Irony

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

kideatsu
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by kideatsu »

Man. I always get random nostalgia from the original when I think of Shattered Memories. But anyway.

Just try and think of it as it's own game since it's a "reimagining" of a game already made. That's my best opinion of it.

There was so much buildup from SH 1-3 and even 4. And then there was that break and finally Homecoming was released, and though many people were disappointed with 4, I assume even more were icked by homecoming. And all my expectations left when Team Silent left the drawing board (except for Yamaoka). So now us fans are here with a "re-imagining" on our minds and I for one don't know what to expect, especially after Homecoming. I really enjoyed Origins the most of the newbie SH games, and this one looks pretty good too, so as far as I'm concerned, and for the sake of enjoying the new game, I'm going to put aside the originals and go into this one with a fresh mind.

I'll bet I'll constantly be (along with other fans) comparing it to the original, though. lol I won't be able to help it no matter how hard I try.
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

Silent Hill fans are the pissiest bunch I've ever seen.
You must not frequent a lot of "Sonic The Hedgehog" boards, I'll bet.
VIVIsect
Historical Society Historian

Post by VIVIsect »

Silent Hill fans started bitching when the series went from something great to absolute shit. Complaining sounds pretty reasonable to me.
nobody is anybody
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

VIVIsect wrote:Silent Hill fans started bitching when the series went from something great to absolute shit. Complaining sounds pretty reasonable to me.
Silent Hill fans started bitching when SH2 had fuck all to do with SH1, then when SH3 wasn't as deep and meaningful as SH2, then when The Room was like, all different and didn't feel like a Silent Hill game at all. So yeah, pretty much bitch bitch bitchin.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

That's always been the argument, too bad it actually didn't happen. Not as far back as Silent Hill 2, or even 3 at the time. And certainly not to the extent of (the well deserved) bitching that resulted from the unplayable The Room. Sure, a few people may have complained about 1-3, but 4 opened the fucking floodgates. Why? Because it sucked...
nobody is anybody
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

VIVIsect wrote: Sure, a few people may have complained about 1-3, but 4 opened the fucking floodgates. Why? Because it sucked...
Pretty much this. I get more annoyed w/ people saying "stop your bitching" than listening to people (reasonably) bitch. I mean come one, it is more than reasonable to bitch about the fact that weaons breake in both SH:TR and SH:O or that forced fighting style of SH:H is unreasonably hard and now people are entitled to bitch (as I have and will continue to) about the inability to fight in SH:SM.

If people want to bitch, let them. It's their inherent right to bitch.
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

Then I guess it's also my inherent right to roll my eyes and wonder why they're even still Silent Hill fans since it all ostensibly ended with The Room.

OMG TEH GAMES ARE NOT LIEK THE !ST ONE1

You guys should really take a trip over to some Sonic message boards and see how blessed your game series actually is. I'm starting to think Sega is purposefully sabotaging their Sonic games exclusively to piss their fans off...and for the lulz that ensues.
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

DamienPales wrote:Then I guess it's also my inherent right to roll my eyes and wonder why they're even still Silent Hill fans since it all ostensibly ended with The Room.
I don't think being a Silent Hill fan means that you have to like any turd with a Silent Hill logo on it.
DamienPales wrote:OMG TEH GAMES ARE NOT LIEK THE !ST ONE1
Do people still think thats witty?
nobody is anybody
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

So what? Do you think that your complaining proves anything about the series in general? Do you think Konami is going to read your post and go, "Geez, I had no idea people thought this way...there are going to be some changes around here." Do you think Konami is going to halt production on SM just because it's not looking good to a select few on these boards?

If you don't like the recent games, then stop participating in a forum discussing said recent games. Go to the Silent Hill 1-3 boards and wax nostalgic over there.

The complaining on this board is, of course, made exponentially more annoying by the fact that the game which this board is discussing hasn't even been released yet. Once the game is released, one can expect the requisite "This Game Sucks And Here's Why" thread, but for the love of God...
Do people still think thats witty?
It was never supposed to be witty, just hilarious. And it still is.
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

How is 4 unplayable, at all?

All of these arguments boil down to "it's not the same game as the previous 3". Seriously.
"Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
[size=84]The Gospel of Thomas, logion 7.[/size]
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

It's not unplayable, but it began the rotten trend of forcing realism elements that detracted from the gameplay.

I understand it's realistic that Henry should only hold so many items, but this restriction does not, in any way, enhance the game. All it did was annoy the horseshit out of me by forcing me to backtrack to the Room thirty times. And, since a single bullet consumes as much volume as a giant god damn pick axe, it's not more realistic than a Bag of Infinite Holding, it's just slightly less absurd and considerably more of a hassle. It is here that we also got forced into the 2D control system, a scheme which I have always detested.

We've left behind the limited inventory, but Origins continued with the stupid, broken realism by introducing stupid, easily-broken weapons. A sledgehammer, shovel, tire iron or meathook should easily survive any use Travis finds for it. Yet, six wumps against soft flesh and they're in pieces. To further the misery, you pretty much have to fight everything because Travis has the stamina of a 400 pound grandmother. I understand, it's not realistic to run twenty miles as Harry does without needing to catch a break, but if I want to run out of breath, I'll go for a jog, myself. That my videogame character is restricted in this manner just makes the game a pain in the ass to play.

It's not that these games aren't the same as the first three. It's that the changes made were almost all for the worse.

Harry now has to run from everything he sees. If he has to stop for breath every ten yards, I'm not going to bother playing it.
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

DamienPales wrote:So what? Do you think that your complaining proves anything about the series in general? Do you think Konami is going to read your post and go, "Geez, I had no idea people thought this way...there are going to be some changes around here." Do you think Konami is going to halt production on SM just because it's not looking good to a select few on these boards?
Go to Google. Type in "Silent Hill". This very site is on the first page of the results. In fact, it's directly below the official film website. Do the developers browse these forums? I can pretty much guarantee they do. Certain Silent Hill developers have personally addressed concerns voiced by actual members of this forum. So, yeah. I do think that we have an influence on the game itself. But, whatever. It's beside the point.
DamienPales wrote:If you don't like the recent games, then stop participating in a forum discussing said recent games. Go to the Silent Hill 1-3 boards and wax nostalgic over there.
As long as a company releases a product, consumers are going to voice an opinion. Sorry if you don't happen to agree with it. I've been giving my money to Konami since 1999. Since 2003 I've seen a decline in the quality of the product that I pay for. So, I'm not going to feel shy about giving my opinion. You can stick your fingers in your ears and say "LA LA LA GO AWAY, SHUT UP" all you want.
DamienPales wrote:It was never supposed to be witty, just hilarious. And it still is.
Dredging up phrases from the internet slang graveyard isn't even remotely hilarious and is typically only used by people to distract from the fact that they have no argument.
DamienPales wrote:The complaining on this board is, of course, made exponentially more annoying by the fact that the game which this board is discussing hasn't even been released yet. Once the game is released, one can expect the requisite "This Game Sucks And Here's Why" thread, but for the love of God...
I've read the interviews. I've watched the trailers. I've watched the in game footage. So far I haven't seen one single thing about this title that even remotely interests me. So, I think it's a pretty logical assumption that I'm not going to like the actual game. I don't need to go buy the new Jonas Brothers album to tell you that I think it sucks.
nobody is anybody
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

DamienPales wrote:So what? Do you think that your complaining proves anything about the series in general? Do you think Konami is going to read your post and go, "Geez, I had no idea people thought this way...there are going to be some changes around here." Do you think Konami is going to halt production on SM just because it's not looking good to a select few on these boards?
So you believe it is all well and good to take a shitty game and call it gold just because of a game pulisher/series? In that case, you must love Silet Hill: Orphan, Silent Hill: Orphan 2 and Silent Hill: The Escape, which I assume you must have played in order to call yourself a fan in the first place. Because you know, everone knows in order to be a fan you must play all the games and love them.

The game developers are intresting in what the fans like and dislike. Sam and Tomm just spent several fucking hr.s out of their busy scehdule to see what fans are thinking/want. Go read the interveiw. I infact had several of my questions anwsered and atleast one of them could have been considered "nasty" by Sam, but he still anwsered and graciously.
DamienPales wrote:If you don't like the recent games, then stop participating in a forum discussing said recent games. Go to the Silent Hill 1-3 boards and wax nostalgic over there.
Just because I like the first game the best my opinion of the new game is lesser valued than yours? Do you not even realize what the new game is about?! It is about taking a fan favorite and changing it, changing what people didn't like about the original version.
DamienPales wrote:The complaining on this board is, of course, made exponentially more annoying by the fact that the game which this board is discussing hasn't even been released yet. Once the game is released, one can expect the requisite "This Game Sucks And Here's Why" thread, but for the love of God...
I know you are new(er) but this is the way every SH game is received. It happened w/ SH:TR, it happened w/ SH:O, w/ SH:H, for that matter it happened w/ SH3 and even SH2 and it has and will continue to happen w/ SH:SM.

Adn for your pleasure I'll let you in on a secret: I have high hopes for this game. I really hope that it becomes a good game and that I can play it and enjoy it, but as per what I have seen, read, watched (yes, I have been actually following the progress of this game), the game is not up to the standard I would normally put on any game, let alone a SH game.
Aavri
Just Passing Through

Post by Aavri »

I agree with DamienPales and neonblack. This is a game discussion board about shattered memories. If you don't like shattered memories, thats ok since you are intitled to your opinion.

yes I'll admit the gameplay for the recent games suck (for the room and origins) but the stories were decent, and that is the point of a silent hill game.

However when you come into a forum yelling about in random threads on how you hate the game, how you don't like it, how you think it is a piece of shit, and how you have no interest in it makes you sound like an ass and a forum troll.

Go here of you have no interest in the game: http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18067

or better yet, since you have NO interest and I quote you on that, leave this part of the forum and go back to your SH1-3 sections. Do not go through every topic saying you don't like this, you don't like that, you think this game sucks, and more since you will seem like a troll or an ass to the people who like the game or ARE interested in the game.

Also VIVIse, read this here:
VIXX: We all know that the Silent Hill fan community is one of the most protective ones out there.:P But how important is fan reaction whilst developing a game? Have you or would you make changes to a game on the basis of fan reaction?
TOMM: By the time the game is available for fans to see, it’s usually too far along in production for anything major to change. One exception was during Homecoming – we did change Alex’s hair and voice, but that had less to do with petitions and was more because we’d been planning to change those things anyway. It just so happened the fans and Konami wanted the same thing!

Fan feedback is always appreciated though, because it shows us people actually care about what we’ve spent years of our lives working on. I must say, we were expecting a lot more negative reaction to Dahlia’s reveal ... Seems like you guys are ready for anything!
so yeah, you can voice your opinion about said game but most of the time it will fall on deaf ears since well, most of the time they have a vision of what THEY want. It would be luck for some of the bigger changes we talk about on this forum to happen. The smaller ones might happen thought.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

Aavri wrote:or better yet, since you have NO interest and I quote you on that, leave this part of the forum and go back to your SH1-3 sections. Do not go through every topic saying you don't like this, you don't like that, you think this game sucks, and more since you will seem like a troll or an ass to the people who like the game or ARE interested in the game.
I'm sorry, are you talking to me, because if you are, I'd love for you to "and quote" me just where i said exactly the words "(I) have NO interest" in this game. I just said, if you read my post instead of being a little troll-like yourself, that I have high hopes for this game. So far it is looking bleak, but my hopes are still there.
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

^ I think she's talking to me. Apparently she hasn't discovered the quote button yet.

And Aavri, I think hurtling personal insults at someone makes you sound like an "ass" and a "troll". Thanks for chiming in though.
nobody is anybody
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

I'm not overly fond of Homecoming. Ergo, I don't act like a cock and post my discontents in there. I wasn't entertained, I returned it, I don't even remember half of it except for the parts I liked. Posting in that board will contribute nothing except my own subjective pitance. I think I've posted about five times there overall, and four of the posts were positive.

Yeah, customers can whine all they want, but they usually end up getting dead flies cooked into their entrée. Ah, I miss working at restaurants...
Aavri
Just Passing Through

Post by Aavri »

Harrys_Girl, I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about VIVIsect. Sorry if I forgot to post a name on the last post. I know you have high hopes for the game but ViVisect has none. Also I might sound like an ass since i posted that but it's the truth. If I have no interest in football but I like Soccer, I don't go to a football game then talk about all how much better I think soccer is. Most people at the game would most likely think the person is a jerk, ass, or something else. I mean, I might go to a football game if my friends all went, but I still won't say "I don't like football, it sucks compared to the original sport it came from, blah blah blah."

IF you don't like it or have any interest in it, don't post in the forum that talks all about it. Well, I take that back. If there are threads in the forum that talks about how much you hate about the game or things you dislike about it, feel free to post there.
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

I have no idea as to what the hell you're talking about with the whole football analogy... But are you telling me which threads I can and can't post in? Are you kidding me? Thats not exactly how this place operates. If you don't like it, I suggest you go pound sand. Seriously.

Also, you might do well to drop the "ass" calling. No one is attacking anyone personally, then you throw your two cents in with name calling? It's a bit childish, and not to mention against the rules.
nobody is anybody
kideatsu
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by kideatsu »

Jesus. I think I that shit just keeps hitting the fan with the upcoming release of this game. Just chill out people! We can debate our interests and opinions civilly online - it's possible, I've seen it. And it's also possible to defend yourself without being crude or rash. I know we're all anal gamers to some extent, maybe not some of us, but we can get along, can't we?

Okay, back to TOPIC.

I would have wanted this to be an authentic, almost cut for cut remake, with some new twists, items, options, etc thrown in, kinda like the RE remake, but this "remix" will do. I think even maybe, if the realism isn't too over the top, as alone in the town wrote about, it could rebirth the series, because for once this new SH game actually is getting me excited and ready to put my few dollars in to preorder it - which, btw, hasn't happened since SH4....

:roll: :roll: