This game isn't a remake etc, let's clear this up.

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Aavri
Just Passing Through

Post by Aavri »

alone in the town wrote:The point of the analogy is that it doesn't matter whether we call it a re-make or re-imagining. The term 're-make' is quite frequently used to substitute for what is accurately a 're-imagining', and either way, it is what it is and most people can be told that Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is a re-make of Silent Hill without thinking that it's a shot-by-shot reconstruction. Thus, getting annoyed by such semantics is foolish.

You have no clue how many SH fans I've talked to that know almost nothing about this game pass a few things think that this the first SH game with updated graphics, sound, and just a few added extras like REmake. Then there is a group of people who know what SM is but hate it since it is not "what a remake is since they are totally changing the plot.".

Thought that is more of the in-person friends and gamers I know. On Forums, this is much less of an issue.

It is not the issue of being annoyed by people who call this game a remake or a remix or what ever they want. The problem is when they use the excuse that this game is a remake and thus should follow the original SH plot or is bashing the game since it isn't a traditional remake.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

I guess you're right Aavri about which langauge to use here..

and i'll admit, i'd rather have a true remake than this re-imagining, but i'm still keeping an open mind to it. i just think that this re-imagining is going to kill any small chance there was of an actual remake being made.

oh well
PyramidFace
Just Passing Through

Post by PyramidFace »

I think the original coming out on PSN killed any chance of there being an actual remake of the original.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

^i don't see why that would kill it, since you can play the original (if you still have the disc) on your PS3 anyway. PS3's have full backwards compatability with PSone games.

anyway, they should give the game a proper remake, but it will probably never happen.
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

You have no clue how many SH fans I've talked to that know almost nothing
The GameFAQs message boards are a terrifying place to be, 'tis true.
Dr. Eggnog

Post by Dr. Eggnog »

PyramidFace wrote:I think the original coming out on PSN killed any chance of there being an actual remake of the original.
I don't think so. FFVII is on PSN and there's still rumors of a remake for that. Of course, that's another remake that I don't want to happen.
SGTCOOL
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SGTCOOL »

Well shattered memories kills the chance of there ever being a traditional remake of silent hill 1. Which I'm pleased by. And if you want even more horror, check the comments under silent hill youtube videos...ugh.
Stray
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Stray »

To me it doesn't matter if you call it a remake, reimagining or retelling. The only thing that does matter is will the game be any good when it comes out.
And I'm glad it's not just a normal remake, because that would be just God damn boring.
"I don't know my name. I don't know if I can make it
I don't feel the same
My brain is dead and I cannot wake it
I don't wanna run. I don't have a place to run to
I don't see the sun
I don't understand what I must do"
SGTCOOL
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SGTCOOL »

Agreed Stray, screw the classification of what the game technically is. I just want a good game to play. And if I want nostalgia I'll play the original, I don't need a direct remake.
Stray
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Stray »

SGTCOOL wrote: And if I want nostalgia I'll play the original, I don't need a direct remake.
Exactly.
I played the remake of RE, and it was boring as hell. So what the graphics were upgraded? Besides that and that fucked up girl in chains, it was almost the same game as the original. What's the point of making games like that or The Twin Snakes (which was also boring)? Developers explain themselfes by saying they wanna present the game to a new audience, but that's just bull. Who else is mostly going to buy a remake if not the fans of the original?
Bottom line America: if you're making a remake you better make it fresh and interesting, otherwise just don't bother.
I don't feel the same
I don't see the sun
Suiko
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Suiko »

^ I forgot all about The Twin Snakes, I knew I was missing a big example. Either way, I agree with you on being glad it's not a straight remake, as well as what truly matters is if it's just a good game or not. (I really was bored playing The Twin Snakes...lol no wonder I didn't remember it.)
Oh, it should've been, could've been worse than you would ever know.
Well, you told me about nowhere well it sounds like someplace I'd like to go.
thathotel
Just Passing Through

Post by thathotel »

Speaking of which, twin snakes is made by the developer behind eternal darkness.
Stray
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Stray »

thathotel wrote:Speaking of which, twin snakes is made by the developer behind eternal darkness.
Yes thats true. Too bad ED didn't sell, Silicon Knights could've done a sequel.
I don't feel the same
I don't see the sun
Jecht
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Jecht »

Rumor was they were wanting to make a sequel for the 360 but Nintendo bought out the rights to the engine. Like the way things effect you.
Silent One
Gravedigger

Post by Silent One »

W/e. Silent Hill isn't about graphics. It's about story and atmosphere. They nail those and everything is good. :mrgreen:
Bishop Sasarai
Historical Society Historian

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

Stray wrote:Bottom line America: if you're making a remake you better make it fresh and interesting, otherwise just don't bother.
Bottom line Japan, too.

Not only that, if you're going to make a remake, you better have a shit load of added content that doesn't simply involve more weapons/levels/costumes/skills. I want a more fleshed-out story, character development, and more quests (or whatever the game is about) that provide you with items as well as plot.
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.
Stray
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Stray »

^

I couldn't agree more.
Amen to that.
I don't feel the same
I don't see the sun
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

i'd do a mega fist pump if SH ever got a proper remake.

Trying to make the game "fresh and interesting" are how remakes turn into disasters. folks try to add things, or make changes and they just ruin what was fine as is, but just needed a new look. just go all out on the atmosphere/graphics, maybe throw in access to additional locations (like houses, a bar, stores, etc), but keep the story as is. no need to flesh out Sh's story, seeing as how we already know everything there is to know.

i guess the only thing that i wouldn't mind being added is a side quest for Cybil. sorta like how Maria's quest was in SH2, but make it longer. or just have it so that you can play through the game as Cybil and Harry, giving you two different experiences.
Stray
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Stray »

^^

I can understand the need to play your favourite game with upgraded graphics, God knows I would like to see a remake of the first Metal Gear. But making a remake of a game like SH from 1999 requires some changes. The game is simply still too fresh in my memory for me to enjoy a direct remake, maybe in another 10 years but not now. It's like you sed "we already know everything there is to know", so what's the point? Playing the same game over again just because of the graphics and some added locations is just not enough for me.
I don't feel the same
I don't see the sun
HeresJohnny
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by HeresJohnny »

^ Agree, but luckily for me, I've never played the original SH so I REALLY want to play SH:SM. The funny thinng is I feel like I've played the original SH because I've been a member at the forum for quite a while and I probly know more about the game than some of the people who own it, lmao!