This game isn't a remake etc, let's clear this up.

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

White Claudia
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: This game isn't a remake etc, let's clear this up.

Post by White Claudia »

Silent Hill:SM is a re- imagining plain and simple, look at all the interviews with the developer especially Tomm Hulett the producer who keeps brining that up when it came down to plot details.

In layman's terms there idea of re-imagining is code for ''don't really know what the underlying story is about...just so we can get away with it we will call it a re-imagining and tell our story.''

A re-imagining as stated is a different approach, different perspective to the same story, they didn't do this at all!! Sam Barlow said that it shares the same starting point as SH1 for instance.....no it doesn't, they crash because Harry is driving too fast in snowy weather...Dumbass. which contradicts what he has just said.

http://ie.wii.ign.com/articles/971/971319p1.html

In a Re-imagining according to climax you start the game off like the original but from there you can do what you want, no the reasons he is there and why he meets these characters should remain constant only the way the storyline is told can change. They took the dream ending from SH1 and made it the real one. In fact it's neither a remake or Re-imagining it's a re-interpretation of something they don't fully understand or appreciate.
http://www.youtube.com/vTheFreemanv
I don’t know what the key to success is, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

One of the things you learn from years of dealing with drug people, is that you can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug. Especially when it's waving a razor-sharp hunting knife in your eye.
Share this quote
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

White Claudia wrote:Silent Hill:SM is a re- imagining plain and simple, look at all the interviews with the developer especially Tomm Hulett the producer who keeps brining that up when it came down to plot details.

In layman's terms there idea of re-imagining is code for ''don't really know what the underlying story is about...just so we can get away with it we will call it a re-imagining and tell our story.''

A re-imagining as stated is a different approach, different perspective to the same story, they didn't do this at all!! Sam Barlow said that it shares the same starting point as SH1 for instance.....no it doesn't, they crash because Harry is driving too fast in snowy weather...Dumbass. which contradicts what he has just said.

In a Re-imagining according to climax you start the game off like the original but from there you can do what you want, no the reasons he is there and why he meets these characters should remain constant only the way the storyline is told can change. They took the dream ending from SH1 and made it the real one. In fact it's neither a remake or Re-imagining it's a re-interpretation of something they don't fully understand or appreciate.
Whoa, man, calm down there. It's a re-imagining: they started from "Harry was in a car crash with his daughter; now he has to search for her".

Also, they did not take the dream ending of SH1; even that contradicts Shattered Memories, because in SH1, Cheryl is definitely Harry's adopted daughter with Mrs. Mason, rather than what we are shown in Shattered Memories.
White Claudia
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by White Claudia »

Yuki wrote:
White Claudia wrote:Silent Hill:SM is a re- imagining plain and simple, look at all the interviews with the developer especially Tomm Hulett the producer who keeps brining that up when it came down to plot details.

Whoa, man, calm down there. It's a re-imagining: they started from "Harry was in a car crash with his daughter; now he has to search for her".

Also, they did not take the dream ending of SH1; even that contradicts Shattered Memories, because in SH1, Cheryl is definitely Harry's adopted daughter with Mrs. Mason, rather than what we are shown in Shattered Memories.
Haha no im calm the ending where Harry dies and that's what Memories is about Cheryl had been desperately holding on to the memory of her father, and that the Harry that the player has been controlling is a manifestation of Cheryl's delusion its completely different from sh1 they just took the ending and followed it up. it's just the development team both Producer Tom Hulett and writer Sam Barlow state and use the Batman franchise as an example of how a re-imagining and how it works by comparing Tim Burton's Batman with Christopher Nolan's Version both are radically different in style and pace and how Batman is presented, but his parents being killed and how he got to that point, his nemesis he has to fight all remain constant and loyal to the original source they use the same core underlining story SM dose not do this at all it strays off on a tangent that is not subtle and in no way disturbing.
I don’t know what the key to success is, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

One of the things you learn from years of dealing with drug people, is that you can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug. Especially when it's waving a razor-sharp hunting knife in your eye.
Share this quote
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Dude, Climax is very familiar with the Silent Hill franchise. Just because they made a re-imagining doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing, don't be a stuck-up jerk. Shattered Memories was not intended to be the same as SH1. You could think of it as a meta-sequel, as it's not meant to "replace" it at all.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

White Claudia wrote:
Yuki wrote:

Haha no im calm the ending where Harry dies and that's what Memories is about Cheryl had been desperately holding on to the memory of her father, and that the Harry that the player has been controlling is a manifestation of Cheryl's delusion its completely different from sh1 they just took the ending and followed it up. it's just the development team both Producer Tom Hulett and writer Sam Barlow state and use the Batman franchise as an example of how a re-imagining and how it works by comparing Tim Burton's Batman with Christopher Nolan's Version both are radically different in style and pace and how Batman is presented, but his parents being killed and how he got to that point, his nemesis he has to fight all remain constant and loyal to the original source they use the same core underlining story SM dose not do this at all it strays off on a tangent that is not subtle and in no way disturbing.

That's not correct, though it's close. The scenes we see /before/ Harry's car crash in Silent Hill 1 (Harry and his wife finding Cheryl) completely contradict what we see in Shattered Memories: Cheryl is his biological daughter. They use the same thought, as has been stated, of Harry searching for his daughter.

I can't argue you thinking it's not subtle or disturbing; I simply disagree. However, I /can/ argue the reimagining point. See this link for what I mean; the games hold many similarities past their base plots, though "reimagining" simply refers to something in which they started out with the /same basic plot/ (again, "Harry got in a car crash and is searching for his daughter") and went somewhere different.
White Claudia
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by White Claudia »

AuraTwilight wrote:Dude, Climax is very familiar with the Silent Hill franchise. Just because they made a re-imagining doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing, don't be a stuck-up jerk. Shattered Memories was not intended to be the same as SH1. You could think of it as a meta-sequel, as it's not meant to "replace" it at all.
Im just expressing my opinion and it's just that, I don't appreciate being called a stuck up jerk your just contradicting yourself i think the forum states that the simple fact that they have officially called it a Re-imagining brought me to this conclusion a little respect please.

Look i have respect for these developers and what there doing, it's just for me personally there missing the point....the constant re-use of scenarios and the whole Alessa story that climax keep going back too, why can't they attempt something original, it's as if they can only attempt to write what we already know in fact would SH:SM be cannon technically not as it's now set in a different universe. Is that what Climax plan to do? continue there version?

Psych Profile being used in SH2 and in a subtle manner as well is pulled to the forefront here as a seemingly complex Gimmick, text message's you receive on the phone for example are just up front and to the point. and the on screen messages that tell you what to press affects the tension in my opinion.ambiguity is seriously lacking in the recent games. I guess im just waiting for what i would perceive to be a true Silent Hill sequel after 4.

Share this quote
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^Your signature couldn't be any truer.
And to add to what you said;
I was honestly expecting Shattered Memories to be more of a re-imagining, and less of a (parody, for lack of a better word.) When I hear the word "re-imagined," I think of the latest Star Trek movie compared to the older ones. They obviously broke a lot of the established canon from the earlier films, but Kirk & Spock still buddied up, and key members of the crew still came together.
I hate to use "them" as a reference (too ;)) but the Batman movies are also a good example of this.
I suppose they did a good job with it as it's own work, but I'm a little unreliable here because I didn't play this game much.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

White Claudia wrote: Look i have respect for these developers and what there doing, it's just for me personally there missing the point....the constant re-use of scenarios and the whole Alessa story that climax keep going back too, why can't they attempt something original, it's as if they can only attempt to write what we already know in fact would SH:SM be cannon technically not as it's now set in a different universe. Is that what Climax plan to do? continue there version?
Without going into your opinion on the game itself, which I disagree with... I'm really not understanding your point here.

Sure, something original would've been nice, though their entire point in doing Shattered Memories was to subvert expectations. What I'm not getting here is why you insist it should be canon/could have ever been canon (before we were explicitly told it wasn't). I've mentioned before exactly why it cannot have taken place in the same timeline as the other games, so I'm curious as to why you insist it could have.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Im just expressing my opinion and it's just that, I don't appreciate being called a stuck up jerk your just contradicting yourself i think the forum states that the simple fact that they have officially called it a Re-imagining brought me to this conclusion a little respect please.
The fact that you're calling them unoriginal, and insinuating that they don't know what they're doing or that they're doing something wrong with the VERY IDEA of Shattered Memories, is pretty stuck up. You can state your opinion, and I can state that I think your opinion is rude and unnecessarily aggressive. It goes both ways, pal.
Look i have respect for these developers and what there doing, it's just for me personally there missing the point....the constant re-use of scenarios and the whole Alessa story that climax keep going back too, why can't they attempt something original, it's as if they can only attempt to write what we already know in fact would SH:SM be cannon technically not as it's now set in a different universe. Is that what Climax plan to do? continue there version?
Just because they reference to the Alessa mythos doesn't mean they haven't been original. Even if you don't think it's GOOD, you can't argue that Shattered Memories isn't ORIGINAL, considering all the new and unique things they did with the game. No, Climax is not saying Shattered Memories is canon, and they're not gonna continue with this version. As I've explained earlier in the thread, I think, this game exists to sort of conclude the meta-mythos of Harry Mason and his daughter, so that it stops being made into sequels, prequels, spinoffs, movies, adaptations, comics....
Psych Profile being used in SH2 and in a subtle manner as well is pulled to the forefront here as a seemingly complex Gimmick, text message's you receive on the phone for example are just up front and to the point. and the on screen messages that tell you what to press affects the tension in my opinion.ambiguity is seriously lacking in the recent games. I guess im just waiting for what i would perceive to be a true Silent Hill sequel after 4.
SH2 doesn't have a Psych Profile, and the text messages and screen messages are no different from the notes and memos characters could find in other games.

In what sense do you think Shattered Memories is lacking in "ambiguity"? Do you mean an ambiguous plot? Because it's atleast as ambiguous as most of the original games, considering people still debate over SM's plot.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

It's obvious that certain people are just repeating word for word what they heard said in TRSHE by Rosseter, Fungo, and DerFuzhwar. If you aren't even going to come up with your own fake criticism then don't bother annoying people with it.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

AuraTwilight wrote: the text messages and screen messages are no different from the notes and memos characters could find in other games.
All of the other games' memos had something to do with the plot. There weren't any text messages or voicemails in Shattered Memories that had anything to with

::::::::SPOILER:::::::::::
the fact that Harry was dead.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

They had to do with Cheryl's life and at times the relationship between her parents, both of which are indeed important to the plot.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, Harry being dead isn't really the main issue, here. Everything we learn on Harry's adventure is a look into Cheryl's psyche and life, which culminated into her creating this imaginary Harry and how doing so has negatively impacted her life.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

Yes, it is the main issue because it's the reason she's in therapy. Just like the main reason James is in Silent Hill is because of Mary. It's the driving force for the game.
I'm not saying that the other things didn't have an impact on this version of Cheryl, but surely you can see the difference between

my wife was sick=relevance to her death vs. the chocking game=/=my dad's dead.

Idk, I think I've just got a different focus on this.

Yuki

Post by Yuki »

SilentWren wrote:Yes, it is the main issue because it's the reason she's in therapy. Just like the main reason James is in Silent Hill is because of Mary. It's the driving force for the game.
I'm not saying that the other things didn't have an impact on this version of Cheryl, but surely you can see the difference between

my wife was sick=relevance to her death vs. the chocking game=/=my dad's dead.

Idk, I think I've just got a different focus on this.

Yes, it's the underlying reason for her therapy, but you can't just say it's the sole reason; everything that led up to it (sleeping with her teacher, stabbing the security guard, being drugged at a campout, etc.) was also a reason for her to be in therapy. The main issue is Cheryl's issues /as a result/ of Harry's death, rather than Harry's death itself. If the central issue was simply "Oh, Harry's dead", I should think that the texts and echoes would reflect that.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

I get what you're saying, but it was executed poorly in this game.
It was just the twist at the end instead of being given the importance it deserved, that's why I felt the information we were given didn't have anything to do with plot. Even Dr. K addresses at the end how serious it is by the things he says and the dramatic throwing of the glass.

KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I'm not sure any real psychiatrist would condone that behavior, but it works well dramatically.

As before, I agree that it's simply a reimagining, not a remake. The only other thing that's really similar is RZ's Halloween, which took basic concepts from the original and did its own thing. (At least in the first half...).
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

You know, Mary's death wasn't the main issue James Sunderland had, so much as HIS OWN PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY IN IT AND HIS OWN EMOTIONS FROM BEFORE AND AFTER SHE DIED.

Similarly, the real thing we're being shown here isn't so much the fact that Harry is dead, but how this has impacted Cheryl's psyche, and the game does a great job of showing this, but it has to be indirect because it's trying to hide Cheryl's identity the whole game. For instance, it's heavily implied that Cheryl was involved in the Choking Game, but we're not supposed to know she's older than seven yet, so this is left totally ambiguous.

It's not Climax's fault that you failed to connect the dots.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

SilentWren wrote:Yes, it is the main issue because it's the reason she's in therapy. Just like the main reason James is in Silent Hill is because of Mary. It's the driving force for the game.
If you are using that logic to discredit the messages in SM then I actually dare to take every single memo in SH2 and connect it specifically to the fact that Mary is dead. You can't do it because not everything in Silent Hill is related to one specific thing. It's way deeper and more complex than that.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^When did I state that all of them did?
AuraTwilight wrote: It's not Climax's fault that you failed to connect the dots.
It's not my fault you have a problem with someone disagreeing with you.
It's also kind of condescending to TYPE IN ALL CAPS WHEN YOU WANT SOMEONE TO CONSIDER YOUR VIEWPOINT. SEE HOW ANNOYING THIS IS? DOES THIS BEG THE READER TO TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY? I'M SO AMAZING, I CAN USE THE CAPS LOCK BUTTON!!!!!!

I haven't played SM much, and there's a chance that my perceptions of it will change if I ever get around to a few more play throughs in the future. I just feel this way right now after having played it twice. I personally feel that every game has a "main focus," and SM ruined my groove with this. There. Can we all just eat some cake and have fun now?