This game isn't a remake etc, let's clear this up.

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

valiturus

Post by valiturus »

alone in the town wrote:It makes me cringe when people insist on reinforcing the distinction, especially since I personally don't see many people who truly believe Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is a simple modernization of Silent Hill.

Sure, it's technically a re-telling. Or re-imagining. I still won't menstruate if I see it referred to as a re-make. The fuel I pump into my car is in fact a liquid, but I won't go crazy if people call it 'gas'.
Agreed. It's not THAT big of a deal, people.
Manic_Relapse
Just Passing Through

Post by Manic_Relapse »

Yes, I know this is supposed to be a re-imagining of the game and what not, but I can't help but feel it is going to be a huge disappointment. Taking combat out of the game and that icy nightmare world just looks idiotic to me.
[img]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h185/Creeping_Deth1/Niho-sig-1.jpg[/img]
Anthonyelmio2
Just Passing Through

Post by Anthonyelmio2 »

^ we just have to wait of it to come out and play it and then we will know if it works or not
but i don't think of SH: SM to be part of SH1, i just think of it like a new SH series game like SH3, SH4, SH2, SHH and SH: O none of them are completely sequals to each other in each of them the history changes a little bit

Ex. SH1 and SH3 some of the things that happened in both that similar are never fully explained

or the biggest one of SH1 was it really a dream and why do all SH games have multiple endings and maybe SH: SM is just one of the possible beginnings
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

Anthonyelmio2 wrote:^ we just have to wait of it to come out and play it and then we will know if it works or not
but i don't think of SH: SM to be part of SH1, i just think of it like a new SH series game like SH3, SH4, SH2, SHH and SH: O none of them are completely sequals to each other in each of them the history changes a little bit

Ex. SH1 and SH3 some of the things that happened in both that similar are never fully explained

or the biggest one of SH1 was it really a dream and why do all SH games have multiple endings and maybe SH: SM is just one of the possible beginnings

If SH1 was "just a dream", I will kick a baby. That's the worst ending ever. The SH games have endings so you have more to work for, that's all.
Anthonyelmio2
Just Passing Through

Post by Anthonyelmio2 »

games don't just have multiple endings just for fun but to show the players that it is possible to have different endings to one thing by just doing things a little different the 2nd or 3rd time around

just think of SH: SM as an alternate beginning that can change the way the player sees the story(with the Psyche Profile system)
and that Henry didn't have the volleyballs to pick up a weapon so he just runs away, just like some of us don't have the courage to bash a lying figure on the face so we just run away or just stay there and die

one big example of multiple beginnings is the Silent Hill movie
TravisGrady
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TravisGrady »

Anthonyelmio2 wrote:

:?:

Ive never seen the movie. it had multiple beginnings?
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

TravisGrady wrote:
Anthonyelmio2 wrote:

:?:

Ive never seen the movie. it had multiple beginnings?
No, as far as I recall, it did not. >.>
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
DarkMemories
Just Passing Through

Post by DarkMemories »

I think what he's saying is that the Silent Hill movie is an alternate interpretation of the Silent Hill mythos that started with 1.
TravisGrady
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TravisGrady »

DarkMemories wrote:I think what he's saying is that the Silent Hill movie is an alternate interpretation of the Silent Hill mythos that started with 1.
oh, ok.
lesboctopus
Just Passing Through

Post by lesboctopus »

here's how both this game and SH1 can be canon.

SH1 was telling the story from the perspective of Alessa and/or Dahlia. hence why the version of hell you play through is Alessa's, and why you see Dahlia in her true form. SH:SM is telling the same exact story, but from Harry's point of view. hence why he has his own personal, "icy" hell. SH:SM is basically going to be SH1, but with a SH2 spin on the storyline. as opposed to a storyline strictly following the cult, Harry's personal demons will finally be revealed.
Endri
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Endri »

That's technically an acceptable theory. Even though it was never stated that the first one was illustrated by the point of view of Alessa. But it makes a lot of sense when you put the infos in the table like this.
http://endri.webs.com
[spoiler]Harry's name isn't Harry. Harry is just a nickname. His name is Harrold.
James' actual occupation is clerk.
Heather smoked until the age of 17.
EDIT - INFLAMATORY - T.
Travis is virgin.
Alex's a uninteresting character.

The bushes in the original SMB are also the clouds.

artic[b]UNO[/b], zap[b]DOS[/b], mol[b]TRES[/b][/spoiler]
simeonalo

Re: This game isn't a remake etc, let's clear this up.

Post by simeonalo »

I feel that this should be stickied so more topics like the last don't happen...
Goodnight

Re:

Post by Goodnight »

alone in the town wrote:It makes me cringe when people insist on reinforcing the distinction, especially since I personally don't see many people who truly believe Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is a simple modernization of Silent Hill.

Sure, it's technically a re-telling. Or re-imagining. I still won't menstruate if I see it referred to as a re-make. The fuel I pump into my car is in fact a liquid, but I won't go crazy if people call it 'gas'.

Agreed!
SHF

Post by SHF »

Its a definite reimagining. Even the producer said that.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I think I would try a remake if they made one. I think they should put that damn fire document in all regions, to avoid confusion. But SM has pretty much precluded the possibility. Sad face!
Mumbler
Just Passing Through

Post by Mumbler »

If you think of it, is it really a re-telling OR a re-imagining?

It's more like, playing off of what could have happened after the Bad(+?) ending of SH1. Whichever it was where he's dying in the jeep. xD
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

As has been stated time and time again though, that only works if you ignore the back-story to SH1. Harry adopted Cheryl, and lived somewhere else. In SM, he was Cheryl's biological father, married to Dahlia, and lived in Silent Hill. That's just the first of several inconsistencies (SH1 takes place in 1980, Harry died in SM in 1991 or so, for starters). And let's not forget that Ørigins happened. So at the very least we know Cheryl is the product of a desperate attempt to dodge the birth of god by Alessa.

It's more like a retelling or reimagining of the first story.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
dragonflydusk
Just Passing Through

Post by dragonflydusk »

and i'll admit, i'd rather have a true remake than this re-imagining, but i'm still keeping an open mind to it. i just think that this re-imagining is going to kill any small chance there was of an actual remake being made.

oh well
That's exactly how I feel.

Anyways, I can't help but feel like "re-imagining" is simply a cop-out for coming up with an original story. It's stating that the work isn't close enough to the original to be considered a remake, but if you're going to change things to such a drastic degree why not bother taking the extra mile to make it completely original? That's just how I feel, though, and I don't expect others to agree with me.
Exactly.
I played the remake of RE, and it was boring as hell. So what the graphics were upgraded? Besides that and that f-ed up girl in chains, it was almost the same game as the original. What's the point of making games like that or The Twin Snakes (which was also boring)? Developers explain themselfes by saying they wanna present the game to a new audience, but that's just bull. Who else is mostly going to buy a remake if not the fans of the original?
Bottom line America: if you're making a remake you better make it fresh and interesting, otherwise just don't bother.
I have one phrase for this line of thought: "You, Jill, the master of all lock-picking, should take this lock-pick."
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

paladin181 wrote:As has been stated time and time again though, that only works if you ignore the back-story to SH1. Harry adopted Cheryl, and lived somewhere else. In SM, he was Cheryl's biological father, married to Dahlia, and lived in Silent Hill. That's just the first of several inconsistencies (SH1 takes place in 1980, Harry died in SM in 1991 or so, for starters). And let's not forget that Ørigins happened. So at the very least we know Cheryl is the product of a desperate attempt to dodge the birth of god by Alessa.

It's more like a retelling or reimagining of the first story.

^^This....you also have to take into account that SM has no true super natural element to be had....with so many factors involved, it's virtually impossible to connect this game with the original game...
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Anyways, I can't help but feel like "re-imagining" is simply a cop-out for coming up with an original story. It's stating that the work isn't close enough to the original to be considered a remake, but if you're going to change things to such a drastic degree why not bother taking the extra mile to make it completely original? That's just how I feel, though, and I don't expect others to agree with me.
You have to remember the reason why it's connected to SH1. Making it entirely original hollows out the spirit of the game; it's it's own story, but it also continues and concludes the meta-arc of the Alessa story. After having all these expectations and characterizations of the characters, such as Harry being a perfect father, and ourselves being emotionally shattered by Harry's death in SH3, we are made into Cheryl (almost literally) and have to put away the notions that Harry was anything else but a man, accept that he wasn't perfect, and accept that he is dead and his story (and Alessa/Cheryl's by extension) is over.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]