Comicon gameplay

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Whitney »

Hannah wrote:@lumpo - Demo players, as a rule, are terrible at the game they're demoing. I can't watch a L4D2 video without my eye twitching.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/20 ... on-09.aspx

This is the only other mention of SM being at Comic-con. So it was, in fact, there. Somewhere.

Maybe you guys just suck at I-spy. :x
I guess the people at the konami booth during the con didn't realize there was an actual demo set up somewhere. Dang it! I wanted to play it! LOL oh well I'll have to just wait until September :)
My Websites!
Image Image Image
Silent Evil
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Silent Evil »

Gee, I'm sorry you weren't able to play it Whitney. :(

I had no idea there was gonna be any kind of Silent Hill setup at the Con, or a Konami booth for that matter. Not that I was there, but I would've been interested nonetheless. Maybe you could've found out where it was on the official Comic-Con site, I know they had the schedules for all the panels and everything.
dr_worm wrote:no seriously where was it i was there all 5 days and i searched that place high and low the only game i saw that was worth playing was tmnt turtles in time remix but thats besides the point.
Whoa! :o I didn't know they remade Turtles In Time with updated 3D graphics!

The original is one of my favorite games of all time, now I MUST play this new one.
Follow me on: deviantART | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
l33tspaniard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by l33tspaniard »

If I can make a terrible joke, the Silent Hill demo was probably lurking on the otherside version of comic con. Ha, ha, ha.

anyway TURTLES IN TIME?! What is this?! And how have I heard nothing of it?!
Hannah
Hope House Careworker

Post by Hannah »

l33tspaniard wrote:If I can make a terrible joke, the Silent Hill demo was probably lurking on the otherside version of comic con. Ha, ha, ha.
Hah.

I've been researching, and it doesn't seem like a lot of others found SM at Comic-con. I have to wonder if it was a press-only thing. Press-only would be weird, considering absolutely no new information was revealed.
¿Qué carajo estás haciendo aquí? ¡Lárgate, cabrón!

Y'know what I don't hate?
l33tspaniard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by l33tspaniard »

Yeah it was bad...but I have a soft spot for bad. AHEM. Everything I've seen about SM being there has come from official sources. If it was open to the public there'd be several hundred crappy cell phone videos of it.

(also your sig entertains me, the foul mouthed spaniards were my favorite part of re4)
Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Whitney »

l33tspaniard wrote:If I can make a terrible joke, the Silent Hill demo was probably lurking on the otherside version of comic con. Ha, ha, ha.

anyway TURTLES IN TIME?! What is this?! And how have I heard nothing of it?!
LOL nice joke :)
My Websites!
Image Image Image
Matt S
Gravedigger

Post by Matt S »

This game looks great....hopefully all those awards translate into great sales...
RIP Silent Hills
stitchedlamb
Just Passing Through

Post by stitchedlamb »

The game looks amazing for the Wii, probably one of the most gorgeous ones yet, that I've seen at least. Gotta love that.

I'm still not sold on this Otherworld though. I'm hoping it changes along with the monsters, as the whole ice theme is really boring, imo. The frozen world doesn't look much different from reality, aside from the twisted objects and huge blocks of ice. Purely "meh" in that department.

Really wish you could hear what the messages are in the demo. Sound plays such a big part in the series, I'd love to see how they're handling the phonecalls and such. Plenty of opportunity for creepy moments, ala SH 3.
rm2kking
Historical Society Historian

Post by rm2kking »

This game is looking better and better! I can't wait for it to come out!

Things I like:
-The character animations are GREAT! I love just looking at Harry as he moves around.
-The flashlight effects are very realistic.
-Snow effects
-In the icy dark world, the snow remains suspended, frozen in the air. This is an awesome, otherworldly touch.
-The neat seen-through-ice effects.
-EVERYTHING about the flight scenes!
-The way "health status" is displayed.

Things I dislike:
-The little achievement sound.
-The hint/viewable object icons. The old games never had anything like this. It kind of takes away from the atmosphere.
-Puzzles look too easy. They may get harder as the game goes on, and I hope they do, but these ones look very simple.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

rm2kking wrote: -Puzzles look too easy. They may get harder as the game goes on, and I hope they do, but these ones look very simple.
Hopefully if there's more gameplay footage released we'll get to see a puzzle that's a little more involved than "here's three cans, one of them has a key in it" or "here's three jackets, one of them has a key in it"

I mean, if every puzzle is just picking up 3 items to find out which one contains a key I may cry.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Aavri
Just Passing Through

Post by Aavri »

Hey! Don't bash the puzzles yet. Silent hill 3 had a ton of :Collect item A, use it at Spot C, and some times collect item B to use with item A at spot C.

There was really only riddle four puzzles in that game. Each of them was easy even on Normal riddle mode....thought get it on hard riddle mode and the puzzles would melt your mind.

Come to think of it, I would like it if this game came back with the puzzle dificulty setting.
stopped_clock

Post by stopped_clock »

Aavri wrote:Hey! Don't bash the puzzles yet. Silent hill 3 had a ton of :Collect item A, use it at Spot C, and some times collect item B to use with item A at spot C.

There was really only riddle four puzzles in that game. Each of them was easy even on Normal riddle mode....thought get it on hard riddle mode and the puzzles would melt your mind.

Come to think of it, I would like it if this game came back with the puzzle dificulty setting.

But even so,
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
immolating the painting and gassing the bats
were still a lot more involved than: here is a locked door, here are 3 objects, guess which one has the key in it. Also the 3 cans were right next to the door. I get that they want to use the wiimote and everything, but at least make it a little challenging.

Interesting thing I noticed about the can puzzle, in the first gameplay clip I saw I think they were soda cans, whereas here they're beer cans. I guess that's the profiling in action.

A further thing, and this is really just a minor gripe, they keep talking about immersion being the aim here, so why not have Harry's arm reaching out and grabbing objects rather than a tiny hand cursor controlled presumably by Harry's PK Power!
Too cold to start a fire
And ride a pack of dogs
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

eh, not impressed. at all. hate that circle that's on screen the entire time, and allt eh icons and tiny mickey mouse hands that are on screen.

hope the PS2 version doesn't have that stuff in it.
SGTCOOL
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SGTCOOL »

No need to bash the puzzles yet. This was the beginning of the game, so think of the can puzzle as an introduction to the puzzle mechanics. Start simple by explaining with a rudimentary can puzzle to get the player used to the controls in this area, then as the game progresses make the puzzles more difficult. Most games do this, so most likely this is how it will work out. Hopefully. We've only seen the introduction, so who knows how the game will end up being an hour in.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

^I'm sure that's the case here, but there's always that fear...

I sincerely hope the puzzles aren't all, as Stopped_clock said, just checking out 3 items to find the key. I seriously doubt they would be, but there's always that whole "It's on Wii so me must make it simple!" mentality that most developers have. I hope Climax is not one of those developers.
stopped_clock wrote:A further thing, and this is really just a minor gripe, they keep talking about immersion being the aim here, so why not have Harry's arm reaching out and grabbing objects rather than a tiny hand cursor controlled presumably by Harry's PK Power!
Metroid Prime 3 (one of THE best Wii games) does this. It's pretty cool to see Samus' arm reaching out and manipulating the objects.
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

but there's always that whole "It's on Wii so me must make it simple!" mentality that most developers have. I hope Climax is not one of those developers.
They've covered this issue in just about every interview, I wouldn't worry. :wink:

There are puzzles just as easy in every SH, guys.
"Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
[size=84]The Gospel of Thomas, logion 7.[/size]
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

Easy and simple are different. Anyhow, as long as they have covered it in interviews, I'm happy.
I dreamed I lay in a dark valley and all around me were the titanic forms of archangels. I heard distant voices and I knew these supernatural warriors were chanting a litany...
"We are the Warriors at the End of Time. We are the lost, the last, the unkind. We are the Warriors on the Edge of Time and we're tired, we're tired... We're tired of making love..."
l33tspaniard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by l33tspaniard »

they aren't two DIFFERENT puzzles though, they're two versions of the same puzzle: two versions picked for demo purposes because they demonstrate both the non-linear nature of the game and the "realistic control" features. If more videos show up demonstrating the exact same thing happening much later in the game, THEN I'll start to panic...
Doomstench
Just Passing Through

Post by Doomstench »

Terminus wrote:As for on-screen button prompts/Wiimote-gesture indicators, they are pretty much an industry standard now. It's a bit difficult to get away from them. Not even horror games are free of them.
Sounds like an awfully good reason to not buy it for the Wii.

Wait, now that I think about it, they'll undoubtedly be mash 'X' or '[]' pop-ups on PS2 and PSP anyway. Still, Wii is the suck.
[img]http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o226/Drotho/LeftHand2-1.png[/img]
stopped_clock

Post by stopped_clock »

Doomstench wrote:Still, Wii is the suck.
Says the guy who doesn't have a Wii.

I honestly don't understand all the Wii hatred, there are some genuinely great games on the console, games that wouldn't be as awesome (and indeed aren't) on other consoles. The Wii version of RE4 is by far the best version, the controls just make it that much more fun than any other version. Metroid Prime Corruption and Zelda Twilight Princess are both fantastic.

And as far as the Wii's future, Cursed Mountain is looking excellent. I think people really need to realise that the Wii isn't just a platform for Warioware style mini-games (although Warioware is awesome). That's like looking at the 360 and only taking Viva Pinata and Fusion Frenzy into account.
Too cold to start a fire
And ride a pack of dogs