The Review Thread

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Siaye
Just Passing Through

Post by Siaye »

I went into this game thinking I wouldn't like it. Silent Hill on the Wii? How scary could it be?

It didn't take long for the paranoia to kick in. 'This game is watching my every move. It's kinda creepy.' And when I got used to the "point & walk" controls, I was actually beginning to like this game. The voice acting was great, the graphics were gorgeous, and I was starting to get that eeire feeling that something dreadful was waiting around the next corner.

The story is the same, but it's not. And I know that makes no sense. It's kinda like when your grandparents tell you a story about something stupid your dad did when he was a teenager. Suddenly, something familiar is something new. It's like hearing a new song on the radio, then hearing a remix the next week.

Around the time when the school froze over, I had the feeling that Harry wasn't going to be getting any weapons. At first, this annoyed me a bit. At least Travis would use his fists. But after running for my life through a couple nightmare scenes, I began to appreciate this bold, new aspect of gameplay. Speaking of the nightmare scenes, these are some of the most terrifying and exciting parts of any game that I've played in a long time. The fluid movements mixed with the always-so-awesome soundtrack made me feel like I was right there with Harry, frantically searching this dark abyss for the next blue marker, running for my very life. It was all brilliant fun.

The areas that you explore were very well thought out. It didn't feel repetitive (SH4), unnescissarily complex (SHH), or annoyingly drawn out and seamed together "just to make it really big" (SH3).
The atmosphere was true to the series and was full of places to explore. This was true to the point where it no longer felt like a 're-make' of SH1. It felt as though I were playing SH1 for the first time, all over again. Except.... y'know... I wasn't.

The Good:
-A new experience that I (surprisingly) enjoyed very much
-Amazing soundtrack, as usual
-Graphics are top notch
-Characters are well played and believable
-Areas work together well and always stay exciting
-The monsters were terrifying
-The 'psych' system will mess with your head... a lot.

The Bad:
-Game is a bit short. I would've liked to see more sewer and amusement park.
-Game lacks a 'final boss' of some sort
-The 'psych' system didn't change as much as I thought it would.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

-Game lacks a 'final boss' of some sort
I'm just curious, but given a lack of combat in this game, how would you have dealt with having a final boss?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

giant and crazy, run away with flares here and there lol
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

^^
LMAO!
I can seriously picture that! :roll:
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

They could easily incorporated a final boss without weapons.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Apocali
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apocali »

SM really doesn't seem to be a game that needed bosses in the first place.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

What I mean is how could a "final boss" be incorporated into the story, and how could it be defeated? Maybe you could put it on the ice lake instead of all the Raw Shocks, but that would still give you like...nearly ten full minutes of gameplay after the "boss."
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

It could be defeated by knocking things over onto it, luring it into a trap etc. It doesn't need to be about weapons, use your imagination! As for where it would come in the story, you answered that yourself.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Even still, it would feel horribly contrived and against the mood. Not to mention contradicting the whole "make the player feel powerless and defenseless against the monsters" thing.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

contrived and against the mood

whats wrong with a final attempt to stop harry from making it to the office

plus who says you would have to hurt it

could be kinda like a race or something
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

lol a race. And you wonder why I said it'd be contrived and against the mood.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

well you are running away from the other monsters

what i meant was that it would simply be you trying to get to the office before the uber monster gets you or something

dont mind me i haven't really given any of this any thought just trowing things out there
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

You just used the wrong word, 'chase' would have been more appropriate. And yeah, I can see that working.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

A race against monsters sounds epic.

A chase against monsters sounds lame.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

To each their own then I guess.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

i think a chase sounds better lol but whatever
Teimoshi
Just Passing Through

Post by Teimoshi »

I hated it. They treated the story as though it had all happened in Cheryl's head, which totally took away the supernatural/demonic element. That's mostly why I didn't like it. The graphics were good, but I much prefer the rustic, decayed hell to the icy one. Other than that, I could just ramble about all the other small stuff I didn't like.
[color=red][b]Nevermore.... Nevermore.... Nevermore....[/b][/color]

[color=fuchsia][i]"Deep into that darkness peering,
Long I stood there,
Wondering... Fearing... Doubting..."[/i][/color]
[color=fuchsia]-Edgar Allen Poe-[/color]
MariaRising
Gravedigger

Post by MariaRising »

I enjoyed it. I believed it was a very good attempt at trying something new and different. I liked the older titles yes, but it also seems tried and true. I liked the ice otherworld, the music, and the storyline. I think it has great replay value, which is why I can't seem to stop playing it lol. The only thing I'm not fond of are the chases lol.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I hated it. They treated the story as though it had all happened in Cheryl's head, which totally took away the supernatural/demonic element. That's mostly why I didn't like it.
The director of the game personally interprets the game as being Harry as a Maria construct running around the real town talking to real person. Whether or not you agree with him is entirely your own fault. Even still, how is this really any different from any other game, ever? There's always been intentional ambiguity about whether or not the characters were insane or experiencing real events.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

The game could have had the same symbolism, maybe with a bit more or less, with a rusty otherworld...