Ugh - PSP version looks horrible. Will PS2 be the same?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Ugh - PSP version looks horrible. Will PS2 be the same?

Post by NanayaShiki »

Everything shown for this game on the Wii looks amazing. Yet, the PSP screens just do not impress. I worry just how much they will change. I know they say they are working to make it a completely different control scheme and whatnot for the Sony versions, but I hope it's just changed to match the controller and not changed so much that it isn't as good.

But I didn't make a new topic just for that. I still have hope... the PS2. I really hope it looks better than the PSP version. They don't seem to have pushed the PSP version to the limit the PSP can go and I really want them to push the PS2 version. It just looks like a low-res port.

Does anyone have any information to support that the PS2 version will be different from the PSP version? Please?
Last edited by NanayaShiki on 06 Jun 2009, edited 1 time in total.
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

I got this one:

The PS2 version will allow you to have the Wii-like experience of playing the game on your television.

Otherwise, I see little reason to expect exactly what the PSP gives you with slightly better graphics.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

So you think the PS2 and PSP version will be very different?

I just show worry about them being the same thing because they say that a different team is working on the sony versions. Meaning the same team is working on them. Clearly the Wii is the main platform for this game. So I'm worried that PS2 will not be all it can be because they don't feel like making 3 versions of the same game and are just using a 2nd version that can play on both PSP and PS2. Plus, the PSP version is clearly not the best a PSP game can be.

I dunno, I just find it weird that we are seeing PSP things before PS2.
Endri
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Endri »

You have to keep in mind, however, that, hardware speaking, the PSP and PS2 are pretty much almost the same. The main differences are highlighted in each console, like, the CPU clock is higher in the PS2, but the video resolution, video buffer depth and vram memory are higher in the PSP. Meaning that, to make the game development simple, it's more conceiving to the developers (since they deal with dead lines) to create the entire game based in one platform, then re-adapt whatever is necessary to acomodate the same game in another platform.

In other words, I'm afraid to say that, I'm a hundred percent sure that the PS2 version I'll be entirely based off the PSP version. Sorry.

This also happened with Sonic Unleashed. The Wii and PS2 versions of the game were developed by a diferent company. The results? The Wii and PS2 versions were exactly the same, while both been completly different from their 360 and PS3 counterparts.

That's pretty much what happens in the game industry.
http://endri.webs.com
[spoiler]Harry's name isn't Harry. Harry is just a nickname. His name is Harrold.
James' actual occupation is clerk.
Heather smoked until the age of 17.
EDIT - INFLAMATORY - T.
Travis is virgin.
Alex's a uninteresting character.

The bushes in the original SMB are also the clouds.

artic[b]UNO[/b], zap[b]DOS[/b], mol[b]TRES[/b][/spoiler]
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

It'd be nice if I actually knew what the hell this thread was about before clicking on it...
nobody is anybody
Touch Coma
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Touch Coma »

I don't think it will be that different IMO. Something like the "key and can" puzzle can easily be mapped onto the ps2 sticks with limited movement and depth/functionality. They can totally improve the graphics for the ps2 version no problem. Why would they port a psp game before it is released? thats just bad business.

The PSP version graphically looks horrible. Those jaggies!? Why lower your standards? Its understandable if your constantly on the go or cant afford a Wii/ps2 but ugh. Hmph, Who knows, it might be cleaned up by the release.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

VIVIsect wrote:It'd be nice if I actually knew what the hell this thread was about before clicking on it...
Did I take up THAT much of your time? Fine, I'll fix the title.

Anyway, what you guys say make sense. I still feel really worried about the PS2 version. I hope, at least, we still get the full power of the Psyche Profiler and all the same things that look amazing on the Wii version. If I get that, I can live with bad graphics and watered down gameplay/puzzles.
Terminus
Gravedigger

Post by Terminus »

NanayaShiki wrote:
VIVIsect wrote:It'd be nice if I actually knew what the hell this thread was about before clicking on it...
Did I take up THAT much of your time? Fine, I'll fix the title.

Anyway, what you guys say make sense. I still feel really worried about the PS2 version. I hope, at least, we still get the full power of the Psyche Profiler and all the same things that look amazing on the Wii version. If I get that, I can live with bad graphics and watered down gameplay/puzzles.
Don't forget loading screens. The PS2 and PSP versions will probably have loading screens, which the Wii version does not have.
Kairu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Kairu »

I doubt that, they can both be streamed of the disc as is the case with the Wii version, I don't think that the ps2 will have problems with that, though draw distance may be affected resulting in pop up textures, depends how detailed it is.
GrievousGarland

Post by GrievousGarland »

Err... I looked at those screens and it looks almost exactly like the Wii version. Maybe my eyesight isn't very good, or you guys are being too picky. =/

Just buy a wii if you care so much. They aren't that expensive anyway and are such a pretty white color. I love mine. ^_^
If you don't like any of the games, there is always Virtual Console. You can always find something you like on there.

but forgive my wii propaganda. I'm sure you'll be able to enjoy it on any console if Climax handles it as well as they say.
Kairu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Kairu »

Haha, the irony to buy a Wii for a Silent Hill game is that I traded it for a PSP and Origins (that was one of the reasons I traded, i'm no fan boy). Now I'm considering getting another Wii because all of a sudden there are games I want for it recently.
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

NanayaShiki wrote: Did I take up THAT much of your time?
No. It's just obnoxious. Thx.
nobody is anybody
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Making a vague thread title is shitty etiquette.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

GrievousGarland wrote:Just buy a wii if you care so much. They aren't that expensive anyway and are such a pretty white color. I love mine.
They are expensive to me. $250 is just not within my budget to spend right now.
alone in the town wrote:Making a vague thread title is shitty etiquette.
I fixed it. I fixed it. Jeez.
GrievousGarland

NanayaShiki wrote:
GrievousGarland wrote:Just buy a wii if you care so much. They aren't that expensive anyway and are such a pretty white color. I love mine.
They are expensive to me. $250 is just not within my budget to spend right now.
alone in the town wrote:Making a vague thread title is shitty etiquette.
I fixed it. I fixed it. Jeez.
Is prostituting an option? Renting out your body to 5 fat chicks for 50 bucks a piece would easily get you a Wii, and depending on how good looking you are you could adjust the price or number slept with to make things easier on you.

Just an idea.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

GrievousGarland wrote:
Is prostituting an option? Renting out your body to 5 fat chicks for 50 bucks a piece would easily get you a Wii, and depending on how good looking you are you could adjust the price or number slept with to make things easier on you.

Just an idea.
Well, that IS how I got my 360.
GrievousGarland

NanayaShiki wrote:
GrievousGarland wrote:

Just an idea.
Well, that IS how I got my 360.
See! and since the wii is cheaper than a 360 anyway the process should be a little easier.
You're never without hope if you can make a livin' being ah ho! (that's my motto) :P
Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

Wii version ain't shining either. The game is running on Origins engine most likely, given the fact they immediatly start developing after Origins. It's not about the graphics people :)
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Obviously, there's going to be some loss. The game is designed to make a whole new horror experience by taking advantage of the Wii's features. I mean the game is entirely designed around the Wii's controls and features and it's coming to PS2 and PSP I think mainly to make further sales, but also it'd then sell to the Silent Hill fans who haven't got a Wii as well as the Wii owners who would be mostly made up of newcomers to the series (not me, I have the Wii and I'm a long time SH fan, heh!).

I think what people don't realise is that the Wii's lack of processing power isn't entirely to do with cheaper console manufacturing - like the DS, it gives the developers the opportunity to innovate, to gamble, because currently on 360 and PS3 a lot of developers have to stick to what they know sells else lose a lot of money due to high development costs.

The PSP version's screens look like any PSP game really, so I'm sure visually it won't be a problem (could do with a grain filter though). PS2 won't look as good as the Wii version obviously, because of the vast amount of technology used, but I'm sure it won't be far off. However I still think that both the PSP and PS2 versions will be a lacking experience when you can't point the torch with your own hand, listen to the phone and radio static through your controller, use the pointer for puzzles, throw enemies off with motions, etc.
Endri
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Endri »

GrievousGarland wrote:I'm sure you'll be able to enjoy it on any console if Climax handles it as well as they say.
That's the problem. Another company is handling the lo-res versions. If it was Climax, we could've rest assured, which is not the case here.
http://endri.webs.com
[spoiler]Harry's name isn't Harry. Harry is just a nickname. His name is Harrold.
James' actual occupation is clerk.
Heather smoked until the age of 17.
EDIT - INFLAMATORY - T.
Travis is virgin.
Alex's a uninteresting character.

The bushes in the original SMB are also the clouds.

artic[b]UNO[/b], zap[b]DOS[/b], mol[b]TRES[/b][/spoiler]