Wow.

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

19pack
Just Passing Through

Post by 19pack »

I really like the Raw Shock 'tailored enemy' idea.

If it works in Shattered memories, I would personally love to see it continue in each subsequent Silent Hill game and become a new series staple. No, not the same child-like 'Raw Shocks' as in Shattered memories every time a new game rolls around but the same essential core idea - enemies that can and will change depending on YOUR actions as a player, healthily combined with the game's character's own psyche/Otherworld themes as well.

Imagine a new SH game's nurses (or nurse equivalents) that look different to each player, one player may see something that looks a bit more like a SH2 bobblehead nurse, while another player might see something reminiscent of a SH1 puppet nurse. Some might not even see an enemy as easily identifiable as your typical Silent Hill game 'nurse' but perhaps something more like the Silent Hill 4 'patients', or an amalgam of all types. It could work for Canine enemies, Lying Figure and perhaps even the game's boss encounters.

It could go so far as not 'just' being a visual aesthetic change to the enemy design but their behaviours could adapt and evolve also! If you attack more than you run away, the enemies become more adept at blocking your attacks and that would force you to improvise and think your way as a player into finding new ways to dispatch familiar foes or on the flip side of that, if you run away too much the same enemies you used to be able to outrun easily now can catch up to you and become frighteningly faster.

Wow...I'm almost feeling now like if Shattered memories doesn't have any of that I'd feel slightly disappointed...if all they give us is Raw Shocks that just look a bit different by the end of the game.
l33tspaniard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by l33tspaniard »

I like to think that by the end of the game we've been profiled so extensively that Nowhere features locations from our actual lives.

...that was just a random thought, but if that were possible it would be the mindfuckiest of the mindfucks.
SGTCOOL
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SGTCOOL »

Complaining that the psyche profile will "have limits" is a bit ridiculous. Every game "has limits," even massive games with hundreds of possibilities such as Mass Effect will eventually lead to seeing the same things happen over and over again. It's about creating as many combinations of different possible events as they can to create the illusion of keeping the game as fresh and unpredictable for as long as possible. It's not quite possible to have infinite replay value. Yet...Unless you count MMOs that never end.
AgentNein
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AgentNein »

Here's a worry I've had: If only in certain 'action' moments of the game will the monsters show up, then does that mean that every 'exploration' section of the game will be entirely devoid of enemies? Is this the case or did I miss something?

Because if it is indeed the case, then it would rob the Silent Hill universe of one of it's most important elements, and that's tension. One of the things I most appreciate about the franchise is not knowing what is going to be in the next room... anyone else worried about this?
Justice has a name, and the name it has, besides justice, is Captain Hammer!
Koshercrackers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Koshercrackers »

One of the points that Tomm Hulett made was that you couldn't really predict when you would re-enter the Otherworld. You'd just be walking down a hallway or whatever, and you'd see it coming, and would have to run. I think that wil keep up the tension nicely.

In addition, I want to see just how sensitive the Psyche Profile is. How, exactly, does it work the way it does? Will it be able to predict our actions, in one form or another?
AgentNein
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AgentNein »

Koshercrackers wrote:One of the points that Tomm Hulett made was that you couldn't really predict when you would re-enter the Otherworld. You'd just be walking down a hallway or whatever, and you'd see it coming, and would have to run. I think that wil keep up the tension nicely.

In addition, I want to see just how sensitive the Psyche Profile is. How, exactly, does it work the way it does? Will it be able to predict our actions, in one form or another?
Here's hoping I don't wake up in the middle of the night with my Wii watching me sleep...
Justice has a name, and the name it has, besides justice, is Captain Hammer!
Chris Sunderland
Historical Society Historian

Post by Chris Sunderland »

I can imagine that's more intense than, lets say, hearing an enemy. "Oh I found the key, better go unlock the door...'Bam Ice in your face, better run bitch!"
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/2iqehhj.jpg[/img]
19pack
Just Passing Through

Post by 19pack »

Sorry, did I mis-read that quote from Tom Hulett? Did he mean that you may be presented the opportunity at times to outrun the Otherworld, and stay in regular Silent Hill if successful? Or would it be more like a Crash Bandicoot rolling ball level where you just have to avoid the effects the freezing over has over Harry's immediate environment for a short time span (like a big block of ice gradually choking an entire corridor you happen to be standing in) before you are safe and it then carries on the transition without imminent danger to the player?
Here's hoping I don't wake up in the middle of the night with my Wii watching me sleep...
That may be possible if this game or a future Silent Hill Wii game uses that heart rate monitor! Well, to a degree. For it to work you'd have to have your Wii close to your bed, or get a wireless attachment for the heart rate monitor.

You could load up the Silent Hill game, and before you go to sleep attach the heart rate monitor to your finger and select a 6 or 7 hour scanning cycle on the main menu, then drift off to sleep. All night the game could be taking your pulse, and may occasionally make the odd creepy noise quietly from your TV speakers as a test to see if it wakes you up or alters your sleeping heart rate. It should also be able to tell from your heart rate whether you are asleep or awake.

Then, in the morning it examines all the data you've given it saves it, so you can later load your existing game or start a new game using the data.

Still, I have no idea how relevant your sleeping heart rate could possibly be for a game like Silent Hill-If it's connected while you're actually playing it could sync the music up to your heartbeat and certainly be able to tell when you're scared.
Wilson
Just Passing Through

Post by Wilson »

AgentNein wrote:Here's a worry I've had: If only in certain 'action' moments of the game will the monsters show up, then does that mean that every 'exploration' section of the game will be entirely devoid of enemies? Is this the case or did I miss something?

Because if it is indeed the case, then it would rob the Silent Hill universe of one of it's most important elements, and that's tension. One of the things I most appreciate about the franchise is not knowing what is going to be in the next room... anyone else worried about this?
I was worried about this, prior to watching one of the videos in:

http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18976

When comparing the section with the otherworld transition in the original IGN walkthrough presented a month or two back, it seems that enemy placement has been mixed up. The Raw Shock in the Comicon footage seems to be on Harry's tail by the get-go. This doesnt appear to be the case in the IGN video.

So to answer the question; I'll be only worried about it come the otherworld freeze-over, for obvious reasons, but for the reason that if enemy patrol paths are never the same no matter how many times I play through the game, it's enough tension, and then some.

If I died, and then continued from where I saved (we don't even know if this is how
it'll work really), for all we know the enemies could be in completely different locations, meaning theres little way to be prepared; which is frustratingly satisfying.