The Review Thread

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Re: The Review Thread

Post by AuraTwilight »

Symbols can have multiple meanings, bro.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

AuraTwilight wrote:Symbols can have multiple meanings, bro.
We aren't talking about symbols, bro.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Except yes, we are. Characters are literally symbols capable of taking actions and vocalizing their fictional thought processes, even outside of psycho-dramas like Silent Hill.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Tillerman wrote:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
He can't simultaneously be both her actual personality and her idealized version of her's father's personality.
Not simultaneously. Harry's official function is to serve Cheryl's idolized vision of Harry. But Harry's an avatar, Cheryl's avatar, so it's logical that at times she's actually manifesting her own behavior and tendencies, as much as she's trying to fabricate Harry's. Similiarly goes with all of the female characters. Although they're manifested individually with different personalities, they're all symbols of Cheryl at the same time.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

AuraTwilight wrote:Except yes, we are. Characters are literally symbols capable of taking actions and vocalizing their fictional thought processes, even outside of psycho-dramas like Silent Hill.
Seems like you're still having a little trouble following.
We were specifically talking about whether Cheryl's personality was manifesting through Harry. Not symbolically, but *literally.* The question is whether we can get to know Cheryl's behavior and tendencies by watching Harry's behavior and tendencies. Saying that Harry is a "symbol" for Cheryl doesn't actually answer this question, does it?
mikefile wrote:
Not simultaneously. Harry's official function is to serve Cheryl's idolized vision of Harry. But Harry's an avatar, Cheryl's avatar, so it's logical that at times she's actually manifesting her own behavior and tendencies, as much as she's trying to fabricate Harry's. Similiarly goes with all of the female characters. Although they're manifested individually with different personalities, they're all symbols of Cheryl at the same time.
I agree with the first part, that's his role. Now, as for the second part, I'll grant you it's logical that *pieces* of her personality would show up in not only Harry's character, but every character... in the same sense that when you're writing a story, pieces of you will end up in all of the characters. However, without knowing the writer specifically, how will you know which pieces end up where? You won't, will you? That's what I meant before about both ideas dilluting each other. And that's why you can't actually get to know Cheryl this way, you can only speculate on what she might be like. There's a profound difference between speculating about Cheryl and actually getting to know Cheryl, don't you think?

All we are left with is a ghost character, one you have to imagine in your head based on the clues in the game. That's all well and good, but the problem with the game is that in the end that's *all* there is. Nothing more. The Harry that you spend time getting to know during your first playthrough doesn't exist, his conflict (which is the heart of the game's drama) is meaningless. Subtext is fine but it needs a text.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Tillerman wrote:
Now, as for the second part, I'll grant you it's logical that *pieces* of her personality would show up in not only Harry's character, but every character...
Yes, but mostly in Harry, since it's his adventure and his character that Cheryl is so minutely describing to Kaufmann
Tillerman wrote:
And that's why you can't actually get to know Cheryl this way, you can only speculate on what she might be like. There's a profound difference between speculating about Cheryl and actually getting to know Cheryl, don't you think?
I see your point. I honestly do. But it comes out banally. You're saying that if we don't get our character walking, opening doors and solving riddles in first person, we can't substantially get it. It's not like that. For instance, when you played with James, did his surliness or his surface behavior tell you anything about what really lies beyond. Not really. You had monsters, other characters/symbols for that. In SM, you don't even need that, 'cause you're directly placed in the place of the most intense dreams and fears of the subconscious.

SM gives actually the most possible of Cheryl. The only thing we don't get is a body and a physical appearence. Instead, we get the whole mind to explore in order to solve her riddle.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

mikefile wrote:
I see your point. I honestly do. But it comes out banally. You're saying that if we don't get our character walking, opening doors and solving riddles in first person, we can't substantially get it. It's not like that. For instance, when you played with James, did his surliness or his surface behavior tell you anything about what really lies beyond. Not really.
That's not the point... with James, you had a character who you got to know as you played the game. All you need are some cutscenes showing off that surface behavior. That's important, because first you need to appreciate what's on the surface before you can care what's under the surface. If James wasn't as likable, the twist towards the end wouldn't have nearly the same impact.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

I really don't know how to write a "professional" review or anything so I'll just throw in my random thoughts for someone that wants to read them.

Got the game at the start of this year, in a random shop, but only had the time (and the patience) to move my PS2 to another room and play it without any problems like a month ago.

Anyway, at first I was skeptical about the whole thing but I don't remember bashing and adressing the game (or those that worked on them) in a bitchy way. Search my posts with the tags Shattered Memories and fight me if you want but I really don't remember.

I really liked what they did with the town. Baukan Church turned into a Club. Midwhich Elementary turned into a High School, those were nice, fresh, different things.
The "fog world" parts were the best, especially when they happened during the day. They always remind me of the first bits in SH1 and the Rosewater Park part in SH2.

They turned the town into a real resort place. With signs, posts and propaganda everywhere. Just like a commercial area should be. I don't remember any of these things in the old games save for when they adressed Toluca Lake and Lakeside Amusement Park.

The characters. What can I say about them? Interesting and well done. Lisa wasn't annoying anymore, can you believe it?! Harry wasn't a wimp or anything like I read some saying in the past, he was just a normal, frightened individual with no idea what was going on. Just like the old Harry. Just like James and everyone else apart from Henry. That guy was always sleeping in the job. Kaufmann was the best character of the game, hands down.
The voice acting was top notch though that's not a surprise. All the actual games have a nice set of actors working on them.

The soundtrack was nice. It had the same "beats" of the old ones but something felt fresh and different though I'm not sure about why.

And the twist.
Since day one I had that "Harry is dead" feeling on my gut and I was right. But what made me go into "What the Fuck" mode was Cheryl being... How do I put it... "Lectured" by Kaufmann! I really thought the one that was answering all the questions was Harry! Well done, Climax. Well done.
Great story is great. Sad to see the team that worked on such great games like 0rigins, Shattered Memories and Downpour are gone. Fuck you Konami, you don't know what you're missing. These guys are geniuses.
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

I just finished the game again so I guess I'm in a good spot to review.

Gameplay- So who liked Heavy Rain? What about the Walking Dead? Not much gameplay which isn't a bad thing, but very surprising for a Silent Hill game. Most of the game you are walking/running or looking at your fancy cell phone. Chase sequences have been exhaustively talked about, and all I'm going to say is---- uh they were by far the worst part of the game.

Audio- Some very good music and voice acting. Rawshock screams and ghost girl screams got tiring.

Puzzles- I actually think there was a good variety of puzzles. The art room was really hard, but things like the toucan puzzle in the mall, and the bird toy machine were interesting. Finding the keys were too easy.

Graphics- Very nice and there are a lot of trinkets and things to zoom in and look at.

Story- Top notch. I was blown away at the end. I could relate to Cheryl with some of the things she went through.

Characters- Again another huge plus. I thought Michelle was the best all around. I was so surprised I got to meet her boyfriend, though I liked even more with how it tied to Harry and Dahlia's relationship.

Horror- Lacking. It had music and atmosphere, but absolutely no fighting and monsters made this a bit of a snorefest. There are a couple moments in the game such as in the theater and the bridge scene, but honestly I was most afraid of my cell phone ringing loudly or beeping loudly.

Overall, a good game, but the worst Silent Hill game.

7.5/10
Just Passing Through

Post by 911 »

I thought it was cool even if it wasn't really scary. I have been affraid just one time. The only thing that is really great about this game is it's story because I loved the twist in the end. But it wasn't really like a real Silent Hill. Like it has been said, it's a really good game but the worst Silent Hill. I am playing Origins right now and I think that climax did a better job with origins for the moment.
DirtyNorris
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by DirtyNorris »

For years I've wanted to write about Shattered Memories. I don't think I will ever be able to in a way that feels fully satisfying, so here's my best shot so far.

https://www.destructoid.com/blogs/My+En ... phtml#post

I poured far too much of myself into this game. I wonder if anyone else can relate? I love the Silent Hill series on its own merits, but it's impossible to ignore just how much my love of the series was tied up with where my life was at the time.
[img]http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac241/DirtyNorris/o0p1cpjpg.png[/img]