"Hell Frozen Rain" resued guitar solo.

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Stray
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Stray »

Anybody listened to Akira's album "Ifuturelist" ? I was really dissapointed with that stuff. I admit I was expecting something like SH, but still that album was just poor. There wasn't even one song I would like from that shit. My faith in his creativeness really went down after that.
"I don't know my name. I don't know if I can make it
I don't feel the same
My brain is dead and I cannot wake it
I don't wanna run. I don't have a place to run to
I don't see the sun
I don't understand what I must do"
Numb Body01
Historical Society Historian

Post by Numb Body01 »

Heard it was shite, didn't bother with it.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

Akira's always been covering Portishead and playing the same silly '90s rock songs. It's nothing new. I'm more surprised that there isn't much complaint of all his music sounding the same. It's good, mind you, but it's never been creatively exhaustive.
"Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
[size=84]The Gospel of Thomas, logion 7.[/size]
Suiko
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Suiko »

Really most of the time I don't care for his songs at all, but the ingame stuff he does is great with background sounds and what not. Or at least they were, I'll have to see if he has some great new sounds in the new game.
Oh, it should've been, could've been worse than you would ever know.
Well, you told me about nowhere well it sounds like someplace I'd like to go.
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

MMY wrote:I mentioned this in the other thread, and have for years: Every Silent Hill soundtrack has re-used the same fill/solo at the end of "Silent Hill" from the first game. It's been in "Silent Hill" (2:03), "Theme Of Laura" (2:01) "I Want Love" (2:30), and "Your Rain" (2:52).
Try "Cradel of Forest".
I forget where it's used on Silent Hill: Origins and Silent Hill: Homecoming b/c I cannot tolerate the songs w/ [Mary] Elizabeth McGlynn.
You say that like she didn't have anything to do with the past soundtracks.

Anyway.

Akira is a sound mixer—a number of his "original" tracks = stock audio that has been tampered with. Re-using old sounds or relying on his past music is nothing new.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Try "Cradel of Forest".
Try "Your Rain." Not "Cradel of Forest."

>You say that like she didn't have anything to do with the past soundtracks.
She didn't have anything to do w/ Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2's soundtracks.

Also: I say that like I don't like any of the songs she was a part of on Silent Hill: Origins and Silent Hill: Homecoming's soundtracks—save for "O.R.T."
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

lol sure
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

lulz ur rite!
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
WolfSiberia
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by WolfSiberia »

Quick Question: Has anyone found the tune in Homecoming / 0rigins yet?
November 30, 2009 - R.I.P. Akira Yamaoka's career. Goodnight Sweet Prince.
[spoiler]Its mentioned in the play novel that Heather's birthday is April 20th...
Which is my birthday, weed day, and Hitler's birthday.[/spoiler]
nicole84
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by nicole84 »

Stray wrote:Anybody listened to Akira's album "Ifuturelist" ? I was really dissapointed with that stuff. I admit I was expecting something like SH, but still that album was just poor. There wasn't even one song I would like from that shit. My faith in his creativeness really went down after that.
Yup. Unfortunately, that's the kind of music he actually makes, so I guess I really wouldn't like his stuff outside SH. The only song I liked from his personal album was an orchestral ballad called "Maria", although I can't understand the lyrics, they're in Japaneese :P As for that
MMY wrote:
I mentioned this in the other thread, and have for years: Every Silent Hill soundtrack has re-used the same fill/solo at the end of "Silent Hill" from the first game. It's been in "Silent Hill" (2:03), "Theme Of Laura" (2:01) "I Want Love" (2:30), and "Your Rain" (2:52).
, I'm gonna check it out right now, I hadn't noticed.
PrescitedEntity
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by PrescitedEntity »

nicole84 wrote:
Stray wrote:Anybody listened to Akira's album "Ifuturelist" ? I was really dissapointed with that stuff. I admit I was expecting something like SH, but still that album was just poor. There wasn't even one song I would like from that shit. My faith in his creativeness really went down after that.
Yup. Unfortunately, that's the kind of music he actually makes, so I guess I really wouldn't like his stuff outside SH. The only song I liked from his personal album was an orchestral ballad called "Maria", although I can't understand the lyrics, they're in Japaneese :P
iFuturelist was crap. I've revised my stance on him from him being musically talented to being gifted in the wrong genre for his own preferences. It affects his SH soundtracks insofar as he's been trying to incorporate some of that nonsense into them ever since he was lauded for SH1 and SH2.

He seems to do best when he's being given direction on what to compose, a la SH or some of his older DDR songs.
Martee
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Martee »

iFuturelist was a different genre of music, which doesn't instantly qualify it as crap, but talking about Akira on a Silent Hill forum and saying he's rubbish because his album that has nothing to do with Silent Hill isn't a valid arguement. Also iFuturelist is pretty much just a compilation CD of his work on DDR and stuff like that isn't it?

Also before someone just comes out and says 'but it IS rubbish'... I quite like it, and finally before someone comes out and says 'you only like it because it's Akira'... No, I hated it at first and then it grew on me.

Covering all my bases there so that I don't have to post more times ^^ :P :P
My supply fell through...
Kiki
Just Passing Through

Post by Kiki »

What do people seem to dislike the vocal tracks :?: I have always loved the mixture of mood tracks and vocal. If you listen to a soundtrack all the way through it adds to the emotion and gives a epic feel. I love all the emotion in his work and the different sounds and styles (although a lot of themes are used alot, say in the solos) :D
Numb Body01
Historical Society Historian

Post by Numb Body01 »

They're cheesy, OTT and too literal.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Ioncannon
Just Passing Through

Post by Ioncannon »

I'd like to think that the riff is the theme or motif of Silent Hill... that or I have been playing too much Left 4 Dead (The songs incorporate the special infected motifs, especially the horde horn warning which is played in the intro of the menu and ending theme). I have to say though it's my favorite part of the original Silent Hill theme.
BloodyFanGirl
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by BloodyFanGirl »

I noticed the reused riff and...don't mind it as much as I feel I ought to.
In some ways it's kind of a cool reference to previous Silent Hill games.
In another way it gives Yamaoka an excuse to be lazy. :/
I also agree that the lyrics for the theme songs have been getting too literal as of recent years. I like being able to draw my own interpretations from music and art, personally.
Kronos
Just Passing Through

Post by Kronos »

I'll point this out - Him reusing sounds is NOT him being lazy. Silent Hill consists of many similar themes and whatnot, and some of the stories do tie in together (rather heavily I may add; SH1 and SH3 relate heavily, SH2 - SH4 do with Walter, SH:O and SHH with Travis etc.) . The fact that Konami REIMAGINED SH1 in SH:SM, would lead us to believe Yamaoka would feel comfortable REIMAGINING the soundtrack, using bits and pieces from past games.

Just like when Capcom remade Resident Evil 1 for the gamecube; the water in the lab room theme was the same, some of the mansion themes where the same etc. , because the game was reimagined, so the soundtrack was similar in some ways but different in many other ways.

And Yamaoka reusing that lick in the SH 'rock' songs is NOT him being lazy. It's him using a theme in many of his songs to tie them all together. I was actually waiting to hear that lick somewhere when I first heard the SM soundtrack, and when I heard it near the end of the album I was so happy and got goosebumps. It's like, each Resident Evil game really isn't Resident Evil unless some cheesy guy with horrible effects says "RESIDENT... EVIIILLL" when you start the game. It's not totally Silent Hill unless you hear that theme played, the theme that ties all the games together beautifully. It's a SH trademark, and it's featured in the soundtrack of every single SH soundtrack so far.

My thoughts. =)
Meestah Kennedy
Just Passing Through

Post by Meestah Kennedy »

I checked the vocal tracks on the Homecoming and 0rigins soundtracks, and I couldn't find the solo.
silenced angel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by silenced angel »

No, the solo is not used at all in SH:Z and SH:H soundtracks. I know it because I noticed the reused solo or arrangement a few years ago, and supposed it'd be reused again in Origins or Homecoming, but nothing.

Also it can be heared in "Waiting for you" from SH4 OST. It starts at 4:10.

And also I liked ifuturelist, specialy "Love me do", "Maria", "Injection of love" and "Bitmania" and this is coming from someone who really don't like j-pop :P
nanook in heaven...
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I gave the times in which the fill is used on past soundtracks on the first page.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.