Anyone else expecting disappointment from the story?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Ryoshockwave
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ryoshockwave »

The more I see, the more not like the original story it seems- and calling it a "reimagining" is starting to feel like an excuse for them to butcher the story as much as they please.

Ever since the first article I read in Nintendo Power, I got the impression that they were going to tell the same story, just put their own spin on it. I knew many things would be different, like now Harry looks a little different and has a phone- that kind of stuff is fine. I originally thought that it would be a lot closer to the first game. (Actually, if it's closer to the game than the movie was I'll probably be happy..)

I don't understand why they would need to have the old characters involved if the game is going to be so drastically different. Just so they can have the "father looks for daughter" plot point? They could have simply changed a few more things and BAM- entirely different story and cast. I may be being a bit too judgmental.. Right now, my overall hope is that Shattered Memories keeps the original story intact, at least to a point- if they want to get creative with it, that's fine.
Restoration01
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Restoration01 »

angelofROOM302 wrote: Some people play SH for the scares, some play for the combat, some play for technical reasons, but I play for the storyline!
Jecht wrote:when people ask whats so great about the series I say the story, especially 2.
Mephisto wrote:That stuff about canon or not canon is getting on my balls, who cares? If you feel "bad" about it don't play the fuckin' game and stop bashing it. Fuckin' easy.
Amen.
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

Ryoshockwave wrote:The more I see, the more not like the original story it seems- and calling it a "reimagining" is starting to feel like an excuse for them to butcher the story as much as they please.

Ever since the first article I read in Nintendo Power, I got the impression that they were going to tell the same story, just put their own spin on it. I knew many things would be different, like now Harry looks a little different and has a phone- that kind of stuff is fine. I originally thought that it would be a lot closer to the first game. (Actually, if it's closer to the game than the movie was I'll probably be happy..)

I don't understand why they would need to have the old characters involved if the game is going to be so drastically different. Just so they can have the "father looks for daughter" plot point? They could have simply changed a few more things and BAM- entirely different story and cast. I may be being a bit too judgmental.. Right now, my overall hope is that Shattered Memories keeps the original story intact, at least to a point- if they want to get creative with it, that's fine.
One of the awesome things about the Resident Evil remake on the Gamecube is that it was designed with the veteran in mind. It takes your expectations and uses them against you. I can't recall how many times I thought I knew what I was doing while playing it, as I had played the original countless times, only to find some unexpected twist that threw me for a complete loop.

The main draw of Resident Evil lies in the gameplay and puzzle-solving (at least, it used to). I expect that Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is going to do the same thing to us, only it will use our knowledge of the story against us. I couldn't care less that they're changing around the gameplay, even drastically; gameplay has never been the series' strong suit. I don't care that they've eliminated combat, either. Later entries have focused more on combat, and nobody has ever thought this a desirable emphasis. Even in the earlier games, combat was always a messy affair and rarely was it intuitive. I doubt I'll much miss it, and either way, it has always been only filler in-between the story events.

That said, I want to be fooled, consistently, into thinking I know what's going on. As long as it makes sense in the end and is drum-tight, I'll be satisfied in that regard.
Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Whitney »

alone in the town wrote:That said, I want to be fooled, consistently, into thinking I know what's going on. As long as it makes sense in the end and is drum-tight, I'll be satisfied in that regard.
Amen to that! That's one of the reasons I'm so hyped for the game. I'm glad it's not a straight re-make and I want to have the "WTF that didn't happen in the first game where the hell is this going?!" moments.
My Websites!
Image Image Image
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

I agree with Ryan and Whitney. Who needs a simple remake? If you're going to reuse stuff from another game, then make everything else different. This game gets props simply for doing just that.
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

I don't think fooling the audience was ever a major point for the series. "Betraying one's expectations" is something unique to this installment, which I'm undecided on whether I like it or not.

We can be fooled with a well-crafted story. That's what I hope for Shattered Memories. If the developers' focus is simply to fool us by making it different to the original, then I think it's missing the point.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

Well, yeah. You shouldn't make it different just for the sake of making it different; however, based on what I've seen so far the developers seem to genuinely want to make something different and fun.
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Burning Man wrote:I don't think fooling the audience was ever a major point for the series. "Betraying one's expectations" is something unique to this installment, which I'm undecided on whether I like it or not.

We can be fooled with a well-crafted story. That's what I hope for Shattered Memories. If the developers' focus is simply to fool us by making it different to the original, then I think it's missing the point.
I never said it was a major series focus . . .

Nor do I want the disorientation to be the major focus here. Above all else, I want a good, solid story and gameplay that won't get in the way of me experiencing the story. I do hope, however, that playing on our expectations is one of the factors involved in playing the game.
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

I also hope they shed more light on the story, stuff we don't know yet. But it's looking like this isn't gonna be canon with the rest or maybe it is while canceling out the original SH1 facts, who knows.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

Ehhh, it all seems a bit gimmicky to me. The one thing I really liked about 2 and 3 is that you really felt alone and most of the people you encountered didn't seem too trustworthy. Most of the scares weren't from the monsters at all, but just creepy stuff you found/heard as you went through the game. This seems like it's going from fairly normal areas to wtf ice levels with invincible monsters.

Also, I get not being able to kill them but is it so unreasonable for some kind of attack option so they don't have to fucking jump on you for you to physically interact with them.

Oh well, I'm still hoping the game will turn out alright. As long as it's better than 4 and Homecoming I'm pretty much chill with it.
Your weaboo is showing
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

The story is the only reason I'd buy this game.

Shattered Memories isn't...the prettiest gal in the Silent Hill family.
Doesn't seem to have much else going on, either.

Maybe the soundtrack won't be awful, though. :) I really hope not.
Rhenislauss
Just Passing Through

Post by Rhenislauss »

From what I've seen the story looks like it had the right idea, but fell short in every other department. Like with subtlety, atmosphere and insight.
Hugs have no affect on me...do your worst.
Alavian
Just Passing Through

Post by Alavian »

Kerrigan wrote:The story is the only reason I'd buy this game.

Shattered Memories isn't...the prettiest gal in the Silent Hill family.
Doesn't seem to have much else going on, either.

Maybe the soundtrack won't be awful, though. :) I really hope not.
I find it rather odd that you'd say that, considering SM is one of the more aesthetically pleasing games for the Wii. Sure, Homecoming had more polygons, but its environment was dull and uninspired.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

The story is not a disappointment. I have a hard time deciding wheter I like SH2's story or Shattered Memorie's story better... But they're both executed very differently that it really doesn't matter. Despite any flaws in Shattered memories' gameplay, it's style and everything are geniusly well suited to tell its story. It's great and very well presented! Definately one of this year's best games going by story alone!
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

The story's definitely great. I plowed through the game yesterday (it's easy once you've beaten it) and I think I liked it more the 2nd playthrough. You notice a lot more with the knowledge of how the game ends. I finished it again, and didn't want to stop playing it (after 2nd playthrough!) Tells you a lot about the game, it's fackin great
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

I'd love to hear an opinion from someone who really was against the idea of the story in the first place and what they think of the game after playing it.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Anyone else expecting disappointment from the story?
I am. I don't even know what to think but I'm expecting disappointment for sure. . .
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
First off: Story told by Cheryl? Hmm. . .
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

angelofROOM302 wrote:I'd love to hear an opinion from someone who really was against the idea of the story in the first place and what they think of the game after playing it.
Take it from me. I didn't like the idea of a reboot/retelling at all and wasn't big on this game, especially that it was going to have no relation to the past games. The story in this game really surprised me and it's excellently told!
Mephisto wrote:I am. I don't even know what to think but I'm expecting disappointment for sure. . .
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
First off: Story told by Cheryl? Hmm. . .
Looks like you've kind of spoiled it for yourself so that's definately going to take away a lot from your enjoyment. Anyway you can rest assured, pretty much everyone who has played it, if you venture into spoiler threads here or on other places like Neogaf, the story is the best part of this game, it's presentation and symbolism easily ranks it as one of the series' finest!
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

... And spoiled for me too!
I just had to click the spoilers button xD
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Expecting disappointment? Why do people always say that? "I expect to be disappointed"? It makes no sense. If you're expecting it, then there's no disappointment is there? You need to be expecting something good in order to be disappointed when something's bad. If you're expecting it then it's not disappointment!
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.