is able to point out very obvious differences to the game based only on a few questions (i.e. the cafe becomes a bar if you enjoy a drink, etc.). If I remember correctly, I remember an article where the author was surprised on just how many questions he had to answer before the game started.

I'm curious if these questions will be the only thing that alters the game world, or if your actions throughout will also have an effect (i.e. dialogue options, you have a flashback with more questions at different intervals, moral choices, how well you solve puzzles, how often you use the flashlight, how much you run, etc.)
Some fear death. Others pray for it.
Terminus
Gravedigger

Post by Terminus »

The (entire?) questionnaire was revealed in part 1 of IGN's gameplay walkthrough. I updated the questions in the first post of this thread. Since it is possible that this may be all of the questions, I am going to put them in spoiler tags.

*Edit* It has been confirmed that the intro is not the last time that we will see Dr. K. There may be more questions later in the game.
Last edited by Terminus on 03 Jul 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

One thing I've noticed after viewing the trailer and reading Dr. K's profile is how the questions seem to relate directly to Dr. K himself.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
-I make friends easily.

__________ out on the 80s New York socialite scene

-Having a drink helps me relax.

This trailer shows him pouring himself a drink and taking a sip at it before telling the receptionist preparing himself for the new patient.

-I always listen to other people's feelings.

He's a psychiatrist.

-I prefer abstract ideas.

Ditto.

-I have enjoyed role-play during sex.

Privately he subjected __________ humiliating __________ experiments

-Working to a plan or schedule is best.

Receptionist: The new patient is here. They're early.
Dr. K: That's fine.

-I have never cheated on a partner.

In the 80s there were rumors of an affair with his patient __________ (the actress and daughter of __________ ).
It's possible that Dr. K simply built the questionnaire around his own character, but then again, this is supposed to be Silent Hill. Whose "shattered memories" exactly are they?
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
Loveless_Dogg

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

Almost makes me think of a eperythrozoon infection caused by Pig Farming and handling of Piggy poo. In turn, this infection causes Mirror Syndrome.
Value your failures more than your successes. Successes only last until someone screws them up. Failures are forever. She left...and...I'm lost.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

>Whose "shattered memories" exactly are they?
Yours? Mine?

I have the strange feeling that this game will circle around the player more than we expect. This feeling has my warmest welcome.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

Jonipoon wrote:>Whose "shattered memories" exactly are they?
Yours? Mine?

I have the strange feeling that this game will circle around the player more than we expect. This feeling has my warmest welcome.
If I understand the developers correctly, the phrase "Shattered Memories" has a dual meaning. You are talking about one thing, but I am talking about the other.

I am more interested in the main plot. The altering game experience is nice to have, but I don't believe that is what will make or break the plot.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.