[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Silent Hill Heaven • View topic - The Review Thread

Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 26 Feb 2021

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 09 Dec 2009
Notes left: 109
Last seen at: Buffalo

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 02 Oct 2008
Notes left: 3
Im on my 3rd run through and I think the game is a near perfect 10 out of 10. It had its glitches but what game doesnt? and its the first silent hill for the wii. So of course things are gonna be different or simple or glitchy. Its a first. Its starting with a clean slate. The people here who give it Sh*t because its not what they remember from the orignal are pretty dumb in my opinion. Its not a remake or a port of the original. Its a new story with the same basic idea with a new twist. Its not supposed to be a carbon copy. It is its own game with the same characters. I did though miss the eerie siren when things changed. But I personally loved the fact that combat was removed. I mean its always been clunky. And it makes things more intense when having to run for your life. And I love that you can save anywhere anytime rather then having to be late for work or school just so you can find a save point. This game is as the box states. Its the best wii game of 09

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Dec 2009
Notes left: 21

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11387
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 18 May 2009
Notes left: 263
Last seen at: Indiana
Here's my review based on my personal favorite components in a SH title.

This is one of the best SH titles to date in my opinion. I was very satisfied with:

-Gameplay. It offered new ideas and flavors to the similar idea of running away from horrific creatures in a dark, hellish town. I also liked the elimination of weapons, because it made the gameplay that much more symbolic and interesting to boot. The first person therapy sessions are genius, and they enhanced the gameplay with realistic and personal feels. I felt like I was in the game, which is always a good thing. This was the first ever game I played on the Wii, so I was very impressed with the mechanics and being able to directly control the flashlight (a first in SH!!!!).

Another note on the gameplay - the phone was a great idea. I liked how it put away the whole act of reading files all over the town and forced a more immediate response. It could use a little work (like being able to talk more to other characters/actually text them in-game) Other than that, it was amazing to have that phone for it's various purposes, and a great hint to the movie in a way (did anyone else note that?)

-Story. It was alluring, mysterious and one of the most satisfying stories next to SH2's. It eliminated the over-done cult and I liked the fresh air. Everything in the story is there for a reason, and there are no fillers I've come to notice in my two play throughs. I like how I got the feeling that I was coming closer and closer to the truth with each therapy session, cutscene and phone call or message. It had a great variation from the usual SH formula, though it still incorporated that idea someone in distress searching a terrifying town for their lost loved one.

I was intrigued all the way to the very end. However, I did have a problem with how short the endings were. In a way, I felt like I had gone all the way across this town to arrive to a very rushed conclusion. I felt cut-off. In my memory, I think the original SH title had longer endings.

Aesthetics/Graphics. This one had a lot to offer. With every other SH title almost following the same or similar rusty/fleshy/hellish formula, it was a nice open window to see that thrown out and replaced with the ice/snow theme. It was still a metaphor for components of the story, and it looked wonderful. The way things were suspended in the ice really looked cool, and all that blue and white in the chilly atmosphere really sent chills down my spine.

The images in the texts were also very well done. A personal favorite area from the game I liked was Lisa's apartment (before it turns to the icy world). If I could, I'd have one just like it.

Music/Sound. Awesome! Which is what I expected from Akira. He never fails to deliver the most horrifying cries of demons and the most pretty of guitar strums. It was also nice to hear new vocal songs, and even one from a character in the game.

Shattered Memories has some of the best voice acting SH has offered us so far, and I really give them kudos for that. It's about time the voice acting stepped up to the bar that's been placed by many other cinematic games on the shelves today.

I want that cellphone ringtone!

Originality/Freshness/Replay Value. This is one of the most original stories I've seen from the SH world, even if it is a re-imagining of the original game. I thought it was a lot more original than Origins or Homecoming, and I really love the psych profile idea that offers new twists and flavors to each play through, depending on the way you play.

A great replay game, and I must say I haven't even seen a game that offers this kind of variation to each play through. Sure, the Resident Evil and RE2 games offered us the same basic story through the eyes of two different characters, but I think that Shattered Memories shoots that personal hue in there that drew me in as a player.

It would, however, had been nice to notice drastic changes in the story based on how you play rather than the changes and variations mainly being aesthetic in value.

Overall, I give Shattered Memories an 8/10 on my Silent Hill scale. It was alluring, fresh and definitely what RE4 was to the RE series. I hope to see more SH like this in the future, because I believe it breathes fresh air into the deflating lungs of the town we've grown to know and love (and hate at times).

:twisted: :twisted: :wink: :D

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Jul 2009
Notes left: 3535

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Dec 2009
Notes left: 8

Post subject:

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 30 Nov 2009
Notes left: 233

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jan 2010
Notes left: 44
Last seen at: Ohio

Post subject:

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 17 Sep 2009
Notes left: 772
Last seen at: Portland, OR
Someday I may be bothered to post a review in here, but for now I will just say...

Sirea, I find myself agreeing with nearly everything you say. Just wanted you to know that.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Post subject:

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 29 Apr 2006
Notes left: 241
Last seen at: New Jersey

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
The execution does indeed matter, and Shattered Memories' execution left a bad taste in my mouth too, Sirea. I didn't go through nearly half the things you have (*brohugs gif goes here :<*) so I'm not entirely sure what triggered my less-than-enthusiastic response on a personal level. For some reason I keep going back to this idea of misconception, misunderstanding and misrepresentation of females--not in intentionally malicious ways but in ways that are still a disservice and do damage. The fact that Aura went so far as to call Cheryl's victimization RELATABLE is really quite disturbing for me.

Relatability is a very strange thing. It's not static, it's not definite/concrete, and it really does depend entirely upon the individual. I don't find Cheryl relatable, even though I have ~daddy issues~ and like to consider myself imaginative enough to put myself into many peoples shoes. Her trauma and her hardship tugged at none of my heartstrings, nor did it make me feel much of... anything. That's not to say I didn't care. I just felt a total lack of feeling for her because she was an empty shell. She wasn't even a character in the game in the sense of us being able to see her at any depth or significance. She was shown through images, heard through messages, information about her was shared through second-hand sources--but did that show us who Cheryl REALLY was? Did that make her human or a "round" character? It didn't for me, anyway. The fact that Cheryl was an elusive object made her an elusive character, and the whole twist of her being the SIGNIFICANT character (i.e., protag) fell flat with me.

Truthfully, the idea of Harry searching for Cheryl and the red herring of his memories of his family being not exactly what they seem did Cheryl the biggest disservice. I feel sorry for the idea of Cheryl since we, as the players, were never really given enough of a chance to transfer our emotions from Harry onto her. By the time we figure out she's the main character (er... to an extent), our main focus isn't, "Whoa, Cheryl's the protagonist!" but "Whoa, Harry's dead!" See the difference? The focus is on the fate of the man, instead of the girl.

I'm not saying that all women should be upset at this game or that they were intentionally going out of their way to show skewed views on the opposite sex. And though I believe that the INTENTION of the creators for any medium should be taken into account, I also believe that context, subtext, and analysis based on what is presented is just as important and in some cases may even trump the original intentions because once you make art and share it with the public, YOUR idea is no longer the only idea/truth. The reactions and perspectives of the public also matter and are just as solid as how you see things. It's all relative.

ETA: Basically, there is an idea of a Cheryl Mason; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real Cheryl: only an entity, something illusory [...] She simply is not there. (Thanks, Pat Bateman!)

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Dec 2009
Notes left: 8

Last edited by mandrel87 on 20 Jan 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Dec 2008
Notes left: 678
Sigh, I know I'll likely be ignored, but for the sake of the OP and such, could we please get back on topic? I'm not trying to flame anyone, for you all have an entitlement to express your opinions.

I may disagree with mandrel, krist, and Sirea, but those are their opinions and as such, they are entitled to them. So, how about we just all stop trying to argue and such, and just let people come in here, put up their little review, and leave it at that? I mean is it really necessary to issue a little quip here and there?

~Drake

"Oh it get's to me alright" - Vincent
My Silent Hill Fanfic, Silent Hill: Spiritual Dissonance

Post subject:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next