SHHF Exclusive Interview with Tomm Hulett - READ IT HERE!

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Only that isn't a good point b/c the Silent Hill series follows one continuous storyline, save for those which clearly do not. Otherwise discussions would be limited only to each particular game and thenceforth wouldn't be considered a "series."
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Hannah
Hope House Careworker

Post by Hannah »

GrievousGarland wrote:Then why not just say no? He answered the one on what he thought of her (and it seems he does think highly). =/

So why would he intentionally leave out a character he liked?
Lisa's a nice character and all that, but if she doesn't fit into this game, she doesn't. Not saying strictly 'no' about a character doesn't mean it's a definite yes that she's going to show up. Theorizing that every other girl is Lisa (remember when Dahlia was Lisa?) is starting to get pathetic to watch.

The same thing happened with RE5. Everyone was theorizing the blonde woman in the trailer and/or the bird woman was Sherry Birkin or Alexia. The developers didn't give a definite answer until days before the game launched, and it turned out to be neither of the two suspected.
¿Qué carajo estás haciendo aquí? ¡Lárgate, cabrón!

Y'know what I don't hate?
rm2kking
Historical Society Historian

Post by rm2kking »

MMY wrote:>TOMM: The movie exists in its own reality outside of the games, so no.
I'm not criticizing, but he said he worked on Silent Hill: Homecoming, and it took much from Silent Hill: Movie. I'm curious why he'd incorporate influences from a "reality outside of the games" into one of the games w/in the series canon, and then go to say he wouldn't use imagery from the film in a game that clearly isn't w/in the series canon.

Does that not make sense to anyone else?
He seemed to only use the visuals from the movie, not actual story elements.
GrievousGarland

Post by GrievousGarland »

Hannah wrote:
GrievousGarland wrote:Then why not just say no? He answered the one on what he thought of her (and it seems he does think highly). =/

So why would he intentionally leave out a character he liked?
Lisa's a nice character and all that, but if she doesn't fit into this game, she doesn't. Not saying strictly 'no' about a character doesn't mean it's a definite yes that she's going to show up. Theorizing that every other girl is Lisa (remember when Dahlia was Lisa?) is starting to get pathetic to watch.

The same thing happened with RE5. Everyone was theorizing the blonde woman in the trailer and/or the bird woman was Sherry Birkin or Alexia. The developers didn't give a definite answer until days before the game launched, and it turned out to be neither of the two suspected.
Ugh. I was only saying it was possible, Christ. I'd prefer if none of the girls we have seen so far are Lisa, and that she will be revealed later. This was the only time I theorized that, and I still don't like that idea. It's only a possibility. I wasn't the first to suggest such a thing either.

and come off it. If they changed Dahlia as much as they did to make her fit into the game again (she is apparently no longer the mother of Alessa), they are certainly going to do what they can for Lisa. I doubt she'd need much work to fit either.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

Is Alessa even going to be in this? Does anybody know for sure? Where did you hear that Dahlia isn't her mother?
I dreamed I lay in a dark valley and all around me were the titanic forms of archangels. I heard distant voices and I knew these supernatural warriors were chanting a litany...
"We are the Warriors at the End of Time. We are the lost, the last, the unkind. We are the Warriors on the Edge of Time and we're tired, we're tired... We're tired of making love..."
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

^ I think he was trying to say something like Dahlia is dead, thus the "she is apparently no longer the mother of Alessa"
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

GrievousGarland wrote: If they changed Dahlia as much as they did to make her fit into the game again (she is apparently no longer the mother of Alessa), they are certainly going to do what they can for Lisa. I doubt she'd need much work to fit either.
I don't think so.
GrievousGarland

rm2kking wrote:
GrievousGarland wrote: If they changed Dahlia as much as they did to make her fit into the game again (she is apparently no longer the mother of Alessa), they are certainly going to do what they can for Lisa. I doubt she'd need much work to fit either.
I don't think so.
Alrighty then. I never said you had to agree with me. >.>
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

I do not disagree with you.
rm2kking wrote:Is Alessa even going to be in this? Does anybody know for sure? Where did you hear that Dahlia isn't her mother?
Mephisto wrote:^ I think he was trying to say something like Dahlia is dead, thus the "she is apparently no longer the mother of Alessa"
rm2kking wrote: I don't think so.
I'm just wondering where this Alessa information is coming from.
GrievousGarland

Oh, forgive me. I was a little vague with that. I have no details on Alessa. Just was assuming because Dahlia doesn't look to be old enough to have a 14 year old daughter anymore.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

Oh alight, I getcha.
I dreamed I lay in a dark valley and all around me were the titanic forms of archangels. I heard distant voices and I knew these supernatural warriors were chanting a litany...
"We are the Warriors at the End of Time. We are the lost, the last, the unkind. We are the Warriors on the Edge of Time and we're tired, we're tired... We're tired of making love..."
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

MMY wrote:Only that isn't a good point b/c the Silent Hill series follows one continuous storyline, save for those which clearly do not. Otherwise discussions would be limited only to each particular game and thenceforth wouldn't be considered a "series."
Well, it's really only Origins, 1, and 3 that make a continuous storyline. Although the other games do take place in the same world.

All the same, that isn't the point he is trying to make at all. Every Silent Hill game has multiple endings. Thus, every game branches off with multiple canons at the end. Clearly, Silent Hill 3 does not take place in the same canon as the Bad ending of Silent Hill. Just like Silent Hill 4 does not take place in the same canon as the Leave ending in Silent Hill 2.

So what he is trying to say is that although this game clearly does not take place in any world we have seen so far, that doesn't make it any less canon. Granted, with that logic we can consider anything we want canon. But is that such a bad thing. I may be guilty of it myself a lot (especially lately) and this has made me start thinking. Maybe we should stop being so uptight about our canon nazism.

So now both the main point and a side point of your post has my reply.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Clearly, Silent Hill 3 does not take place in the same canon as the Bad ending of Silent Hill.
This is the only actual example of there being a "split continuity": Any other ending from any other game is applicable w/in the rest of the series.

So, no, there are not 486 [(5 x 5! + 3! = 486 — I'm not a mathemagician so I'm not 100% certain that's the correct way to equate this, but you ought to have the idea] possible continuities w/in the Silent Hill series.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

They are more like alternate futures.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

MMY wrote:>Clearly, Silent Hill 3 does not take place in the same canon as the Bad ending of Silent Hill.
This is the only actual example of there being a "split continuity": Any other ending from any other game is applicable w/in the rest of the series.

So, no, there are not 486 [(5 x 5! + 3! = 486 — I'm not a mathemagician so I'm not 100% certain that's the correct way to equate this, but you ought to have the idea] possible continuities w/in the Silent Hill series.
Except the fact that all the endings can happen in the game and what happens in the game is to be considered canon, no? Therefore, there are many different continuities in the series.

I have no idea why that idea bugs you so much. It's a pretty basic and standard concept in anything that has multiple endings. There are other video game series out there that have sequels set in continuities that were not present in the first at all. The idea of this game taking place in a new world and still being canon shouldn't change anything.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

Not just videogames, the idea of an alternate future permeates most forms of entertainment. Star Trek has like 4 alternate futures, and the X-Men have like 7. Plus every characters ending in Mortal Kombat games contradict all of the other endings. You never know what really happened till the next one comes out. this works just the same with Silent Hill, and so should the idea of an alternate future. Actually, if you study quantum mechanics, alternate futures may actually exist.
Kairu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Kairu »

rm2kking wrote:alternate futures may actually exist

I watch Back to the Future as well. I see what your saying, but what actually is the argument here? You all seem to be saying the ssame thing but disagreeing with each other anyway.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

Kairu wrote:
rm2kking wrote:alternate futures may actually exist

I watch Back to the Future as well. I see what your saying, but what actually is the argument here? You all seem to be saying the ssame thing but disagreeing with each other anyway.
... what? MMY is the one we are having a disagreement with.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

I agree that the alternate future thing can exist in Silent Hill but I do also acknowledge the "true" endings. Just as there are possibly real alternate futures, your life as you experience it would be your "true" future. Works the same way.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

rm2kking wrote:I agree that the alternate future thing can exist in Silent Hill but I do also acknowledge the "true" endings. Just as there are possibly real alternate futures, your life as you experience it would be your "true" future. Works the same way.
Eh. Why do you think there has to be a "true" ending? I don't believe any of the Silent Hill endings are called "The True Ending". That would kinda ruin the whole thing. What gives someone the right to decide if the Leave ending or the In Water ending really happened?

No. All the endings really happened in that particular playthrough you just played. As it has been said and joked about before, the only real continuity the series has with it's endings are the UFO endings.