Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 18 Nov 2018

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 28 Aug 2009
Notes left: 379
Last seen at: Blue Creek Apartments
I liked the fast chase sequences but I wish they were less frustrating like the motion controls. Sometimes they were awesome and sometimes they sucked. The ending was kind of a downer. I expected more of an explanation and Dr.K straight up creeped me out.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Sep 2009
Notes left: 274
Jecht wrote:
I liked the fast chase sequences but I wish they were less frustrating like the motion controls. Sometimes they were awesome and sometimes they sucked. The ending was kind of a downer. I expected more of an explanation and Dr.K straight up creeped me out.
Yeah towards the end, Dr. K started to really change character. On my playthrough he was nice for a while and then became real hostile and bitter, he also starting going into these rather crazed tirades about how sex is death and I'm denying both. I was thinking he was going to turn into the main villain or something. :lol:

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 17 Sep 2009
Notes left: 770
Last seen at: Portland, OR
Overall, I have to say I'm disappointed. Now, normally after a statement like I would add: "but if I don't think of it as an actual Silent Hill game, then it's not really a bad game at all." While that may have worked with Silent Hill 4 and Homecoming, it really doesn't work with Shattered Memories. There were just so many things wrong with this game, and it's hard to find redeeming qualities that actually matter. All the things I read about that seemed cool or innovative fell flat.

First of all, is the big controversial topic of "no combat". I thought, if they pulled it off right, it would have been a good idea for the game. Perhaps Harry would be forced to sneak around monsters, keep out of their sights all stealthily-like? THAT would have actually been interesting. And it's not so much that being forced to run away from time to time was that bad, but it just got old. I'll admit it got a little exciting a couple times, when I felt as if Harry was actually running fast (most of the time it felt painfully slow). Also, as directionally dyslexic as I am, and with no time to pull out the GPS in situations like these, you can imagine I ran myself in circles a few times.

Other aspects of the gameplay weren't any good, either. The controls (I played on the Wii) were downright awful at times. Now, I don't know if it was just me, but often times my "swings" would be unresponsive, or just wrong. Sometime, during chase scenes, if I attempted to turn slightly (not enough to merit a quick turn), Harry would begin walking even though I was holding down the "run" button. Sometimes, simply pointing the camera in the direction I wanted it to go was a pain.

Moving onto another thing that I thought would be awesome, was the whole "psychology" aspect. Actually, this may STILL be a cool idea, since I've only played the game once I don't know how anything will change when I play through again and answer questions differently. Some of my favorite parts actually took place in Dr. K's office, but I can't help but think that he misread me entirely. So I answered a few questions that probably made me seem like a sexual person, so as I'm playing the game I see nudity, suggestive themes and slutty women everywhere? Maybe everyone sees this stuff, I don't really know yet, but seriously. Actually, now that I think about it, how did doing those little "exercise" make the game any scarier? Well, for me, it didn't. This was probably the least scariest survival horror game I've ever played (not including the newer Resident Evils, or are they considered "action" games now?).

Lastly, the story. Well, as we all know, Shattered Memories is a "re-imagining" of sorts. Wait, a "re-imagining"? Of what? This game resembled the first one in less ways then the movie did! And THAT is saying something! Actually, they would have just been better of changing everyone's name and calling it a brand new story. The only similarities I would have even noticed were: "A guy crashes and his daughter is missing in Silent Hill." Okay, they could have just made it his son instead (that's never been done before), and I probably wouldn't have thought twice. Well, maybe I would have, with the cop and nurse characters- but I would have thought of those as throwbacks. Even the locations... okay, there was a school, a hospital (but there's one in every game), sewer and... well, there was ALMOST a lighthouse. And as far as the actual plot of this game goes, it wasn't predictable at ALL that Dr. K was talking to Cheryl all along (not). But I'll admit that I wasn't entirely disappointed with the ending, or even the story at all. Even it was basically recycling the only good "twist" Homecoming had... (because we all know the other twist of Homecoming was just recycled from Silent Hill 2. GAH! This series is dead.)

One last small thing that I was disappointed in were the visuals. Not so much the actual graphics, but the animation. When the characters talked they just looked weird! And speaking of looking weird, I found all the characters to be hideous (especially Harry), with the exception of Cheryl (she was adorable, but she DID look a lot like Heather, so...). The monsters were also very... boring. They reminded me of unfinished polygon models. The lighting in the game wasn't impressive at all compared to typical Silent Hill standards. Even Homecoming had better lighting. The light in this game just didn't look as natural, and the shadows cast from it (always helps make SH games look AMAZING) hardly moved at all. Even when I shook my flashlight from side to side, the shadows stayed in one place! For some reason they moved a lot during that shadow puzzle in the art room, though. If only they applied that to the entire game, the lighting would have been half way decent.

Now, I know I'm sounding awfully harsh, but this is definitely my least favorite SH game yet. There were some good things about this game, every now and then I would think "that was a nice touch." When the world turned icy, it was truly fun to watch (especially the first time it happened). The voice acting was pretty good, with the exception of the line "I love you, Daddy." Not sure why, it just sounded laughable. Some of the areas were fun to just simply explore. The soundtrack was good, but even that was lacking compared to the older games. I mean, the ambiance was fine, but anyone else think the music was repetitive and didn't stand out?

Anyway, that wasn't really meant to turn into an article, but oh well. If you actually read all that, then... I'm surprised.

Apocali wrote:
Yeah towards the end, Dr. K started to really change character. On my playthrough he was nice for a while and then became real hostile and bitter, he also starting going into these rather crazed tirades about how sex is death and I'm denying both. I was thinking he was going to turn into the main villain or something. :lol:

heh, that's exactly what happened in my game. just because I found NONE of those darn pictures sexual, he started flipping out telling me I was denying death. It was a big WTF moment for me, to say the least.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Oct 2009
Notes left: 2523
Ryoshockwave wrote:

First of all, is the big controversial topic of "no combat". I thought, if they pulled it off right, it would have been a good idea for the game. Perhaps Harry would be forced to sneak around monsters, keep out of their sights all stealthily-like? THAT would have actually been interesting. And it's not so much that being forced to run away from time to time was that bad, but it just got old. I'll admit it got a little exciting a couple times, when I felt as if Harry was actually running fast (most of the time it felt painfully slow). Also, as directionally dyslexic as I am, and with no time to pull out the GPS in situations like these, you can imagine I ran myself in circles a few times.

Provided the monsters aren't literally after you at a moment (which I found there were a few of), you have a chance to check it quickly and keep going. I do agree, though, that it felt slightly slow at times.
Ryoshockwave wrote:
Other aspects of the gameplay weren't any good, either. The controls (I played on the Wii) were downright awful at times. Now, I don't know if it was just me, but often times my "swings" would be unresponsive, or just wrong. Sometime, during chase scenes, if I attempted to turn slightly (not enough to merit a quick turn), Harry would begin walking even though I was holding down the "run" button. Sometimes, simply pointing the camera in the direction I wanted it to go was a pain.

The swings take a little getting used to, but once you've figured out the mechanics, they're not really that hard. I had no trouble with turning, though. I wonder if you need a new Wii Remote?

Ryoshockwave wrote:
Moving onto another thing that I thought would be awesome, was the whole "psychology" aspect. Actually, this may STILL be a cool idea, since I've only played the game once I don't know how anything will change when I play through again and answer questions differently. Some of my favorite parts actually took place in Dr. K's office, but I can't help but think that he misread me entirely. So I answered a few questions that probably made me seem like a sexual person, so as I'm playing the game I see nudity, suggestive themes and slutty women everywhere? Maybe everyone sees this stuff, I don't really know yet, but seriously. Actually, now that I think about it, how did doing those little "exercise" make the game any scarier? Well, for me, it didn't. This was probably the least scariest survival horror game I've ever played (not including the newer Resident Evils, or are they considered "action" games now?).

From what I've seen, the main main story doesn't change, but your ending will and the characters' dispositions and appearances will. I need to play more to get a better idea of it.

There are pictures of women and such throughout as a part of the theme of Cheryl's psyche, though I should think it may happen more if you answer more sexually. From what I've seen so far, it seems to mainly affect Cybil.
Ryoshockwave]
Lastly, the story. Well, as we all know, Shattered Memories is a "re-imagining" of sorts. Wait, a "re-imagining"? Of what? This game resembled the first one in less ways then the movie did! And THAT is saying something! Actually, they would have just been better of changing everyone's name and calling it a brand new story. The only similarities I would have even noticed were: "A guy crashes and his daughter is missing in Silent Hill." Okay, they could have just made it his son instead (that's never been done before), and I probably wouldn't have thought twice. Well, maybe I would have, with the cop and nurse characters- but I would have thought of those as throwbacks. Even the locations... okay, there was a school, a hospital (but there's one in every game), sewer and... well, there was ALMOST a lighthouse. And as far as the actual plot of this game goes, it wasn't predictable at ALL that Dr. K was talking to Cheryl all along (not). But I'll admit that I wasn't entirely disappointed with the ending, or even the story at all. Even it was basically recycling the only good "twist" Homecoming had... (because we all know the other twist of Homecoming was just recycled from Silent Hill 2. GAH! This series is dead.) [/quote]

Er... Climax stated multiple times that it is the characters from the first in VASTLY different situations. I'm not sure what you really were expecting; they've mentioned it before.

I personally found it completely unpredictable that K was talking to Cheryl. It didn't become apparent to me until Cybil mentioned he was dead, and even then it was still confusing. I don't think it was quite recycling; it's stated in SH2 that Mary is dead even at the beginning of the game, and Homecoming has a similar twist... but it's still somewhat different. While I do think the "WAIT NO THEY'RE DEAD WAIT ALIVE WAIT DEAD" should be retired somewhat, I found the idea interesting since you played as someone who wasn't actually there at all.

[quote="Ryoshockwave wrote:
The lighting in the game wasn't impressive at all compared to typical Silent Hill standards. Even Homecoming had better lighting. The light in this game just didn't look as natural, and the shadows cast from it (always helps make SH games look AMAZING) hardly moved at all. Even when I shook my flashlight from side to side, the shadows stayed in one place! For some reason they moved a lot during that shadow puzzle in the art room, though. If only they applied that to the entire game, the lighting would have been half way decent.

I agree that the shadows could've been worked on a bit more, but I find it hard to agree that the flashlight was terrible; not only do I think they were good, but the majority of the reviews praise it.
Ryoshockwave wrote:
Apocali wrote:

heh, that's exactly what happened in my game. just because I found NONE of those darn pictures sexual, he started flipping out telling me I was denying death. It was a big WTF moment for me, to say the least.
[/quote]

I think he does that no matter what; my friend had some images on the sexual side, but he picks one up and it has a car on the backside and he starts flipping out about death again.

Last edited by Yuki on 10 Dec 2009, edited 1 time in total.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 28 Aug 2009
Notes left: 379
Last seen at: Blue Creek Apartments
I couldnt disagree with you more, Ryo. I loved the fast pace chases and I got lost ALOT and I think thats what made it worth it. It wasn't clear cut where you had to go unless you looked at the GPS map even then it didn't show the room outlines so it was harder than that. I think if it was more stealth-oriented that it would be horrible because you could check your map more and get a sense of direction. A few times I just wanted to check my map but couldn't because I heard the radio.

I agree the whole "your dead, alive dead" thing was kind of stupid but the twist was really well done because you didn't know what to expect. if I hadn't been spoiled I would have been way more surprised about it. The story wasn't meant to be a clear remake, they completely left out Alessa. The way i look at it is, it's a brand new game with characters we know already. Mainly Harry, Cybil, Lisa, Dr.K and Dhalia

Quote:
Yeah towards the end, Dr. K started to really change character. On my playthrough he was nice for a while and then became real hostile and bitter, he also starting going into these rather crazed tirades about how sex is death and I'm denying both. I was thinking he was going to turn into the main villain or something. Laughing

Yeah thats what creeped me out. I didn't put any as sexual and he flipped out. I didn't get that at all.

Something I'm wondering about is

[spoiler]the test about guilty and not guilty. It seemed like that could have changed the ending a lot I guess. [/spoiler]

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 17 Sep 2009
Notes left: 770
Last seen at: Portland, OR
Yuki wrote:
The swings take a little getting used to, but once you've figured out the mechanics, they're not really that hard. I had no trouble with turning, though. I wonder if you need a new Wii Remote?

Oh, they weren't hard to pull off. I'm talking every now and then it would just either A) not work at all, when I clearly made the motion, or B) it would do the wrong motion. But I do think it may be my Wiimote, as it's sometimes unresponsive in other games as well.

Yuki wrote:
Er... Climax stated multiple times that it is the characters from the first in VASTLY different situations. I'm not sure what you really were expecting; they've mentioned it before.

And I'm saying: What's the point? Why not just use all new characters in all-new scenario? Smells like a marketing gimmick.

Yuki wrote:
I personally found it completely unpredictable that K was talking to Cheryl.

It crossed my mind multiple times during the course of the game, especially since they never show Harry in the room (because it's first person, I know, but there is no other "indicator" that it's him, which led me to start thinking it was probably someone else). I admit I didn't figure this out right away, because during the earlier parts of the game I was thinking it was going to be another "Cheryl was dead all along" type things.[/quote]

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 May 2006
Notes left: 131
Last seen at: in the depths of the Lakeside Amusment Park
I found this to be easily the first american made SH done completly right, tho not perfect (going in circles in nightmare mode!) it still gave me a story i enjoyed and an experiance that was all Silent Hill.

the trapped in a car scene's rocked my boat. and i found that dispite some frantic wii-mote freak outs in nightmare mode the game used the motion controls perfectly, even more so than most other titles i've played on the Wii

over all i loved Shattered Memories and hope the next game is a climax title and at least as good as this release

Post subject:

Ryoshockwave wrote:

Oh, they weren't hard to pull off. I'm talking every now and then it would just either A) not work at all, when I clearly made the motion, or B) it would do the wrong motion. But I do think it may be my Wiimote, as it's sometimes unresponsive in other games as well.

Check your Wiimote, then, definitely; I had very little problem with mine, save for when I'd try to rotate things like the car windows.
Ryoshockwave wrote:
And I'm saying: What's the point? Why not just use all new characters in all-new scenario? Smells like a marketing gimmick.

I can agree with that, though I had very little problem with it myself. The producer even said himself they did it because most people who play Wii haven't played Silent Hill 1, and it'd be better to restart everything than throw them into the middle of the series.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Nov 2009
Notes left: 58
Being able to have the GPS out while running, and being able to run while zoomed in would have been nice additions. Other than a few control issues (mainly due to my own flailing outside of the range of the sensor bar) I don't have a lot of complaints... The chase sequences started to get a little repetitive and I wish there were some usable items to collect (other than keys). And, more difficult puzzles...yeah, I think that's it.

Post subject:

Missing since: 14 Jan 2004
Notes left: 2965
Last seen at: Moon base #25
The puzzles :shock:

thats the only thing I did not like about the game. the puzzles were so ridiculosly easy. The only one that gave me trouble was the gumball puzzle, but solved it in like 5 mins.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 09 Apr 2009
Notes left: 412
What was wrong with the lighting effects? I thought the shadows were the best I've seen in a wii game, and the flashlight looked better to me than any silent hill game, including homecoming.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 02 Dec 2007
Notes left: 73
Last seen at: R'Lyeh
I thought the game was horrible. They completely took out the main story and replaced it with one of those, "stories taking place only in the mind," things, of which I am not a fan of... I mean, whats the point of such a story when nothing gets accomplished? I mean, they took out Alessa and the Order and the Order's plan taking away the supernatural aspect of the game, and replaced it with Cheryl telling the story to a shrink, and because of that, caused these manifestations of her mind, and if you're living with these manifestations, then what are you accomplishing? Nothing of course.

The Icy Hell, was ok, but the lack of minor details meant to disturb you made the game seem too clean. Most of the monsters looked the same, practically no variety in the monsters. For me, instead of feeling helpless as intended in the nightmare sections, it was panic; I mean those things can see you from a mile away. And because of this, the game becomes predictable. In the real world, you're safe, but in the nightmare world, you become a homing beacon, and for that, it takes away the atmosphere shown from the other games. Too linear too, as they didn't give much exploration space.

"Deep into that darkness peering,
Long I stood there,
Wondering... Fearing... Doubting..."

-Edgar Allen Poe-

Post subject:

Teimoshi wrote:
I thought the game was horrible. They completely took out the main story and replaced it with one of those, "stories taking place only in the mind," things, of which I am not a fan of... I mean, whats the point of such a story when nothing gets accomplished? I mean, they took out Alessa and the Order and the Order's plan taking away the supernatural aspect of the game, and replaced it with Cheryl telling the story to a shrink, and because of that, caused these manifestations of her mind, and if you're living with these manifestations, then what are you accomplishing? Nothing of course.

The Icy Hell, was ok, but the lack of minor details meant to disturb you made the game seem too clean. Most of the monsters looked the same, practically no variety in the monsters. For me, instead of feeling helpless as intended in the nightmare sections, it was panic; I mean those things can see you from a mile away. And because of this, the game becomes predictable. In the real world, you're safe, but in the nightmare world, you become a homing beacon, and for that, it takes away the atmosphere shown from the other games. Too linear too, as they didn't give much exploration space.

As much as I disagree with you, most of that is subjective. However, something DID get accomplished, at least in most of the endings; while physically not much happened, the entire game (usually) is a psychological journey for Cheryl, with the majority of playthroughs leading her from being a delusional twenty-five-year-old with daddy issues to realizing her problems and beginning to truly work through them. It's not a physical journey, but stuff still does occur.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Apr 2006
Notes left: 533
Last seen at: Nowhere
Quote:

I thought this was an entertaining game by itself. It didn't need to use the same names of the characters in SH1 because they aren't the same characters at all. It's a completely different story, and I appreciated that. Then again I love psychological-based games. They're always more interesting than a purely physical storyline to me.

If they didn't use the same names then it would've been perfect, in my opinion. Good story, entertaining gameplay, etc. so I can't agree that the game was horrible. They just needed new names. ;)

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Nov 2003
Notes left: 128
Personally I find it odd that it might be seen to have nothing accomplished. Maybe it's down to being a different type of person but a journey through the psyche and coming out the other side having learned something has much more impact for me, and a sense of acheivement, than cults, demons, magic and stuff like that. Like LuLu, psychological-based games are more interesting to me compared with just the physical stuff, especially when that psychical stuff is all a bit, well, you know, once I got to the bit about the gyromancy in Silent Hill 1, it just sort of lost me.

Fine in an episode of Charmed, I'm sure, but I was so glad when that was left behind in Silent Hill 2.

And I adore that Shattered Memories leaves that behind completely. As a real person who rarely uses the words 'magic spell', a psychological exploration of a real-life trauma brings with it more weight than a Flauros and agopholesuseses or whatever that red stuff was in SH1 (ketchup? Has that theory been discussed?).

Though, for me, I really like that they used the same names. I didn't at first and didn't see the need for it but, after a while, I realised that part of the fun of Shattered Memories was in the parallel journey (sort of) with the original. It was fun seeing those same elements, characters, places completely reinterpreted in a new story. I actually found there to be a lot of value in that.

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11380
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
What Dogg said. Would you rather have a psychological allegory where "nothing happens" (which is completely erroneous, because if you're playing Silent Hill so that events happen, you're playing the wrong franchise anyway), or would you rather have more hackneyed stereotypical devil cult stuff with no substance?

Quote:
It didn't need to use the same names of the characters in SH1 because they aren't the same characters at all.

That's completely missing the point, though. The entirety of Shattered Memories isn't so much a new take on SH1 as it is a deconstruction of it. Without the connection to the past games this way, the game truly becomes emptier. We are Cheryl, in every sense. Just as she's attached to Harry and idealizes him, so does much of the fanbase, to the point where there are still threads of mourning over his death in SH3.

Shattered Memories takes the heart of the common fan and literally rips it apart and breaks down their idealization of Harry Mason, hero of our initial fandom. And with that broken down and laid on the table, we finally bid farewell to Harry and Cheryl Mason, forever.

If Harry Mason was some random LArry Stone character, we'd all be theorizing, "Oh, he killed his daughter Sharon, or he raped her, or she never existed, or some crap like that. Fuck this guy." You never thought that with Harry, did you? Even if you did, I'm sure you didn't want it to be true.

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 3837
Last seen at: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.
What disappointed me was the lack of anything really disturbing or creepy in the game. It lacked the abstract disturbing atmosphere that silent hill is known for, the chase sequences were not scary(oh no ice snow and black darkness) and i thought the rawshocks were far from scary especially considering how they look like aliens, sound exactly the same(they scream like little girls) and hug you. I mean the environment was interesting to explore but there was nothing really scary to be found. I think climax would be more fit to work on there own mystery game rather than silent hill.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Jan 2006
Notes left: 778
Last seen at: Somewhere called 'Great Yarmouth'
I've got to say even though this game isn't scary in the slightest, it didn't disappoint me at all. I liked everything about this game especially the very unpredictable ending which Climax or Sam Barlow should be highly praised for writing, unlike the reveal for Homecoming which was predictable for any one who knows something about the series.

Silent Hill 1 is by far my favourite Silent Hill entry so I was not expecting to enjoy Shattered Memories as much as I did. The reason why they chose Silent Hill 1 to be 'reimagined' was in my opinion for fans of the first game having certain expectations of characters and certain plot points, also, being released on the Wii, newcomers aren't going to have to play or do hours of reading backstory from previous games which in retrospect I think was extremely clever of Climax since newcomers and long term fans will get a fantastic experience that differ depending on which one refers to them.

The major flaw of the game is its longevity and linearity, even with these flaws though, the game accomplishes much with its story themes and characters. Its certainly more thought out then Homecoming and Origins which felt to me at least, like a bad imitation of what we had already played and experienced. Shattered Memories was something new and fresh and I commend Climax for the courage to try something new while the flood of shooters and gun metal gray games are over filling shelves.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Apr 2006
Notes left: 533
Last seen at: Nowhere
Quote:
That's completely missing the point, though. The entirety of Shattered Memories isn't so much a new take on SH1 as it is a deconstruction of it. Without the connection to the past games this way, the game truly becomes emptier. We are Cheryl, in every sense. Just as she's attached to Harry and idealizes him, so does much of the fanbase, to the point where there are still threads of mourning over his death in SH3.

Shattered Memories takes the heart of the common fan and literally rips it apart and breaks down their idealization of Harry Mason, hero of our initial fandom. And with that broken down and laid on the table, we finally bid farewell to Harry and Cheryl Mason, forever.

How is my statement completely missing the point then? Their mistake was keeping the names of the original characters, in my opinion. If they hadn't done that then there would be no connection to the original characters, which would've made SH:SM better. It would've just been another story that took place in Silent Hill rather than a re-imagining (or deconstructing) of the original game.

I realize they probably did this for marketing purposes, and to keep some sort of attachment to the previous games, but that was a mistake... which is what I was trying to convey with my statement.

Regardless, SH:SM didn't kill the original Harry and Cheryl for me. Harry and Cheryl Mason in SH1 are completely different characters to me, and I don't associate them with the SH:SM Harry and Cheryl Mason at all.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Jan 2006
Notes left: 778
Last seen at: Somewhere called 'Great Yarmouth'
They are completely different characters, the reason I think they were named as such is get you to expect certain actions and dialogue from certain characters, and when they don't fulfil their their roles and lines your expectations will have been shot for something unique. Climax could not have achieved that with new characters and locations.