Developer Walkthrough: Gameplay Footage.

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

Right, I'm bowing out of this section now. Don't want to know aaaaaaany more before I play it - it looks too good to spolierfy before I even buy it!
Last edited by Vixx on 03 Jun 2009, edited 1 time in total.
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
Matt S
Gravedigger

Post by Matt S »

Looks great. The peeking through doors part is great, and it looks like exploration is back. Cannot wait!
RIP Silent Hills
Ratiocinator
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ratiocinator »

Okay, I only watched the first two walkthroughs (up to Harry meeting Cybil, I couldn't resist!) and I must say: I LOVE the character animations/facial details. They're great! Even when Harry pulls up his jacket to pull out the cellphone looked good: The jacket opened and flopped back onto his chest. I'm really happy with the character animations, facial detail and voice acting.

However, the BG music was getting annoying--the same song for both IGN videos: Dun dun dunnnnn.... Dun dun dunnnnn.... Dun dun dunnnnn.... Dun dun dunnnnn....
Touch Coma
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Touch Coma »

Its better than SH3's intro level music at least.

Anyone else notice the "DO NOT CLIMB" sign on the fence harry jumped in the ally? I LOLed at that pretty hard.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Nvixurx.jpg?1[/IMG]
Clyde
Just Passing Through

Post by Clyde »

The Otherworld transition looks a lot better during gameplay than it did in the trailer. This makes me feel easier.

I get the feeling like they might have been rushed while playing, since Harry (or the player) didn't spend much time examining anything unnecessary on their way through the demo.

Loving Harry's voice actor so far. Bitch-Cybil wasn't bad either.

I was expecting more questions on the personality survey, but maybe it was shortened for the sake of time restraints.

Another thing that kinda turned me off were the giant blue helper boxes that would explain how things worked within the game as you play. I thought Climax was trying to AVOID things like this is order to add more "immersion" for the player? The least they could do is change the design of the boxes. They appear so out of place.
BurningWitch
Just Passing Through

Post by BurningWitch »

Touch Coma wrote:Its better than SH3's intro level music at least.

Anyone else notice the "DO NOT CLIMB" sign on the fence harry jumped in the ally? I LOLed at that pretty hard.
Yeah, it basically screamed "go this way".
Clyde wrote: I get the feeling like they might have been rushed while playing, since Harry (or the player) didn't spend much time examining anything unnecessary on their way through the demo.
Definitely, whenever the instruction boxes came up, who ever was playing pressed the button a billion times resulting a "beep beep beep" sound as if they already knew and to hurry it a long, in fact I couldn't read somethings because they rushed through it so quickly. They obviously knew where everything was and where to go.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Sounds like the whole opposite-personality thing makes sense. I mean if you put "NO" to "I make friends easily", an overly friendly Cybil might be intimidating to you.

The people testing the game were rushing because they don't get much time in the booth. They're just trying to get as much footage as possible.

I think it looks absolutely fantastic. My only concern is the fact that the monsters are only in the dark world and the puzzles are only in the light... I'm worried that that could destroy the sense of dread when exploring the place, more dreading the next ice-world transition rather than hoping there are no monsters around, and once you're in the ice-world, you'd expect the monsters so the surprise wouldn't be there. That's my only real worry.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
angevil
Just Passing Through

Post by angevil »

I am NOT impressed by graphics, ice transition, icy look, monsters..

Graphics are bad, like PS1 or maybe PS2. I know there are details and you can read and look at posters, but the whole rooms look really bad. Monsters are not scary, they look too generic..I don`t like the ice..everything looks like there is almost no color.

I liked voice actors and character design, though.

I would have prefered a real remake of SH1 after seeing this. Origins looked better than this. This video walkthrough doesn`t have a SH feel to me, it gives me the sam feel that the first videos from Origins gave me, when the first team was working on it.

I have hope that the game gets better later because I don`t like what I have seen.

This sucks, SH1 looked better than this.
Last edited by angevil on 03 Jun 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Silent Evil
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Silent Evil »

Ratiocinator wrote:However, the BG music was getting annoying--the same song for both IGN videos: Dun dun dunnnnn.... Dun dun dunnnnn.... Dun dun dunnnnn.... Dun dun dunnnnn....
Yeah, that did get a bit redundant. Good piece of music though, if there remains one constant in the entire ongoing SH franchise it's that Akira Yamaoka will turn out a great music score each time.

I'm hoping it's just temp music though for the demo, as you might have noticed they recycled a few tracks from SH:O during the cut scenes.

A shame they weren't able to record the audio from the Wii-mote, where all your cell-phone audio will be emenating from.
Follow me on: deviantART | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

>Right, I'm bowing out of this section now. Don't want to know aaaaaaany more before I play it - it looks too good to spolierfy before I even buy it!

Me too. As soon as I realized this video showed the actual start of game I stopped watching.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
stitchedlamb
Just Passing Through

Post by stitchedlamb »

I have to admit I'm intrigued, but just as I originally thought, the icy Otherworld just doesn't do it for me. Perhaps (hopefully) it will get much more frightening as the game wears on, but it's dreadfully dull now.

And the chase mechanic looks like it has the potential to get annoying. There is a fine line when it comes to helplessness and it making the experience scarier, or just more frustrating. It looks like outrunning these creatures and coming away unscathed is next to impossible, considering their speed. Limping around half the game is NOT my idea of fun :roll:

The questionnaire was disappointingly short too.

Something else that kind of threw me was Harry's attitude. One minute he's panicking over Cheryl, and the next he's enjoying a swimsuit calendar. I don't care how voracious your sexual appetite is, if you're freaking out over just loosing your daughter, you're not going to stop to oogle a picture. The player might (and I realize that's the point) but him making that happy grunting sound totally took me out of the moment. A completely unrealistic reaction.
NothingLikeSleep

Post by NothingLikeSleep »

I do like the defensive mechanisms Harry can use to repel enemies. I was a bit turned off by the redundancy of the chase scene, it was just ice and blue and you are spoon fed which wall to climb or door to exit. The scene in which the monster was following Harry from above was creepy and the suspense is definitely there (the look behind option I will be too afraid to use, but its an effective addition). Harry's conversations on his phone were annoying.

The music made me yawn and seemed generic (obviously), also redundant. The graphics do not bother me and the moments of exploration were decent (loved the transition to the ice world). And as Lamb said, I also don't want to be limping around the game. Even through silent hill protagonists are supposed to feel vulnerable (except for maybe Alex) I still felt semi confident as James with a pistol and a clip. Just going through the game as a scared bunny gets old and I hope I do not lose interest through frustration because of this. The whole camera used to search other realities was lame and cliche. Climax is like a modern pop star botching a classic. Like when Madonna "re-imagined" American Pie.

I'm excited for Alan Wake
Last edited by NothingLikeSleep on 03 Jun 2009, edited 6 times in total.
Silent_Hill_Tourist
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Silent_Hill_Tourist »

I did find it funny that it appears from the chase sequence that Harry has some kind of background in free running.
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Juridawn/Graphics/justatouristoptimized.jpg[/img]
Meeks
Just Passing Through

Post by Meeks »

I'm honestly not impressed yet =( I was super excited but after seeing how you have to avoid monsters..^^; meh! but I do like the camera, and everything else. just don't like seeing the monsters in group. I guess I'm not used to seeing so many monsters at the same time in a SH game.
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

I couldn't watch the video - too many lagg, IGN is having some problems or is it my computer? Since the video was laggig I turned to look at some pictures:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
What's up with that...?

EDIT: it look's like that it's not working, just copy and paste it to take a look.............¬¬
Last edited by Mephisto on 03 Jun 2009, edited 2 times in total.
NothingLikeSleep

Post by NothingLikeSleep »

Terminus wrote:
The graphics do look like a low-res PS3 game. They look more detailed and more realistic than Homecoming's visuals.
LOL. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kyou
Just Passing Through

Post by Kyou »

Didn't like much what I saw, hope it improves before the release.
Y hi thar =)
Kairu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Kairu »

I'm sold, it looks a hell of a lot better than Clock Tower 3 and Haunting Ground as it looks like the game is giving you the sensation of being chased. I hope the monsters aren't just in the otherworld, as someone said, it would make the game predicable and frustrating. The first seen with the monsters was cool, but where's all the mind fuckery? No strechures, wheelchairs or abstract art, it better not just be ice or that will be disappointing. No more videos for me now though, I haven't spoilt a SH game for myself yet, the intros fine for me.
flown
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by flown »

i like this alot. I'im simply hoping i'm gonna be able to keep on running and exploring for as long as i want and there's not gonna be a certain sequence you will have to follow to gain any progress in the game, at least let it not be too strict. if my dream comes through this is gonna be a game i'll be playing for all eternity
Long before the existence of Silent Hill, the ground there was seen as sacred by native americans and it was the place where rituals occured...

[img]http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss323/vollublevolar/homecoming-1-5-1-1.jpg[/img]
the windmill
Just Passing Through

Post by the windmill »

Kairu wrote:The first seen with the monsters was cool, but where's all the mind fuckery? No strechures, wheelchairs or abstract art, it better not just be ice or that will be disappointing.
I agree!
The monsters looked great and also the icy look was fine but I hope that it won't become repetitive and that the game will have its bizarre moments. However the chase was awesome and scary as hell!

The graphics and presentation are very good for a Wii-title.
I'm so gonna get this game!!