Possibly the best voice acting in the series?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Alessandro
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Alessandro »

I love Maria's voice!

But the va's have sounded great since SH3 in my opinion.
Kairu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Kairu »

^^Even Origins....?
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

When I think of the words 'voice', 'acting', and 'silent hill', the only character I can think of that was relatively good is Maria. Maybe Heather too, if a little annoying.
"Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
[size=84]The Gospel of Thomas, logion 7.[/size]
lumpo
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by lumpo »

Never really liked the voice acting, except Eileen and Homecomings. The other games would have been SO much better if the voice actors were. I mean, Silent Hill 2 could have been way better with a different Angela voice actor IMO. 3s problem was Douglas, he sounded like an idiot and takes way to many breathes when he says things. It didn't fit at all.
Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Number 7 »

With Angela they had a woman in her 40s try to play a 17 year old girl, and it shows. Team Silent's rational was that she sounded older because she had completely lost her innocence due to her rape or something like that. To be fair, I still like her acting and she's one of my favorite characters, but it's definitely distracting and I can see why a lot of people might hate her.

Douglas sounded perfect IMO.
"He's underground now. His new name is Number Seven."
Alessandro
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Alessandro »

Kairu wrote:^^Even Origins....?
Even Origins :)

Lisa sounded good IMO, even though people hate her voice. Dahlia sounded way better than in the original. I even liked the new Kaufman. Travis is the exception, but hey, you can't always win :P

About Angela... it IS distracting a bit.
In higher pitch she sounds okay, but then in lower pitch she sounds older than James >.<
Kairu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Kairu »

How did she lose her southen accent in SH1? I didn't origins Kaufmann, and Douglas' voice is perfect example of the voice matching the face/character. Anyone know who's doing slutty Dahlia yet?
Dark Sky
Just Passing Through

Post by Dark Sky »

"Huh?! Radio! What's going on with that radio?!"

Yeah the voice acting in SM does sound good! Homecoming did also have good voice acting, except maybe that black cop who just kept shouting "shee-yat!" all the time. We still enjoyed that.

I have to say that the stilted deadpan dialogue in SH1 and 2 with STUPIDLY long pauses between each line (why did computer games always used to have long pauses between each line of dialogue?!) only served to add to that dreamy, bizarre feel to the games, so I've never minded at all.
Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Number 7 »

I thought Wheeler sounded okay whenever the script wasn't forcing him to say something stereotypical like that. He sounded just like a normal african-american man. There really isn't much that's stereotypical beyond the "sheeyits" anyway, so it think those complaints are overrated, but that's a discussion for another thread.
Chris Sunderland
Historical Society Historian

Post by Chris Sunderland »

I always loved the acting post SH1, I think the monotone actually added to Silent Hill 2. James just wouldn't seem "dead to the world" if he had more emotional reactions, and when he did it felt real. SH3 had great acting itself, but the script was h.o.r.r.i.b.le. I've never wanted slap more video game charecters in the mouth than I did Heather and Claudia. SH4 was good even if Henry acted like he just smoked the best pot, liek EVER man. 0rigins story sucked, but the charecters were decent, the acting didn't suck that is to say. Homecoming was probably the best so far even if flawed at some points. They did a great job with Alex. From what I can tell SM seems like it will continue to imporve upon this aspect of the series.
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/2iqehhj.jpg[/img]
CreativeGuy
Just Passing Through

Post by CreativeGuy »

Lisa in the original Silent Hill had a great voice actor.
http://www.visitsilenthill.com
Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Number 7 »

^Really, I thought she was quite miscast. I wouldn't think that voice went with that person.
Raider Man

Post by Raider Man »

All the characters had been changed, I don't think the voice are better than SH1, but the reason of why did you like the voice from SH shattered memmories is because it's faster than SH1, every FMV in SH1, you have to wait 5 second for other one to speak, and the same for himself, the conversation between 2 persons was quite slow, but shattered memmories is a published game, so it must be good but not better than SH1, I wish they remade it well, just like TR annivarsary, no change between the chatacters, but adding some extra from the storyline...
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

It's not really a question of "Is it better than SH1?" No shit it's going to be. I mean, I lovelovelove the game, but the voice acting is atrocious. It's steadily getting better. SH: Homecoming had phenomenal voice acting. It's not quite on par with the voice acting of something like Metal Gear Solid, but not many things are. :P
I once was lost, but am now profound.
EpicPhaleg
Just Passing Through

Post by EpicPhaleg »

I feel like I've entered my Otherworld and am surrounded by skinless child-zombies! Those who like the voice acting of the new game...do you like it because it "relates to you" more e.g. the game being new and modern language, perhaps taylored for tween-late teen audience of this decade? And those who like the original, I'd like to know your reasons, too. Not that either party has to justify anything here.

I find the current voice acting in the demo shown at E3 somewhat polarises me from the game, let alone the crappy "oh poop.... really scary moment coming up!!" to be interupted by... "if you're a total retard and don't know what to do, wiggle your nunchuck now! oh, and you can't turn this anticlimatic tutorial off!"

What I mean is, the Japanese take on the Western dialogue was stale and corny, sure, somewhat dull and slow. But the voice acting itself wasn't bad in my opinion, I believe it was suited to the game's mood and characters. Ths modern remake just seems to have "improved" "trendy" dialogue and voice acting for the sake of it, and has been voiced in its own style rather than being shaped around the world.

I dunno about you, but I liked the old Harry, and Cybil more. Kauffman? Haven't noticed any real change. But with Harry I liked in the original that he was taking everything level headed, and at his own pace in the game as he tried to figure things out...same with James in SH2. The sense that they aren't your hero or likely protagonist in a videogame or potential Pepsi Max buzzwording sponsor, but like you're guiding a victim to his next punishment.
-Epic.....PHAIL(EG)!!!!!--
*=*
PyramidFace
Just Passing Through

Post by PyramidFace »

EpicPhaleg wrote:I dunno about you, but I liked the old Harry, and Cybil more. Kauffman? Haven't noticed any real change. But with Harry I liked in the original that he was taking everything level headed, and at his own pace in the game as he tried to figure things out...same with James in SH2. The sense that they aren't your hero or likely protagonist in a videogame or potential Pepsi Max buzzwording sponsor, but like you're guiding a victim to his next punishment.
It made absolutely no sense that Harry and James were oblivious to what was going on around them. reality was melting away and they were experiencing horrific hellscapes, yet they delivered dialogue like everything was fine. Sorry, that's "bad voice acting"
Koshercrackers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Koshercrackers »

^Agreed. It's hard to believe in a person who talks as if he's buying a carton of cigarettes while killing manifestations of his worst fears/deepest guilts.

Oh, and IMO, the final speech in SH2's Leave ending kicks some serious ass in terms of voicework.
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

I prefer the endearing, credible voice work from the earlier games.

But that isn't to say that SM's is sounding dreadful so far — it's not bad, but when it treads typicality, (ANGRY! Cybil and a suspiciously precocious Cheryl) it really delves on in there. I think there's more than way to portray an irritated cop without making it so...well, in lieu of a better sounding word, Hollywood.

Concerning Homecoming, it was pretty alright. Llana Barron did a very good job...not so keen on the whole confessional scene, though.
rm2kking
Historical Society Historian

Post by rm2kking »

I hope we get one of these:
"Huh... Cellphone... What's going on with my cellphone?" :lol:

No but seriously, the voice acting does seem top notch. I really like the voice they chose for Harry, it fits him perfectly.
EpicPhaleg
Just Passing Through

Post by EpicPhaleg »

I think someone touched upon a word I wanted to use but couldn't think of it.
The voice acting is good but a bit too Hollywood for my liking. I prefer quirky, imperfect, hesitant voice acting in video games but perhaps that's due to me having played games for over 20 years and being used to the old stuff.

It's just in my view there are things in this remake that on their own would be great standpoints (e.g. the voice acting in this is pretty good) but when you mix it all together something just doesn't seem right, just seemed forced. Like "oh it's new and it's gotta be hella cool we'll update the voice acting and completely alter the "otherworld". The environment, music, voice acting, TUTORIALS (guh) just seem cool on their own but don't mix together, seems like it's all done by teams working in seperate departments who don't communicate to each other. So as much as each area has been done great they don't match into one consistent product of a game. This is what seems to be the big difference between games like this by Climax and Silent Hill games done by the original Team Silent. With this Climax effort it seems to be lots of good eggs making one nasty omlette. Just my view though.
-Epic.....PHAIL(EG)!!!!!--
*=*